Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:21 PM

4 posts, read 18,558 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone--first time poster. I am considering moving to the Five Towns, specifically Hewlett area. I would love any information and impressions about this section of Long Island.

We are looking for a house between $320-400K. We have two kids, aged 2 and 4. A good public school system is important to us since paying high taxes means it would be tough to do private school. I hear a lot about SD14 and it's a reason for moving there...is it worth the hype?

What are your impressions of: safety, community, and in general, the people who live in this area? (We are not Jewish and I see a lot of postings about that in relation to this area...) I'm looking for a sense of community, a place where my kids can grow up and be involved in activities, sports, etc. Also living not too far from the city is important as my husband and I currently both work in Brooklyn. We plan to train or car pool depending on how crazy traffic might be. A commute that is 45 min - 1 hour is key.

I grew up in upstate NY, went to college in NY and lived in Manhattan/Astoria for the past 7 years--so pretty much a New Yorker thru and thru! Any input on Hewlett/Five Towns is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 01:25 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY NY View Post
Hi everyone--first time poster. I am considering moving to the Five Towns, specifically Hewlett area. I would love any information and impressions about this section of Long Island.

We are looking for a house between $320-400K. We have two kids, aged 2 and 4. A good public school system is important to us since paying high taxes means it would be tough to do private school. I hear a lot about SD14 and it's a reason for moving there...is it worth the hype?

What are your impressions of: safety, community, and in general, the people who live in this area? (We are not Jewish and I see a lot of postings about that in relation to this area...) I'm looking for a sense of community, a place where my kids can grow up and be involved in activities, sports, etc. Also living not too far from the city is important as my husband and I currently both work in Brooklyn. We plan to train or car pool depending on how crazy traffic might be. A commute that is 45 min - 1 hour is key.

I grew up in upstate NY, went to college in NY and lived in Manhattan/Astoria for the past 7 years--so pretty much a New Yorker thru and thru! Any input on Hewlett/Five Towns is appreciated!
I am in Cedarhurst. Hewlett is a little better than Cedarhurst with regards to community, but there isn't a whole lot. The whole area is very religious-oriented, but like I said, Hewlett is a little better than my part. The closest park in Hewlett is Grant Park, the trains are on the Far Rockaway line.

It is a generally safe area, but it DOES get really bad to drive around during rush hour, especially so on Friday afternoon. There are not many great restaurants in the area, unless you want Kosher botcheries of food. We find ourselves having to either go towards Island Park/Oceanside, or up to Rockville Center/Lynbrook to get food.

I've posted quite a few threads about the area.. look them up if you are curious, or send me a DM.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 PM

225 posts, read 715,675 times
IMO, Hewlett is a pretty nice area. Nice homes & really good schools. There's also a lot of restaurants & boutique shops...a little pricey tho. Also, if you're a commuter, the LIRR has a station in Hewlett, so it's a perfect location.

I currently live in East Rockaway (next town over from Hewlett) and was looking at purchasing a co-op there on Broadway. All of the Five Towns are very Jewish, but I feel like in Hewlett it's a little less noticeable, if that makes any sense. I'm not Jewish and would strongly consider moving to Hewlett. I would feel comfortable and not out of place...

Hewlett has a really good school district, but just also be aware that they have very high taxes. This is why I had to take my co-op search elsewhere, because the maintenance fees were through the roof b/c of the taxes.

And yes, as Kayfouroh mentioned, traffic is killer along Broadway during AM/PM rush hour.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 PM

thank for the input!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 PM

247 posts, read 510,773 times
I lived in Lawrence and used to spend a lot of time in Hewlett long ago...if you'd like some honest insight, please feel free to send me a PM!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:

It's a nice area. There are some glaring concerns. The Five Towns have always been a predominantly Jewish area. I lived in a predominantly Jewish area - actually two of them, but this was 30 years ago.

I think that if neither of you are Jewish, and you want good schools at that low price, I would look elsewhere

Here are my best very close to the city chaises - Syosset
Oyster Bay
Glen Cove
East Norwich
Locust Valley
Bayville
Merrick

Check these areas out.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:

Other suggestions - I am thinking of places with good elementary schools and a lot of homes in your price range and under.

Hicksville
Farmingdale
W. Hempsatead
Floral Park
Valley Stream
Lynbrook
Seaford
Bethpage
East Meadow

These are other solidly middle class areas with decent schools at the elementary level.

Best of luck!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It's a nice area. There are some glaring concerns.
I'm curious, in your opinion, what the glaring concerns are? Safety or other?

Old 01-18-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I'm curious, in your opinion, what the glaring concerns are? Safety or other?

Absolutely not safety. My concerns are the state of the public schools now, since many very religious Jews have moved into the Five Towns, and established their own Yeshivas. That would be my first concern.

My husband is Jewish and he would not live there because they are is "too Religious" Stores shut down on Fridays and Saturdays, and people tend to be wary of outsiders - not only non Jews, but Reform Jews. I don't know how welcoming the community would be to this family.

For me, I would not want to be a total minority in an area. I like diversity. My own family and extended family are diverse - WASP, Jewish, Korean, (adopted daughter)

Then there is the public school issue. I do not think that this non-Jewish couple will be sending their kids to a Yeshiva. They asked for "good schools" and in 2011, the schools in the Five Towns are not known as "good".

Price is another concern.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:10 PM

156 posts, read 448,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Absolutely not safety. My concerns are the state of the public schools now, since many very religious Jews have moved into the Five Towns, and established their own Yeshivas. That would be my first concern.

My husband is Jewish and he would not live there because they are is "too Religious" Stores shut down on Fridays and Saturdays, and people tend to be wary of outsiders - not only non Jews, but Reform Jews. I don't know how welcoming the community would be to this family.

For me, I would not want to be a total minority in an area. I like diversity. My own family and extended family are diverse - WASP, Jewish, Korean, (adopted daughter)

Then there is the public school issue. I do not think that this non-Jewish couple will be sending their kids to a Yeshiva. They asked for "good schools" and in 2011, the schools in the Five Towns are not known as "good".

Price is another concern.
I think most of your school concerns are issues in Lawerence, not Hewlett-Woodmere. Although I agree about the lack of diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island