Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LI RE Bottom Winter 2012
Agree 22 31.88%
Disagree 47 68.12%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:39 AM

24,101 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Really? Teardowns lol ; )
17 Mosshill Pl Stony Brook NY - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #2418388 - Realtor.com®
That was my point.

Theres definitely good stuff in the 3s in 3VSD.
Stonybrook Real Estate - Stonybrook, NY Homes for Sale - Realtor.com®

Theres good stuff in the 3s in Most of LI these days ....as well there should be.
LI is fairly affordable again.

Crooks
South Setauket never went up. It's CENTEREACH folks.
The kids from there are relegated to night school by mid 10th grade. They are not treated well. Lots of Heroin use in South Setauket.

There is nothing that connects North of 25A to South Setauket.

The "S" section is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 04:43 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
South Setauket never went up. It's CENTEREACH folks.
The kids from there are relegated to night school by mid 10th grade. They are not treated well. Lots of Heroin use in South Setauket.

There is nothing that connects North of 25A to South Setauket.

The "S" section is better.
You mean other than award winning schools and apparently
heroin (btw its everywhere now)?
; )

I actually like all the Strathmores and So Setauket Park.
It boomed like everywhere else, some folks like to be further down Nichols.

It is still a tale of 2 cities. Murphy and Gelinas.
The haves and the have mores.

Great options for affordable 3V that blows the doors off of Centereach by every conceivable metric.
I dont see it getting much cheaper unless the US goes bankrupt.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 01-17-2012 at 05:29 AM..

Old 01-17-2012, 06:27 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
On the other hand, the slip in the housing market is really a repercussion of a false housing bubble. I don't think there was anything akin to the thievery and lying (at least realted to housing) that went in the mid 2000's going on in the 1920, so that's comparing apples to oranges imo.
I was looking at it in terms of slip in home ownership/housing bubble/decrease in housing prices. We went from 70% home ownership several years back to 65% in late 2010 (and probably even lower for 2011.)

Granted, banks failing in during the Great Depression vs. mortgage lending practices during the current 'recession' had a lot to do with the decrease in home ownership back then. Either way, the end result is a net loss of people who own their homes.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:51 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Really? Teardowns lol ; )
17 Mosshill Pl Stony Brook NY - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #2418388 - Realtor.com®
That was my point.

Theres definitely good stuff in the 3s in 3VSD.

Theres good stuff in the 3s in Most of LI these days ....as well there should be.
LI is fairly affordable again.

Crooks
You've given us South Setauket, the alphabet sections and 1 house on Christian.

I know the house on Christian -- it's 300 years old. It's on the north side about halfway between Ridgeway and Cedar St, closer to Cedar. It's on the section of Christian where the road comes off a curve and downhill.

The owner's late wife would argue back and forth with the folks who own the very old house on Stony Brook Rd (just south of the LIRR trestle) about whose house was the oldest house in Stony Brook. It stands at the head of Aunt Amy's creek, adjacent to the former McNamara property which had been sold off to satisfy liens. The entity which bought the McNamara property erected a large McMansion, effectively limiting the expansive water view 165 Christian once had.

The owner hadn't done anything with it since his wife died. He aged, let the house be. 300 year-old houses + deferred maintenance is not a good thing. What I fear most is someone will buy the property for $399K and tear down the house to build another McMansion -- heck, someone paid almost a million for a the house I loved on Erland only to tear that down, too.

Funny thing -- the owner was trying to get almost a million for it going back about 8-10 years ago. Had he asked $600K then, he would most likely would have gotten it.

20 Main St Stony Brook is right by the traffic light at Main and 25A. Been in that house. High water table as it is at the edge of the Mill Pond and below the upper pond. Small rooms, little yard, constant cars and trucks passing the house. I had considered buying it for an office and rental several years ago but the basement was the deal breaker.

23 Lotowana is worth looking into for someone who is handy.

5 Leatherstocking is the one that's throwing me. N25A, N Christian. Houses in that area go for more. I assume it's a handyman?

Long Hill is much nicer, and something of a transition from the 'new' Stony Brook to the old. Slightly varied housing styles as opposed to cookie cutter homes, more trees and bigger yards. There was a Long Hill Civics a while back which oversaw neighborhood beautification which I believe prevented LH from looking like the alphabet or University Heights sections. I would place the S section one notch below Long Hill and above the rest of the south Stony Brook nabes.

I believe your post serves to reiterate what 2011littlehouse had written re: alphabet section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post

PS Not really true that there are good buys in the 300s for the Three Village area. Yes, the Strathmore ranches and capes (S, H, B, M sections) now are coming back in that range - 2002-2003 prices, but many need major updates... In other areas, only houses in need of major repairs in that range still...

Old 01-17-2012, 07:51 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Uh Crooks, the suburbs of Wall Street may be taking another hit. Also there has been a long time move of WS out of the city. Now if the Island can grab some of that...
Wall Street Could Lose Nearly 10,000 More Jobs By End Of Next Year: New York Comptroller

The incredible downsizing of Wall Street
To add to that...

Morgan Stanley To Cap Cash Bonus At $125,000 (With Footnotes) | ZeroHedge

The ride for many is o-v-e-r this year and arguably the NYC metro is going to get hit the hardest with the Wall St Slam Dunks of 2012. This kind of supports the OP's point about it bottoming out this Winter because there is going to be waaaay less money injection into the area this year. In fact, it's going to be a huge pullback year for the wannabe pretend bigshots who are going to be dumping property to pay the bills.

I know Crooks... stay out of here. Maybe I'll wait until you or clamboy start another thread about moving to StoneontaSUNYTownietown upstate NY because you want off LI again. Maybe!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 AM

418 posts, read 1,069,854 times
Quote:
I think it is the ghost of a girl (photo 14) that prevents that house from selling, spooked me .
Seriously, that Sthrathmore ranch in the M-section has not sold probably because of >12k taxes, no wood floors and other updating needed (but it has a sewer!). At this point, un-updated ranches and capes in the S-section have broken into the high $200k in order to sell - several pending in the $280-290k range.

Here is a nice 4BR, 2.5B colonial in the S-section for $369k, needs some updating inside, but nice overall. It was purchased in 2005 for $510k!
And is NOT a short sale - honorable owners. It's just too big for me, otherwise the price is right.
124 Sycamore Cir, Stony Brook, NY 11790 | MLS# 2460449

Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
I think it is the ghost of a girl (photo 14) that prevents that house from selling, spooked me .
LOL...never ceases to amaze what actually makes it on the MLS. "Yeah, this is a good picture - go with this one..."

Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
Quote:
At this point, un-updated ranches and capes in the S-section have broken into the high $200k in order to sell - several pending in the $280-290k range.
Anything selling in that range is a complete gut.

Quote:
Here is a nice 4BR, 2.5B colonial in the S-section for $369k, needs some updating inside, but nice overall. It was purchased in 2005 for $510k!
And is NOT a short sale - honorable owners. It's just too big for me, otherwise the price is right.
124 Sycamore Cir, Stony Brook, NY 11790 | MLS# 2460449
I personally looked at this house in august. It looks good in the pictures, but the inside was gross. It need major upgrades. And to top it off....its on the the circle.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Anything selling in that range is a complete gut.

I personally looked at this house in august. It looks good in the pictures, but the inside was gross. It need major upgrades. And to top it off....its on the the circle.
Yep, the no pictures of the inside is a red flag. I'm thinking 60K in Kitchen and bathroom upgrades alone.

JD on the other hand...

Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 AM

418 posts, read 1,069,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Yep, the no pictures of the inside is a red flag. I'm thinking 60K in Kitchen and bathroom upgrades alone.
Their previous listing had inside pictures - decoration not my taste but did not look horrible at all. Yet, nothing like seeing it in person - suzook may be right - I have not been inside the house.

All is relative in terms of condition. Compared to houses in the upper $300k north of 25A, these upper $200k-s in the S-section are in good condition...
Either way, if they are selling (which seems to be the case), they are affecting the comps for the months to come, like it or not.
Right now, still most sales there are in the $350-400k range. Even for an updated house, I would not go >$400k in the S-section due to the volatile nature of the market. But, generalization never work , just like this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island