Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:04 PM
A&H A&H started this thread

108 posts, read 456,347 times

Advertisements

So we are considering making offer on these two ranches soon and would like to hear what you think. Both ranches in Syosset and Old Bethpage are identical in property size, living space, style and etc. Both will need some TLC. We are guessing the right price for Syosset one would be $400K and Old Bethpage one would be $360K.

Of course there will be other considerations to make the decision but just assuming all things equal except for the price, which one would you go for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:11 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&H View Post
So we are considering making offer on these two ranches soon and would like to hear what you think. Both ranches in Syosset and Old Bethpage are identical in property size, living space, style and etc. Both will need some TLC. We are guessing the right price for Syosset one would be $400K and Old Bethpage one would be $360K.

Of course there will be other considerations to make the decision but just assuming all things equal except for the price, which one would you go for?
What about the RE taxes? How do they compare?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:14 PM

taxes are just about the same around $10,000. Both ranches are pretty much identical like built by the same builder.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Between the 2, Syosset school district has more prestige than Plainview/Old Bethpage, and I believe over time Syosset's taxes will come out slightly lower because it has commercial support. On the same token, Syosset is also a lot busier than OB. Syosset is closer to stores while OB you'd have to drive out further. Personal preference there.

Schools are pretty close in numbers:
http://longisland.newsday.com/school....php?id=280502
http://longisland.newsday.com/school....php?id=280504

I believe this is one of those can't-go-wrong scenarios.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:37 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Syosset. School district has the better rep and you're closer to the north shore "downtown" areas like CSH, Huntington and Oyster Bay.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:09 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Syosset. School district has the better rep and you're closer to the north shore "downtown" areas like CSH, Huntington and Oyster Bay.

I haven't looked in these areas just heard about by reputation. It should come down to a personal preference thing, and also, realitsically you cna say that hey save the 40K.

On the other hand.... if you expand, and as time goes on, my guess is that Syosset will increase in value slightly more, and if you expand my guess is that there is more headroom in the syosset SD than plainview old bethpage, ie: if you put an extra $200K into your house for a full second story and remodel, your not at the top of the market in Syosset, where you're closer in plainview, Although I wouldn't think that would be a mistake to do in plainvew.

Forgetting test scores and reputations, I think it also should come down to how you like the SDs, is one large vs smaller? is one ultra competitive where your kids will feel too much pressure? or is the pressure a good thing? the houses can be identical, but the areas might not be.

in my area, there are streeets you want to be on b/c they area quiet and kept up very well, vs others that are on a more major side street that may not be as nicely kept, may not have many trees etc. Not that it creates a HUGE difference in price, but there are streets where it feels "right" and houses where everything is the same and the street or property feels
"wrong"

Old 01-13-2012, 08:13 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
One thing -- is the Syosset house anywhere remotely near where the Cerro wire plant was? I know there's housing to the west of it; if the mall does get approved, that could be a nightmare.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 PM

283 posts, read 581,278 times
Long story, We were bidding on a home in Syosset last summer. Nice house Quiet block or so it seemed. We were there in the middle of the afternoon one day and it seemed so noisy and i started having second thoughts. I knew we would need to expand eventually. Hubby found a bigger home /better nabe in Old Bethpage. I loved the house in old bethpage and it felt very suburban to me . Syosset (500k range) felt like queens , exactly where I was moving from. we decided we did not have to be in the supposed BEST SD. Basically we paid little more in old bethpage, and the house /nabe is perfect for us. So quiet and most importantly no expansion needed.

Go for whatever neighborhood suits you, not soley on school district. I think taxes are about the same. I wasn't sure we were making the right decision until we moved into the house, it's a tough choice!

A previous poster mentioned the pressure on the kids in school. I have to say the pressure that a lot these parents in plainview put on their kids (older then my kids) is insane. I think Syosset would be even worse. That's def something to consider.

Last edited by newmommyq; 01-13-2012 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 01:10 AM

We just got married last Sept. so we are not too worry about the SD all that much. I will look at SD only for the resell value 10 years down the road. I was told Syosset has very good kids programs during summer, after school, etc. OB is just nice and quite but like one said it's a bit out in nowhere.

It costs $200K to add a second floor to a ranch now?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:04 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&H View Post
We just got married last Sept. so we are not too worry about the SD all that much. I will look at SD only for the resell value 10 years down the road. I was told Syosset has very good kids programs during summer, after school, etc. OB is just nice and quite but like one said it's a bit out in nowhere.

It costs $200K to add a second floor to a ranch now?

well, it depends on what you actually want to do, how big the ranch is etc.

To do a nice renovation that looks somewhat different from a plain box on top of your house, with 2 baths up there it will cost significantly more than the 70K specials that they quote in the pennysaver papers. nevermind if you're residing the whole house, knocking down interior walls downstairs and remodeling the kitchen. To do all of that you're closer to the 200K mark than the 70K specials....

maybe someone else had different experiences than I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: