Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 06:52 PM

909 posts, read 1,837,107 times

Advertisements

Anybody that bought at the height of the market was very foolish. As long as Manhattan is a safe vibrant place to live and work LI will have no trouble with the values. The overspill of Queens and Brooklyn will continue like the last 60 years. Problem here is alot of the people leaving and complaining about LI are just upset that Italians and Irish aren't the ones coming now. Current residents don't realize that these people are just trying to provide their families with some of the same things their grandparents wanted for them. Schools will continue to be good and people that have the money will buy the houses. Don't be surprised if some towns become highly populated by Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 07:03 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Anybody that bought at the height of the market was very foolish. As long as Manhattan is a safe vibrant place to live and work LI will have no trouble with the values. The overspill of Queens and Brooklyn will continue like the last 60 years. Problem here is alot of the people leaving and complaining about LI are just upset that Italians and Irish aren't the ones coming now. Current residents don't realize that these people are just trying to provide their families with some of the same things their grandparents wanted for them. Schools will continue to be good and people that have the money will buy the houses. Don't be surprised if some towns become highly populated by Asians.
People who bought at the height of the market saw values increasing with each day -- they didn't have a crystal ball to tell them the market peaked. I am very happy I bought in '96.

Problem #1 -- not everyone works in Manhattan. As businesses leave the area and take jobs with them, people will either have to move or struggle to find a new job. As the economy continues it's downward turn, those of us in LI-based service-oriented businesses have to be more creative to stay afloat. People aren't spending like they used to.

Problem #2 -- this isn't a race/immigrant issue. Plenty of us live in areas where there is an ethnically, racially, and religiously diverse population. To suggest white flight is changing the face of LI is so 1960's.

Problem #3 -- as taxes rise, programs are cut. Schools can't maintain their edge if they can't put money into programs.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:31 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,856 times
Reasons to move to LI: (besides good food and beaches)

- Some people prefer to live in a place thats "popular" and heard of.

- Convenience

- Jobs

Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Uh...

Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What I don't get is people who are always downing LI as awful, unhappy, unhealthy, undesirable, etc., etc., etc., but who have planted themselves on it for the most tenuous of reasons and are prepared to stay here for decades to come, complaining all the way. That behavior is more ridiculous than the expats who are obsessed with telling us how bad LI is. Who is crazy enough to spend the best years of their life in a place they hate, surrounded by people they hate?
Have to agree ILLIb. I am happy here and I am surviving even. I know it is far from perfect but it isn't that bad either if some of the factors are in your favor. I have almost all of mine and my wife's family hear (hi AR9) plus tons of great lifetime friends so we are very tied to LI. I have traveled the country and a decent amount of the world so I have an idea of what some of the rest of things are like.

This board is a place I come to learn about LI (and maybe some other areas), get a laugh, vent and simply communicate. I like to argue a point with the best of them but I pick my battles here - sometimes because I am not smart enough on the topic (or in general) and many times because I see it is going to be one of those never ending sagas. In real life I am considered easy to get along with, a little passionate about what I believe in but I love to laugh (possibly have a little too much energy at 7am for some people's taste) and like to make others laugh so usually I can take a few jabs. This thread is a little much.

I understand that many people have left LI and have done very (even extremely) well financially, enjoyed themselves socially and even picked up a nicer, newer house on more land in a nicer climate with neighbors they love with a much lower COL. That is great - for you. It is nice to hear that there is a place other than LI with good schools and great people and it is fine to hear that, but some of this is a little over the top IMO.

I just could not see myself defending my decision to leave with post after post, thread after thread of statistics, links on facts and maybe a few unintentional (or otherwise) insults along the way ON THE LI branch of C-D.

As for those of you that still live here and constantly rip LI? I know some of you are stuck here financially or due to family. I wish you the best in relocating somewhere else that is better for you or finding a better situation. There are still tons of people that love it here, aren't "typical" NY a--holes and are making their way.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:53 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Reasons to move to LI: (besides good food and beaches)

- Some people prefer to live in a place thats "popular" and heard of.

- Convenience

- Jobs
Are brown water? only place i can remember having blue water was montauk point.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times
Quote:
Is there anywhere else in the country where a 60 yr old development home goes for 400k?
LOL... are you asking this as a buyer or seller ?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:07 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
LOL... are you asking this as a buyer or seller ?
I am asking this as a homeowner who bought for 175k 10 yrs ago and more than doubled the value of his home after a terrible downturn in the economy...lol. More than I can say for those buying disposable home built out of garbage materials in greener pastures. Also I would never purchase a home that was part of a development even ( especially) on LI because I am in the field and know. Also anyone that purchases a home on a slab is uninformed ad well.

Last edited by Galicia#1; 01-25-2012 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: Just trying to clarify my statements.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:10 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Have to agree ILLIb. I am happy here and I am surviving even. I know it is far from perfect but it isn't that bad either if some of the factors are in your favor. I have almost all of mine and my wife's family hear (hi AR9) plus tons of great lifetime friends so we are very tied to LI. I have traveled the country and a decent amount of the world so I have an idea of what some of the rest of things are like.

This board is a place I come to learn about LI (and maybe some other areas), get a laugh, vent and simply communicate. I like to argue a point with the best of them but I pick my battles here - sometimes because I am not smart enough on the topic (or in general) and many times because I see it is going to be one of those never ending sagas. In real life I am considered easy to get along with, a little passionate about what I believe in but I love to laugh (possibly have a little too much energy at 7am for some people's taste) and like to make others laugh so usually I can take a few jabs. This thread is a little much.

I understand that many people have left LI and have done very (even extremely) well financially, enjoyed themselves socially and even picked up a nicer, newer house on more land in a nicer climate with neighbors they love with a much lower COL. That is great - for you. It is nice to hear that there is a place other than LI with good schools and great people and it is fine to hear that, but some of this is a little over the top IMO.

I just could not see myself defending my decision to leave with post after post, thread after thread of statistics, links on facts and maybe a few unintentional (or otherwise) insults along the way ON THE LI branch of C-D.

As for those of you that still live here and constantly rip LI? I know some of you are stuck here financially or due to family. I wish you the best in relocating somewhere else that is better for you or finding a better situation. There are still tons of people that love it here, aren't "typical" NY a--holes and are making their way.
Good post.

I try not to get into debates and arguments but when I see something patently stupid I do respond.

I don't think most people are as miserable as their venting here may portray. Most of the time they are just going thru their day-to-day life and not thinking about it. It's the nature of being able to get it all out there that makes it seem worse here.

I never liked living on LI as an adult but I didn't go around in misery all the time. I enjoyed what was good and looked for enjoyable things while I lived there. But once you make the decision to leave things probably become more glaring, just as the opposite is also true (like if you're trying to decide between 2 towns, and then you choose one, the other one automatically becomes undesirable).

The extremes are always the loudest....the ones who cannot admit any flaws on LI and the ones who can't see ANYTHING good are the loudest here.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Quote:
I am asking this as a homeowner who bought for 175k 10 yrs ago and more than doubled the value of his home after a terrible downturn in the economy...lol. More than I can say for those buying disposable home built out of garbage materials in greener pastures.
You've potentially doubled your value, you won't really know until you actually sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island