Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
I think this is a very small percentage of "bosses." Not only is it impractical and heartless, but it's also incredibly stupid. If a state of emergency is declared and an employer forces an employee to work, the boss is exposing both himself/herself and his/her company to a lawsuit that they are likely to lose. It is generally a violation of the social contract for one person to force another person into a position of physical danger. Forcing someone to find their way to work when mass transit is shut down and roads are impassible during severe weather certainly does that. If the employee is actually harmed or killed the company the stakes are even higher.
I agree. Most bosses are not so horrendous, plus it can be a liability issue if something happens to the employee. In my case, the office will officially be closed if the conditions are too dangerous or the public transportation is just not there. For example, for Hurricane Sandy they were closed Monday to Wednesday. People were PAID also for these days. If a person still had transportation problems and needed to be out more (like I did ... LIRR and the subway that was useful to me were both closed) and the office is open, it comes out of your own paid time off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 05:53 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
This could be said of a commute from anywhere. You could live 5 blocks from work and roads could be flooded or impassable due to snow. I think society generally accepts that there will be a handful of days when people are unable to get to work due to weather.

I think this is a very small percentage of "bosses." Not only is it impractical and heartless, but it's also incredibly stupid. If a state of emergency is declared and an employer forces an employee to work, the boss is exposing both himself/herself and his/her company to a lawsuit that they are likely to lose. It is generally a violation of the social contract for one person to force another person into a position of physical danger. Forcing someone to find their way to work when mass transit is shut down and roads are impassible during severe weather certainly does that. If the employee is actually harmed or killed the company the stakes are even higher.
There was a commercial a few years ago for Columbia Presbyterian Hospital about a man who was severely injured when walking to work in NYC during the transit strike a few years ago. Was there any liability for his employer? I doubt it.

Bosses don't care about any "social contract".

Old 02-12-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I think this is a very small percentage of "bosses." Not only is it impractical and heartless, but it's also incredibly stupid.
These kinds of bosses are far more common in New York City than in most other places.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 PM

325 posts, read 737,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
There was a commercial a few years ago for Columbia Presbyterian Hospital about a man who was severely injured when walking to work in NYC during the transit strike a few years ago. Was there any liability for his employer? I doubt it.

Bosses don't care about any "social contract".
Walking to work during a transit strike and walking to work during a federally declared state of emergency like a hurricane or major blizzard are two completely different events. "Bosses" might not care about the social contrat, but their legal departments certainly do as it will likely govern the outcome of any kind of civil suit brought against the company. You cannot force an employee to work under unsafe conditions. The "boss" is also being extremely stupid because he is also at risk of similar liability. No company wants to expose themselves to that type of liability and any good one will have a clear policy about states of emergency.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
This could be said of a commute from anywhere. You could live 5 blocks from work and roads could be flooded or impassable due to snow.
But the chances of a 5 block commute being impossible or unsafe is much smaller than the chances of that happening with a longer commute. Also, when you have a driving commute, if one road is closed, backed up, impassible, etc, you can always switch to a different route (unless the street you live on is the one with the problem). That is not possible with the train.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 PM

11 posts, read 15,185 times
when the governor calls a state of emergency only essential personnel (moi, for one) are required to report to work and directed to ignore any curfews imposed. All others can stay the f home and your boss would have no recourse. He or she could probably find another way to mess with you easy enough but you ain't getting reprimanded (legally) for missing work on such a day when there is a state of emergency.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 AM

325 posts, read 737,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
But the chances of a 5 block commute being impossible or unsafe is much smaller than the chances of that happening with a longer commute. Also, when you have a driving commute, if one road is closed, backed up, impassible, etc, you can always switch to a different route (unless the street you live on is the one with the problem). That is not possible with the train.

No, it's not possible. That's why in a city where most people commute via MTA subways and commuter rails, most employers will not demand that their employees show up for work as if nothing is wrong. In my experience, most employers will not dock pay or vacation time for snow days.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:12 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
Quote:
Walking to work during a transit strike and walking to work during a federally declared state of emergency like a hurricane or major blizzard are two completely different events. "Bosses" might not care about the social contrat, but their legal departments certainly do as it will likely govern the outcome of any kind of civil suit brought against the company. You cannot force an employee to work under unsafe conditions. The "boss" is also being extremely stupid because he is also at risk of similar liability. No company wants to expose themselves to that type of liability and any good one will have a clear policy about states of emergency.
If I understand what you're saying, I don't think you can make a liability claim against you employer for events that occur while commuting to the office. The workplace is whole different issue, where there is a definite liability issue if you're working in an unsafe environment, whether due to acts of God or otherwise.

In my experience, most employers will use common sense and unless there's something else going on, would not force an employee to commute under extreme weather conditions. Cops and firemen are exceptions, of course, though if they can get someone to cover their shift, they too shouldn't have to trek to the place of work in the middle of a dangerous storm.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
No, it's not possible. That's why in a city where most people commute via MTA subways and commuter rails, most employers will not demand that their employees show up for work as if nothing is wrong. In my experience, most employers will not dock pay or vacation time for snow days.
Most engineering firms in the city expect employees to be on time, no matter how bad the weather is and whether the trains are running are not. I know people who have been forced to get a hotel room in the city at their own expense so they can get to work in those situations. This is one of the many reasons why I'm glad I work on Long Island, rather than in the city.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
If I understand what you're saying, I don't think you can make a liability claim against you employer for events that occur while commuting to the office. The workplace is whole different issue, where there is a definite liability issue if you're working in an unsafe environment, whether due to acts of God or otherwise.

In my experience, most employers will use common sense and unless there's something else going on, would not force an employee to commute under extreme weather conditions. Cops and firemen are exceptions, of course, though if they can get someone to cover their shift, they too shouldn't have to trek to the place of work in the middle of a dangerous storm.
I see you are not an attorney.

Htonian knows what he is talking about.

For instance, why do you think many employers in NYC provide car service or pay for taxis after a certain hour at night instead of letting their employees take public transportation? Out of the goodness of their hearts? NO! To avoid liability if something happens on the commute home to the employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island