Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:58 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I can't believe this thread has turned into a french fry symposium but dammit I'm chiming in since my
1st bunch of jobs in my pre-rock star days involved fryolators (I still make the best wings, onion rings, fried clams and fries you ever had).

1. yes you can soak them after peeling and they fry just fine. put them through the slicer, drop them on a paper towel before ftying 'em.
2. I do not know of a single fast food joint that uses hand cut fries. they actually come out soggy if you don't know how to "double drop" them which makes them a big hassle in a busy environment.
3. with flash freezing tech of the last few years, many bag fries are actually flash frozen fresh potatoes or pre-cooked fresh potatoes and it would be hard to know they weren't fresh if fried correctly.
4. some bag fries are friggin good like Nathan's and McDonalds. others taste terribly processed and seasoned (cajun. curly, etc).

btw: I didn't even know we were talking about AA until I finished writing this. I don't believe for a minute that those things are hand cut.
Excuse me, but this discussion is only for those with PhDs in Dry Tuber Heat Exchange.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:03 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I'd imagine with the volume AAB does, there is not much sitting around for these potatoes. Perhaps the bags are more convenient than taking them to the fryer by the handful? Nothing sticks. Bags keep in the moisture too and I will assume slow any browning. When I go to AA, the fry assembly line is constantly making them.
This could explain why sometimes people see them cutting up potatoes on site. When it's busy it's probably easier for them to pre-cut a bunch of fries knowing they'll be used up within hours, whereas on slower days they just cut em as they need em

Old 01-27-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
This could explain why sometimes people see them cutting up potatoes on site. When it's busy it's probably easier for them to pre-cut a bunch of fries knowing they'll be used up within hours, whereas on slower days they just cut em as they need em
It could all just be a charade.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Excuse me, but this discussion is only for those with PhDs in Dry Tuber Heat Exchange.
Got my doctorate from the school of splatter burns.

Who the heck cuts potatoes?! They get sliced with a doohickey (that's an industry term only us PhDs know)

Old 01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
It could all just be a charade.

?

Old 01-27-2012, 10:21 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Yeah, I believe that to be the case. I think everyone's seen them putting them through the cutter at one point or another. I pulled up the travel channel's video on AAB, but it didn't show it. The only charade here is Taz Crazy's "they ship them in frozen".
All American Hamburger Travel Channel Hamburger Paradise - YouTube

Old 01-27-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Got my doctorate from the school of splatter burns.

Who the heck cuts potatoes?! They get sliced with a doohickey (that's an industry term only us PhDs know)
I cut mine at home

but I do have a home doohickey for julienned potatoes

Old 01-27-2012, 10:40 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
I'd imagine with the volume AAB does, there is not much sitting around for these potatoes..
Probably true.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:15 AM

513 posts, read 837,200 times
Within the last year at All American, I saw a worker doing something with real potatoes by the fry machine.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:22 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,300 times
Quote:
Oh, okay, you know the neighbor

Cmon Kenny, find out for yourself instead of making it up. They're skinned, then put through the cutter.
yup, i know the neighbors. I know the mechanic on the corner who's been there just as long as all american and I know Lou from GIGIs. what else do you want to know?

oh, btw, I just bought me some all american and guess what the fry guy was doing just as i got there? yup, you guessed it: pouring fries from a bag into the basket.

ignorant people.

if they have a cutter, where do they have the room to cut it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island