Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your total household income on Long Island?
Under 100k 22 21.36%
Over 125k 30 29.13%
Over 150k 35 33.98%
Over 200k 16 15.53%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:17 AM

72 posts, read 193,516 times

Advertisements

THe median income of both suffolk/nassau county is 103 k. Most people are NOT making over 150k a year, unless they are public school teachers, cops, lawyers,doctors. Most people are NOT in those professions. As a matter of fact, the majority of people I worked with in my last full time job were making less than 100k a year combined (I worked as a private school teacher). I believe these numbers are inflated. Last year my family income was 140k (which is significantly lower than what we used to take in, 160k). I only work part time, but my husband makes 120k a year. We live in Medford, our property taxes are 6k(we got them lowered) and our mortgage is paid off. We do not have debt of any kind anymore. Our income is fine, comfortable, with one child. But, we chose to live in a small house, not buy expensive cars and pay with cash(although we will now have to use credit cards, otherwise we will have no credit rating). I believe most people that live on Long Island live WAAAY over their means
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 04:25 AM

72 posts, read 193,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I don't mean any offense but I was making $12/hr doing clerical before college in the mid-90s. That was through a temp agency. Don't they pay more these days?

As for the salaries that are up there, I'm sure Manhattan jobs has a lot to do with it (also why a lot are on LI). My wife's bonus just for being in a financial firm there is more than 10x my bonus, if I get one at all. We're both IT. I used to make more than her but what they can afford to pay out there slingshotted past my salary about 5 years in.
No, they do not pay more than that now. As a matter of fact, most pay less and employers are absolutely taking advantage of the troubled times. I am hoping they have a hard time finding qualified people in the near future and karma bites them hard

Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelamb3 View Post
THe median income of both suffolk/nassau county is 103 k. Most people are NOT making over 150k a year, unless they are public school teachers, cops, lawyers,doctors. Most people are NOT in those professions. As a matter of fact, the majority of people I worked with in my last full time job were making less than 100k a year combined (I worked as a private school teacher). I believe these numbers are inflated. Last year my family income was 140k (which is significantly lower than what we used to take in, 160k). I only work part time, but my husband makes 120k a year. We live in Medford, our property taxes are 6k(we got them lowered) and our mortgage is paid off. We do not have debt of any kind anymore. Our income is fine, comfortable, with one child. But, we chose to live in a small house, not buy expensive cars and pay with cash(although we will now have to use credit cards, otherwise we will have no credit rating). I believe most people that live on Long Island live WAAAY over their means

The 2010 census indicated the median household income for Nassau $93K, Suffolk $85K.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:22 AM

294 posts, read 743,886 times
Looking at the choices, I guess I'm officially poor.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 AM

222 posts, read 892,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Teachers and cops, silly. "My son the doctor" went to the bottom of the pay scale a long time ago.
Unfortunately, it's crazy to think what it takes to make a decent living in LI or any of these NTC suburbs. I went to Hofstra grad school in the 90's....and ended up in health care finance. Much of this is perspective, because my wife and I earned approximately $235K in 2011 and will probably cross $250K in 2012...yet I drive a hatchback and don't feel privileged in any way...No kids and still concerned about savings and general affordability....

Old 04-05-2012, 08:26 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I know plenty of sales people living on LI that are making in the $100K $200K+ range.
I would say sales, finance and even local/small business owners.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I would say sales, finance and even local/small business owners.
Healthcare - nurses, doctors, practicioners, chiropracters, dentists, pharmacists (you can include the "street" ones in this category).
Public sector - engineer,teacher,police
Private - small business owner, technology, software engineer, marketing, sales, finance executives, bankers, importers of goods(), cosmetics

Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Healthcare - nurses, doctors, practicioners, chiropracters, dentists, pharmacists (you can include the "street" ones in this category).
Public sector - engineer,teacher,police
Private - small business owner, technology, software engineer, marketing, sales, finance executives, bankers, importers of goods(), cosmetics
aka sales.

Show off...gotta' get all detailed on me!

Old 04-05-2012, 12:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
Unfortunately, it's crazy to think what it takes to make a decent living in LI or any of these NTC suburbs. I went to Hofstra grad school in the 90's....and ended up in health care finance. Much of this is perspective, because my wife and I earned approximately $235K in 2011 and will probably cross $250K in 2012...yet I drive a hatchback and don't feel privileged in any way...No kids and still concerned about savings and general affordability....
Are you supporting a huge mansion you inherited in Old Westbury or something?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:26 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,535 times
yeah, there are a ton of jobs where $150k is par, even mid-level sales jobs, actuaries, accountants, bottom barrel lawyers, advertising, marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No, lubby, I'm sure most brain surgeons make quite a bit more than that.

You'd probably be surprised at the occupations that pay quite a bit of money. A State Farm agent making $150K is considered a lower tier, "smaller" agent. Just one example from an industry I am familiar with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: