Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with this, but at the same time I also love Long Island to death. All the intangible good far outweighs the evil of greedy government scumbags, lacrosse mom mall couture culture and farty nostalgia junkies for me. You have a point.. I also hate greedy gov. scumbags. I also hate all the red tape B.S. that goes along with a start up there among another 100 or so other things.

IMO the reason anyone moves to, or remains living on, Long Island or any one of the other incredibly expensive NYC suburbs is very easily defined: OPPORTUNITY. I don't care what any realty website COL-calculator comparison guide may say, you've got a better shot of making the most money possible in the Big Apple than you do nearly anywhere else in this country. Maybe that money won't buy you the 3,000sf starter mansion here that it will down in Virginia - but chasing Dale Earnhardt bumper stickered DUI suspects for the Midlothian PD will NEVER buy you anything close to that!
I think opportunity has past on the Island but along as you still are a believer that's what counts I learned from my own experience that there was more of an opportunity elsewhere for me. I don't chase Dui's anymore but did get involved in a few business ventures that are doing very,very well

Is this fact somehow lost on the southern transplant ex-pats or do you all realize that what bought most of you such a nice (subjective, couldn't pay me a million dollars to live south of the Mason-Dixon) lifestyle is the experience and opportunity earning a living in New York afforded you?

I love my N.Y. experiences.. I owe it all to what I have now from growing up/working there. I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything!

Be honest with yourselves. Do you really think you would have done as well by this point in your lives if you were a product of the community you now live in? If you transferred jobs (as opposed to retiring), does the salary in your field increase at the same rate it would have up here? Probably not. So even though you're making up the difference in cheaper COL, you never would have stacked up the equity that allowed you to make the move to bigger-n-better from LI in the first place as a native Tarhole!

I totally agree with this 1000%. Again I speak for myself. I would never be where I am if I wasn't a product of the community I grow up in.

Would you ever have gained the skills you gained here, in a ridiculously fast-paced and cut-throat competitive environment chillin' on the porch every night and drivin' the pickup to ye olde community business park for 20 years? Get real! New Yorkers have better work ethic and keener instincts. We all know this and employers do too.

You hit the nail on the head with this! I run circles around the laid back personalities of southerns but they spend the money and a lot of it in my places so I have to give them some credit New Yorker's do have that type A personalities, you need it to survive...down here they are B and some C's

That is the reason you move to Long Island: so you can accumulate enough wealth to one day cash it in on a "top-rated schools" relocation hotspot in "the New South" with all the other migrant sell-outs (I use this term in the most loving way, I assure you), if you so choose... or to stay here and give your kids that same option one day while enjoying all the good aspects LI still has - and hopefully continues - to offer.

Well again I agree I didn't move to L.I. I was born and raised and educated there. Kids are doing fine,schools are great and I already have their secondary education money saved and then some

No disrespect intended - people relocate! It's a smart move for some, it works out well. I'm not saying people shouldn't do it, but at the same time you should all be bending down on your knees and sucking Long Island's DONG instead of trying to pretend you pulled anything more than a little fish/big pond---->big fish/little pond maneuver while claiming LI as an "also ran".

Again I could only speak from what I know.... I met 50 or more people that moved from N.Y or the Tri-state area from here. Most are doing really well. I don't remember many people moving from here to L.I. but I can be wrong.
I personally know some amazing business men that recently moved down and gave me the greatest advice ever. I'm just going to leave at at that.

Great post by the way Sean !

Last edited by BigMike50; 01-23-2012 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I totally agree with this, but at the same time I also love Long Island to death. All the intangible good far outweighs the evil of greedy government scumbags, lacrosse mom mall couture culture and farty nostalgia junkies for me.

IMO the reason anyone moves to, or remains living on, Long Island or any one of the other incredibly expensive NYC suburbs is very easily defined: OPPORTUNITY. I don't care what any realty website COL-calculator comparison guide may say, you've got a better shot of making the most money possible in the Big Apple than you do nearly anywhere else in this country. Maybe that money won't buy you the 3,000sf starter mansion here that it will down in Virginia - but chasing Dale Earnhardt bumper stickered DUI suspects for the Midlothian PD will NEVER buy you anything close to that!

Is this fact somehow lost on the southern transplant ex-pats or do you all realize that what bought most of you such a nice (subjective, couldn't pay me a million dollars to live south of the Mason-Dixon) lifestyle is the experience and opportunity earning a living in New York afforded you?

