Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your total household income on Long Island?
Under 100k 22 21.36%
Over 125k 30 29.13%
Over 150k 35 33.98%
Over 200k 16 15.53%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:41 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,149,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
We can always move back, especially now that it's "affordable".

Most choose not to.

You sure can.

If you can find a Long Island buyer.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 08:47 AM

20,911 posts, read 28,343,654 times
I'd like to know what the people who make over 150,000 or even 200,000 do for a living. Are they brain surgeons???LOL

Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 AM

162 posts, read 382,895 times
most over 150 are probably 2 incomes

Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 AM

22,658 posts, read 36,707,761 times
No, lubby, I'm sure most brain surgeons make quite a bit more than that.

You'd probably be surprised at the occupations that pay quite a bit of money. A State Farm agent making $150K is considered a lower tier, "smaller" agent. Just one example from an industry I am familiar with.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,116,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Reporting taxes and filling out a census form are two completely different things... and the census info comes solely from their forms, not W-2s. You can write whatever you want down on it, and you're not going to get in any sort of trouble for putting your income as $500k even if you didn't pay any taxes that year, or that you have 37 people living in a 5-room bungalow.

That said, I'm still sure that MOST drug dealers and 12-year old snow shovelers are not writing that info down anywhere, LOL.

However - the numbers published by the Census Bureau are not static, actual figures. I think they get about 20-30% of the forms back that they send out, and the rest is estimated based off those and other research. Obviously, owners of most illegally subdivided buildings and off-the-books income earners are not accurately reporting that information, but the Census takes that into account and tries to represent it accordingly. One of my friends worked for them during the preparation for the 2010 version and his job was to go out canvassing neighborhoods and trying to figure out exactly how many housing units there were per building and how many people lived in them. I'm sure they've got whole teams of other people researching income, demographics, etc., etc.

So even though it's not truly 100% accurate, it's as good an estimate as we're ever going to get!
The Census Bureau says they don't give out the information to other agencies, but even so there are still a lot of people who don't trust them.

For the income, I think you have to put down what field you work in, and what the income was. I guess you could just put down your true income from your job, and if you really want to, you could put any off-the-books income down as "other" or something. But for the number of people living in a dwelling, I don't think people would want to put down anybody who isn't supposed to be there.

Here are two versions of the census form:
http://www.census.gov/schools/pdf/2010form_info.pdf
http://2010.census.gov/2010census/pd...naire_Info.pdf

I don't think people would be willing to put down the first and last names of anybody who's not supposed to be there.

As far as the reporting goes, they have the community surveys (done every 1 year, 3 years, and 5 years), and the official 2010 census. The community surveys are just estimates, so then they try to control for subdivided homes and things like that, but for the census, they don't do that.

What happens is that around 70% of the forms mailed out are actually returned (and even then, you don't know if they're filled out accurately). For the remaining 30%, they go up to the people's homes, but even then they can't count everybody. Do you really think the census taker is going to go up to the person and say "I know you have more people living in here than you're putting down on the form", when the home is in a questionable area?

The official census is as close as we're going to get to knowing the demographics, but there are still many inaccuracies between the actual data and recorded data.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:15 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,854,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I can't believe only 7/34 voters here have household incomes under $100k.

It surprises me b/c a lot of forumers complain about not being able/barely able to afford LI but if your that well-off then you should not be struggling at all (unless you have a very extravagent lifestyle). My household is in the early 100k's and we live very comfortably [I have no problem admitting that since we're all anonymous anyways].

Very intriguing.
most people have a lot of luxuries they'd rather not give up. A $30/mo data plan, $5 texting plan, on top of their minutes plan are also luxuries. Who actually needs a $200 cellphone, a $500-$1000 tv, summer camp for the kids, or dinner away from home every other night?

Old 01-22-2012, 02:36 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,779,554 times
My husband and I are in the $150-200K income range. I am an attorney and outearn my husband (who is an IT techie in a civil service job) by only a few thousand dollars - however I have a part time job that nets me anywhere from an additional 10-20K/year.

Last year, we were almost at 190K (total income, not AGI). I havent yet read all our 2011 W-2s so I dont know where we are for this year, but I presume we will still be under $200K since my part time job income was much lower than prior years (and expect it to disappear altogether once the real estate market bounces back up). In that case, on our base salaries alone for our F/T jobs, its around $150-165K (AGI).

Old 01-22-2012, 03:28 PM

20,911 posts, read 28,343,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
My husband and I are in the $150-200K income range. I am an attorney and outearn my husband (who is an IT techie in a civil service job) by only a few thousand dollars - however I have a part time job that nets me anywhere from an additional 10-20K/year.

Last year, we were almost at 190K (total income, not AGI). I havent yet read all our 2011 W-2s so I dont know where we are for this year, but I presume we will still be under $200K since my part time job income was much lower than prior years (and expect it to disappear altogether once the real estate market bounces back up). In that case, on our base salaries alone for our F/T jobs, its around $150-165K (AGI).
you are making that much and have a part time job? Well I guess it all depends where you live, your monthly expenses, debt, etc... right?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:44 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,419,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I'd like to know what the people who make over 150,000 or even 200,000 do for a living. Are they brain surgeons???LOL
Teachers and cops, silly. "My son the doctor" went to the bottom of the pay scale a long time ago.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:30 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,779,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
you are making that much and have a part time job? Well I guess it all depends where you live, your monthly expenses, debt, etc... right?
Well actually no. I just like more money..haha!

My student loans after law school were pretty moderate ($65-75K) but I had this part time job since around 2007 when my salary was much lower. My salary didnt really start going up until 2008 when I changed firms, and last year my firm gave me a 30% raise because I was promoted to a senior level position. I actually paid for my wedding with the proceeds of my part time job and since I had a relationship with the company since 2007, I decided to keep it - but only take assignments when it doesnt conflict with my full time hours. Rght now I am trying to pay off my student loans (only 20K left) plus I need to unload my underwater condo so that my husband and I can move into another home in a few years (personally not crazy about the way our block is changing and want to move closer to my job). So at this point, I dont really "need" the part time income but its just nice to have more $$ for retirement/savings, and mortgage repayment. I always hustled for cash though - in college I held a full time job and also a part time evening job because I didnt want to take on massive loans for college - I remember doing all sorts of odd jobs for cash just to have the $$ to buy those Gucci shoes without credit cards!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: