Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:04 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
They used to circle my pool in the late after noon to eat Miskitos.(spell?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:28 AM

592 posts, read 919,261 times
Get a rabies shot- especially if they are found in a bedroom where people sleep.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:25 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
Get a rabies shot- especially if they are found in a bedroom where people sleep.

Yes I read this too. That their bite marks are so small you may never know you were bitten and they are a common carrier of rabies. Even not getting bit, but a close encounter with their saliva can transmit rabies if they carry it.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 PM

214 posts, read 459,117 times
Watched the show "infested", one episode was about a bat colony living under the floorboards in an attic, it was crazy how many were in here!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:06 PM

93 posts, read 242,716 times
I can't believe it but I actually saw four bats today. The first one hit my windshield. I was getting on the expressway in Riverhead (Tanger Outlets). Had I been going a little bit faster and had my window down further, it would have hit me in the head. Now I don't want to open my car window after dusk.

Then on the LIE around exit 67, two swooped in front of my car.

The last was in East Northport! On the road with the train station entrance!!

I can't believe it. I swear I have never seen any before. The warm weather and my knew found knowledge that bats are here may have helped me identify their swooping motion but that one against the windshield (right in the driver side corner)...agh!!!

Last edited by franaissance; 01-27-2012 at 11:17 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 11:11 PM

My sister called the town's wildlife number and the guy was so rude and actually hung up on her. First he insisted on knowing whose house had bats, etc...and would not answer any questions.

Then she called the bat removal people. They don't do anything til March. Agh! They use a one-way door so bats can exit but not get back in.

So it seems they have to live with them for a couple of months. I can't stand the thought of them sleeping there. Trying to get her to sleep at another sister's house or mom/dad in the meantime. It's not worth rabies shots if they wake up to a bat in the room and don't know if they were bit.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franaissance View Post
I can't believe it but I actually saw four bats today. The first one hit my windshield. I was getting on the expressway in Riverhead (Tanger Outlets). Had I been going a little bit faster and had my window down further, it would have hit me in the head. Now I don't want to open my car window after dusk.

Then on the LIE around exit 67, two swooped in front of my car.

The last was in East Northport! On the road with the train station entrance!!

I can't believe it. I swear I have never seen any before. The warm weather and my knew found knowledge that bats are here may have helped me identify their swooping motion but that one against the windshield (right in the driver side corner)...agh!!!
come on, really? I don't see any bats, ever, anywhere on LI and you saw 4 in one night ...including some flying right into your car?

Old 01-28-2012, 12:10 AM

Honest, I did. Now I don't recall ever seeing them before but now recognize that swooping motion as bats. If I'd seen that before, I didn't think anything of it.

and the one that hit my windshield, I saw its brown haired body right on the windshield.

I am not opening my window more than a crack after dusk when it is warm out.

I bet you will start to notice the swooping flyers now too.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:32 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Ask your landlord to put up bat houses.

FWIW, there is a story in the January 30 Newsweek or Time (I read both today and can't remember which) about how the decline in bats because of white-nose syndrome can have huge repercussions on not only the ecosystem, but on everything from crops to people, both of which will have to deal with increased insect populations.

More info:

[url=http://ecocentric.blogs.time.com/2011/03/31/the-economic-cost-of-losing-bats/]Bats, Under Threat From Disease and Wind Turbines, Are Valuable to Human Beings | Ecocentric | TIME.com[/url]

[url=http://www.chron.com/life/article/Bats-are-beneficial-to-humans-2752902.php]Bats are beneficial to humans - Houston Chronicle[/url]

Old 01-28-2012, 05:52 AM

13 posts, read 21,952 times
I must be one of the lucky ones... Ive lived in East Northport for 30+ years and never had an encounter with a Bat..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island