Be honest with yourselves. Do you really think you would have done as well by this point in your lives if you were a product of the community you now live in? If you transferred jobs (as opposed to retiring), does the salary in your field increase at the same rate it would have up here? Probably not. So even though you're making up the difference in cheaper COL, you never would have stacked up the equity that allowed you to make the move to bigger-n-better from LI in the first place as a native Tarhole!

Would you ever have gained the skills you gained here, in a ridiculously fast-paced and cut-throat competitive environment chillin' on the porch every night and drivin' the pickup to ye olde community business park for 20 years? Get real! New Yorkers have better work ethic and keener instincts. We all know this and employers do too.

That is the reason you move to Long Island: so you can accumulate enough wealth to one day cash it in on a "top-rated schools" relocation hotspot in "the New South" with all the other migrant sell-outs (I use this term in the most loving way, I assure you), if you so choose... or to stay here and give your kids that same option one day while enjoying all the good aspects LI still has - and hopefully continues - to offer.

No disrespect intended - people relocate! It's a smart move for some, it works out well. I'm not saying people shouldn't do it, but at the same time you should all be bending down on your knees and sucking Long Island's DONG instead of trying to pretend you pulled anything more than a little fish/big pond---->big fish/little pond maneuver while claiming LI as an "also ran".

Gem +++

Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I think opportunity has past on the Island but along as you still are a believer that's what counts I learned from my own experience that there was more of an opportunity elsewhere for me. I don't chase Dui's anymore but did get involved in a few business ventures that are doing very,very well
Mike - VERY glad you took my post the way I intended it and not as a dig

Maybe opportunity passed for you on LI having already successfully retired from one career, but do you not agree the opportunities that enabled you to get to that point - being able to parlay those resources into a secondary successful career - are entirely a product of NY/LI and would've been extremely hard, if not impossible, to replicate most places LIers flock to down south?

I get that you do agree from the rest of your post, just driving the point home for everybody else...

If we all had time machines and could start from scratch, would anyone really choose to spend all those years saving up and climbing the ladder anywhere else but here? Is "cheap COL" really worth that risk? IMO, you would be nuts and I'd find it very hard to believe any of us would take a life do-over coming through the ranks as a southern bumpkin. Not everybody makes it in New York, but the opportunities are out there as long as you're willing to bust your ass, make the right moves and you catch a little bit of luck somewhere along the way. The money down there might buy more and bigger in the short term, but for the long haul having more OF IT will leave you in a much better place with more flexibility.

If anyone wants to take their LI dough and live high on the hog in Crawdad Junction, AL - by all means knock yourself out! I just can't wrap my head around how many go and do that, and then endlessly sh*ttalk the conduit that made the possibility available to them. Disgraceful

Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Again I could only speak from what I know.... I met 50 or more people that moved from N.Y or the Tri-state area from here. Most are doing really well. I don't remember many people moving from here to L.I. but I can be wrong.
I personally know some amazing business men that recently moved down and gave me the greatest advice ever. I'm just going to leave at at that.
Oh yeah, one more thing here...

That's ^^^ exactly what I mean. Of course they're doing well, they've got a huge leg up on the competition. If you've got the assets and the experience, I'm sure moving to a place like that can be a brilliant move financially.

Now, why I'm not so crazy about it personally...

Eventually, someday very soon, all of those relocation hotspots are going to be just as expensive and just as crowded as Long Island. I don't know and no one knows how long that'll take, but it can't stay cheap forever and the government can't stay small forever. The LI system is waaaaayyy flawed, but it certainly CAN be a lot worse. All a gamble. They might end up OK, they might turn into Detroit.

Why can't the same happen on Long Island? It definitely can, but all other things being equal, there is no place in America that will attract jobs as well as NYC and we're intrinsically linked to it. LI has some major, MAJOR issues it has to deal with... but it'll also take a whole lot of things to go massively wrong before the lifestyle here is seriously compromised. For most people, there will always be options... that same insanely high level of security truly doesn't exist anywhere else.

I'll take my chances here... "this old tree stump is a good place for sitting and resting."

