Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,746,807 times

Advertisements

Someone please explain to me how Mastic Beach is an incorporated village - or even slightly resembles one at that. I seriously think MB residents or whoever is on the "village" board has never visited, or seen a picture of a real Long Island village. You are all insane. It is the sewer of the south shore, always has been, always will be.

Now, Lets put it into perspective. Where is the village center??? is it by the state of the art handy pantry? or the lovely row of boarded up stores?? only to be revived by a gas station and another dive deli.

the village meetings are at the high school for christ sake. The art fair/festival/whatever the hell you lowlifes want to call it takes place in the train station parking lot where the homeless and bag ladys flock in packs...Meanwhile Sayville is having their gatherings in a beautiful park - Islip Grange.

I just don't understand how incorporating did this miserable excuse for a town any good. If anything it made it, and it's residents look dumber.

I would love to go shopping or perhaps just spend a nice evening with friends in the thriving downtown business district, If only I could be lucky enough to find it. To think I have spent precious time in dumpy towns like Sayville & Westhampton Beach when such glorious things were happening right around the corner in affluent Mistake Beach.

Please someone - be my light and guide me to this hidden gem of the south shore.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:39 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,622,772 times
According to NYS Geographic Glossary, "A village is a general purpose municipal corporation formed voluntarily by the residents of an area in one or more towns to provide themselves with municipal services. The pattern of village organization is similar to those of a city. A village is divided into neighborhoods, which are informal geographic areas."

The residents of what is now the Village of Mastic Beach voted to incorporate and formed a village after a vote on Aug 31, 2010 where incorporation was approved by an almost 3 to 1 margin.

There are many villages on Long Island that do not have a 'downtown' nor a 'village hall' (in some cases the villages official records are kept in the basement of the village clerk's residence).

By the way, Westhampton Beach is a village, too. So is Westhampton Dunes.

The Village of South Floral Park encompasses (this may be too powerful a verb to be using here) an area of only 64 acres!

According to my quick calculation, 64 acres = 0.1 square miles (yep, that's a 1/10th of a square mile). In other words, if the Village of South Floral Park was a perfect square, then each of its sides would be slightly less than 1/3rd of a mile (actually each side would be 0.316 miles and the perimeter of the village would be 1.265 miles).

The Village of South Floral Park in the Town of Hempstead in Nassau County is the smallest village in either Nassau or Suffolk Counties in terms of acreage because it is also the smallest in New York State.

The Village of Dering Harbor in the Town of Shelter Island and the Village of Saltaire in the Town of Islip, both in Suffolk County, are the 1st and 2nd smallest in New York State in terms of population with 15 and 48 year-round residents, respectively.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to NYS Geographic Glossary, "A village is a general purpose municipal corporation formed voluntarily by the residents of an area in one or more towns to provide themselves with municipal services. The pattern of village organization is similar to those of a city. A village is divided into neighborhoods, which are informal geographic areas."

The residents of what is now the Village of Mastic Beach voted to incorporate and formed a village after a vote on Aug 31, 2010 where incorporation was approved by an almost 3 to 1 margin.

There are many villages on Long Island that do not have a 'downtown' nor a 'village hall' (in some cases the villages official records are kept in the basement of the village clerk's residence).

By the way, Westhampton Beach is a village, too. So is Westhampton Dunes.

The Village of South Floral Park encompasses (this may be too powerful a verb to be using here) an area of only 64 acres!

According to my quick calculation, 64 acres = 0.1 square miles (yep, that's a 1/10th of a square mile). In other words, if the Village of South Floral Park was a perfect square, then each of its sides would be slightly less than 1/3rd of a mile (actually each side would be 0.316 miles and the perimeter of the village would be 1.265 miles).

The Village of South Floral Park in the Town of Hempstead in Nassau County is the smallest village in either Nassau or Suffolk Counties in terms of acreage because it is also the smallest in New York State.

The Village of Dering Harbor in the Town of Shelter Island and the Village of Saltaire in the Town of Islip, both in Suffolk County, are the 1st and 2nd smallest in New York State in terms of population with 15 and 48 year-round residents, respectively.
How did Nassau or any other town get into the picture???

I am also aware of Westhampton Beach being a village, and it actually looks like one.

This is about Mastic Beach being a joke of a village. At least attempt to stay on topic Walt.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,622,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
This is about Mastic Beach being a joke of a village. At least attempt to stay on topic Walt. ;)
If the Village of Mastic Beach, population 12,489 is a joke, then what about the Village of Dering Harbor, population 15?

Have you ever been in 'downtown' Dering Harbor or visited the Dering Harbor 'village hall'?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
If the Village of Mastic Beach, population 12,489 is a joke, then what about the Village of Dering Harbor, population 15?

Have you ever been in 'downtown' Dering Harbor or visited the Dering Harbor 'village hall'?
Those are completely different stories. Compare Mastics 12,489 population with another village of the same population/character and see which one is more on track.

I am not saying it is a joke in terms of population. It is a joke as in it's the sewer of Long Island.

Damn Walter...and I thought I was literal.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,639,962 times
Rome wasn't built in a day. The Village is not even 2 years old. Anything they enact will take some time before change is seen. Wasn't one of the reasons for incorporation to wrest control of code enforcement from the Town of Brookhaven? Maybe 10 or 15 years from now there will be some improvement.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:10 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,277,087 times
I heard they built a Mastic Beach Village Hall already, but it got flooded and sucked out into the ocean on a breezy day.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:40 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,123,473 times
LOl@masticbeachvillage

Old 01-19-2012, 04:14 PM

4,695 posts, read 8,735,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
I heard they built a Mastic Beach Village Hall already, but it got flooded and sucked out into the ocean on a breezy day.
did it have wheels?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:36 PM

33,886 posts, read 47,082,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Someone please explain to me how Mastic Beach is an incorporated village - or even slightly resembles one at that. I seriously think MB residents or whoever is on the "village" board has never visited, or seen a picture of a real Long Island village. You are all insane. It is the sewer of the south shore, always has been, always will be.

Now, Lets put it into perspective. Where is the village center??? is it by the state of the art handy pantry? or the lovely row of boarded up stores?? only to be revived by a gas station and another dive deli.

the village meetings are at the high school for christ sake. The art fair/festival/whatever the hell you lowlifes want to call it takes place in the train station parking lot where the homeless and bag ladys flock in packs...Meanwhile Sayville is having their gatherings in a beautiful park - Islip Grange.

I just don't understand how incorporating did this miserable excuse for a town any good. If anything it made it, and it's residents look dumber.

I would love to go shopping or perhaps just spend a nice evening with friends in the thriving downtown business district, If only I could be lucky enough to find it. To think I have spent precious time in dumpy towns like Sayville & Westhampton Beach when such glorious things were happening right around the corner in affluent Mistake Beach.

Please someone - be my light and guide me to this hidden gem of the south shore.
To me it just looks like another classic "beat up on another town/village/hamlet" LI thread.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island