Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 01:24 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times

Advertisements

Its a shame you are forced to live in such a terrible place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
What are you talking about personal issues....When govt wants a piece of everything and just come up with additional areas to add a tax how in the world do you say . I have watched hundreds of my friends leave with their business for those reasons. .. . I stayed while they left, and they are all correct we pay more and are charged more from utilities to taxes and bs licenses that they don't have . . .they have less bills, less overhead, less cost, more employees, larger shops no special electric costs or gas costs, no hidden taxes, no one adding taxes to the propane because its for business use... Are you insane you have no clue how many times the govt is in your pocket and doing it ilegally

This thread is asking in REALITY... How should i LIE to people to HOOK them to move here....

You just don't want to admit the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 01:28 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
Never said it was a great thing but, the selection is. Seven brothers and Valencia are two of the better high end delis around. You should check those 2 first. So yeah, long island is pretty great food wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
...and that's a good thing?!?!

They have Boars Head on a roll pretty much all over the country. Hardly makes for great delis. More like beer stores that sell sandwiches and lottery tickets.

There ARE a lot of great gourmet Italian salumerias. I brag about that often and have sent care packages to expat friends. Of course NY had to over-regulate and made it illegal for them to cure salami and sausage in the store. Now they have to get an off-site location or do it in Jersey and truck it in. The days of home made sausage curing in the store (not pre-packaged Parma) are gone.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:37 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Besides beach, pizza, bagels and being in the shadow of NYC why should someone move to the Island?
What opportunities are available to someone starting out?
How easy is it to start a business?
Which companies are moving into the area?
What are my options for housing and lifestyle?

Believe it or not this is a serious question that I'd really like to see answered.
So if you were going to sell someone from out of the area on why they should move to Island, what would you put before them?
If it wasn't for the sky-high taxes, I truly believe that Long Island would be heaven on earth (though there would still be issues like traffic, crappy public transportation and such but no society is perfect). Here is what I think are Long Island's advantages to most other suburbs throughout the country;

- Has the best beaches in the Northeast US (though of course a few will disagree)
- Close proximatey to the undisputed best city in the USA, if not the world.
- All different types of communities where every type of person has many options and could feel at home
- Huge variations in housing styles (in most areas) so somebody doesn't have to deal with the boring/soulless Cookie-cutterness.
- More entertainment/leisure options compared to most other suburbs throughout the country. Long Island just has more "life" to it.
- Strong commercial/job base so you have a good chance of not having to commute into the city for work
- Bragging rights: LOL, [most] women throughout the country go crazy over you when you tell them you're from New York!! {to all the single guys out there}
- No/very few tolls on main roadways

I've been looking into other areas to move to and travelling around a bit but when I weigh in the pro's and con's of each area compared to Long Island (in an unbiased manner), LI still comes out on top. I know this doesn't answer all of your questions but it's something to keep in mind.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 02-05-2012 at 02:23 PM..

Old 02-05-2012, 03:57 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
If it wasn't for the sky-high taxes, I truly believe that Long Island would be heaven on earth (though .

LOL yea a condo every 2 feet for 20 miles is heaven lol give me a brake
mybee for a city slicker not for the people who were born here.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
If it wasn't for the sky-high taxes, I truly believe that Long Island would be heaven on earth (though there would still be issues like traffic, crappy public transportation and such but no society is perfect). Here is what I think are Long Island's advantages to most other suburbs throughout the country;

- Has the best beaches in the Northeast US (though of course a few will disagree)
- Close proximatey to the undisputed best city in the USA, .
Lol NYC is a craphole atlantic city blows NYC out of the water i hate citys
but if you think NYC is the best you need to come back to earth my friend.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:07 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Sorry inception937, your weather post has already been unseated as "dumbest of 2012."

Atlantic City, LULZ!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Sorry inception937, your weather post has already been unseated as "dumbest of 2012."

Atlantic City, LULZ!
Think what you want but theirs nothing even remotely special about NYC.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:16 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,800 times
Quote:
Think what you want but theirs nothing even remotely special about NYC.
Even if there wasn't - which is a hilarious notion in and of itself - there are hundreds of places in the US one could consider ahead of the turd known as Atlantic City.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:19 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
LOL yea a condo every 2 feet for 20 miles is heaven lol give me a brake
mybee for a city slicker not for the people who were born here.
Every society NEEDS a certain amount of condo's, apartments and other medium-density housing. If not then all the prospective-renters will just move into houses and create the illegal apartments you seem to not be too fond of. Or they may even leave the entire region (many being the useful labor of younger people).

But even if you don't enjoy the entertainment options that the city has, you still enjoy the fruits of it like a much more stable regional economy and such. At least you have the CHOICE of having a fun night out in the city if your friends ever wanted to.

Quote:
LOL, I shouldn't even dignify that with a response!

Atlantic City is basically a knock-off Las Vegas. Also, once you leave the boardwalk, you might as well be in Newark, NJ.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Even if there wasn't - which is a hilarious notion in and of itself - there are hundreds of places in the US one could consider ahead of the turd known as Atlantic City.
I didn"t say Atlantic City was the best i said it was better then NYC
witch isin"t hard to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island