Lastly, think about this hypothetical, ex-pats: if money weren't an issue at all, would you really rather be where you are now?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Agreed with how NY prepares you by grinding you everyday.... not sure if its good or bad for your health, but I agree with most of what you posted.... so its almost like a extended college ?? you get ready to go out in the real world to make it good ? They why stay in college for the rest of your life ?

Quote:
Lastly, think about this hypothetical, ex-pats: if money weren't an issue at all, would you really rather be where you are now?
^^^^ I am not sure about this dude, what does that even mean ? Unless you are talking about the mathematical concept of infinity.... anything less than that IS going to go further elsewhere, heck ya just for argument sake if family is the only thing why people are on this island, then they probably will move if money was not an issue by taking everyone with them.
You stay here because you want to, struggle or not struggle.... nothing wrong with it, some travel as tourist to comment on how other places look like, some actually move to experience it before returning ..... or not. A lot has to do with the lifestyle, you better enjoy the benefits of NYC living here (not just jobs, but other things) else you certainly are paying a premium living on LI because you can get all and then some more elsewhere.
Think about it, since LI is so great, WHO is moving here these days ? Do we have some stats on it, or are we all just staring at the mirror and admiring our rear ends ? And if only the poor is leaving according to some, then is $150k going to be the new poor on LI ?
Hint: Money is not everything, but its pretty darn close.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:09 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
I totally agree with this, but at the same time I also love Long Island to death. All the intangible good far outweighs the evil of greedy government scumbags, lacrosse mom mall couture culture and farty nostalgia junkies for me.

Should be read aloud with triumphant music playing in the background!! Excellent post.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Don't mistake manners and a smile for lack of motivation and ruthlessness. People down here were building large profitable companies when the Island was still digging potatoes.
Also don't mistake being an a-hole for being a go getter, that's a kiss of death most places outside of the Tri-State area.

Fortune 1000 Companies in Greater Richmond | Greater Richmond Partnership

Quote:
Yes, I would! I have been part of more start ups than any of my LI friends.

As far as salary, once again yes! My salary has kept pace with my friends in the same field.

Once again, I didn't need equity in a house to move down here and get started, but I've sure built up a lot since coming down. See above on how we did it.

I also don't regret living on the Island and it did help form me, but I will say moving to CA tempered my LI personality quite a bit, and I take it as a compliment when a Southerner says I'm the first Yankee that wasn't so bad.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:

Wow, stellar sean! My only slight quibble is there really is a rapid, tangible decline in that level of "OPPORTUNITY" available particularly on the Island itself. High tech has legitimately made some of the other areas a fair reflection of what long island WAS that made it such a growth and appreciation empire. We've all gone back and forth on the boards with ideas on what could fix it but we all (almost) admit something is broken.

I must admit (and I've tried to sell my wife on this) that in all my travels finding work was made easier by being "from NY" (or Boston or any NE city). The work ethic is so different. They can't drive and loathe to work in the rain and we shlep through snow and sleet. Competition is fierce. Many ex-pats (and this is a true story anecdote) that start businesses down south (Texas in this example) jump at the chance to hire NYers. They get frustrated with local hires who don't have the same attitude. But again to be fair, that is changing as more and more flee here for there.

I am generally so pessimistic but part of me sees this odd vision here of change and modernization, of a new arena, a winning team, high tech expansion, lower taxes or at least business expansion that broadens the tax base, vibrant young politicians with fresh ideas elected to office, new thriving enterprises, affordable apartment buildings built around new trains stations with sparkling new retail, downtown development, and a few other things I forget right now.....THEN I WAKE UP, Lucy pulls the football away and I say "AUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHH!"

Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Besides beach, pizza, bagels and being in the shadow of NYC why should someone move to the Island?
What opportunities are available to someone starting out?
How easy is it to start a business?
Which companies are moving into the area?
What are my options for housing and lifestyle?

Believe it or not this is a serious question that I'd really like to see answered.
So if you were going to sell someone from out of the area on why they should move to Island, what would you put before them?
More info about your self would be more help full.One thing is if you are a Veteran of any branch of the USA and served at any time peace or war, and have an Honorable discharge you are Eligible and can apply to the VA Medical System and get care at the Northport VA Medical Center on Long Island or any of its area Clinics.Simply Google their websites for more Info.I for one can give them an A1 rating.Even if you have other Medical care its a great system to have as a back up as well as for Rx's with today's price of prescriptions.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:

Great POST!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island