Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:27 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times

Advertisements

Please get back on the original topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 09:20 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
It's a crapshoot kid, //www.city-data.com/forum/22669165-post60.html

Anyway, we're steering OT. On healthcare, I will say that most people I know pay considerably less than $500/mo premiums (including families) for good plans. I'm not talking about the small percentage (relative to the South) purchasing their own plan or working for a shi%%tty employer.

FWIW, clarkstreet posted an LI-like School District in Deep Run. Union County looks good overall compared to your state. I'll give you that. But 4 out of 5 on LI are good, stable, defined local school districts. You know what you're getting here and there's value in that. And we have report cards on each SD, to answer the question earlier in the thread on that issue. https://reportcards.nysed.gov/view.p...y=28&year=2010
I work for a F300 multinational and my healthcare remained relatively the same cost in NY vs. NC. I'd have to dig to get some steadfast numbers because my ~$500 monthly premium includes many things beyond just a basic plan - dental, vision, extra disability/comp, $1MM umbrella, spouse/child life ins, etc. If you're paying "considerably less", but not getting the same benefits it skews the perception of being "cheaper". Tough to compare apples to apples here.

As an aside - shockingly... NC maintains report cards, too... they found some time between sleeping with cousins and picking grits outta their arses to compile some data... any transplant who doesn't review this type of information before making a move never gets sympathy from me. This includes the "2 to 3 year behind" crew - I mean seriously, do these people think that NC in state college education (nationally recognized by anyone as great) starts at the 9th grade level compared to the SUNY system?! rofl... anyway - I know you like your data, so have fun - NC School Report Cards

Old 01-26-2012, 11:49 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
What costs less on Long Island than other parts of the US?

Well, if you're an employer, salaries.

[URL="http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2012/01/26/where_the_good_jobs_are.html"]Jobs and wages: Where are the good jobs?[/URL]

I say this tongue-in-cheek. That's a list of top wages, and New York metro makes the first list. Just that it's behind seven other areas, tied with Seattle/Tacoma/Bellevue. Also, note what the text says about high cost of living.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:53 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
You remember when you were in college... and you had friends from all over the place? So family A paid ridiculous taxes to be in a great school district just to end up sending their kid to the same college family B paid $5k/year in taxes for. Different income levels, different lifestyles, different backgrounds. Still no guarantee of who gets the better job in the end. Why spend so much effort arguing LI vs. NC schools? If anything, argue how it's one-and-done areas out there.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
You remember when you were in college... and you had friends from all over the place? So family A paid ridiculous taxes to be in a great school district just to end up sending their kid to the same college family B paid $5k/year in taxes for. Different income levels, different lifestyles, different backgrounds. Still no guarantee of who gets the better job in the end. Why spend so much effort arguing LI vs. NC schools? If anything, argue how it's one-and-done areas out there.
I agree with this. Although I hated living in FL I think my education down there was just fine (even though FL schools are usually ranked among the lowest). Like any place there were great teachers down there and awful teachers, just like when I attended school on LI in my younger years. Success depends on so many things, school district is just one element. And as that homeless girl Samantha Garvey proved, a "good" (or "bad") district is no guarantee of success or failure, either on LI or elsewhere.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:19 PM

90 posts, read 216,754 times
lots of talk on here about how goos LI schools are and stats grad rates etc, I also found that Long Islanders make up a disproportianatley large percentage of students attending the top 25 universities in the country...no not really but they do make up a disproportionately large number of students going to Adelphi and living at home.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:02 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
To answer the original question. Generally, gasoline costs more on the west coast than here.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:12 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
To answer the original question. Generally, gasoline costs more on the west coast than here.
True. How does insurance against earthquakes work in Cali?

Old 01-29-2012, 04:05 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,990 times
Living here in Traverse City for 7 years after growing up on LI, we find food up here MUCH more expensive than LI. Chicken up here is more than double what it is on LI. Liquor is more expensive as well. Gas is about the same price suprisingly. The only things on LI that are more expensive than here are residential home taxes, real estate prices, and gas & electric.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
Resurrecting this thread as I got the rate schedule for water service in my new semi-rural Virginia home.

Suffolk County Water - $ 1.58 per 1,000 Gallons + about $6.50/month in basic service fees.

new water company in VA - 11.75 a month in fees and 1.74 per 200 Gallons!!!!!!!!

Thats more than 5X as much! Our new neighbors say they pay 90-110 a month for water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island