Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:01 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&H View Post
Nassdump huh? I know there's an area used to be a dump site in Old Bethpage, just where exactly is it?? the tax after star would be $12,800, seems about the same comparing to other areas of Nassau. How do you verify on CO? I went to Nassau Propery search but didn't see anything stands out. Will the attorney verify the house has all proper CO?

Thanks for all inputs.
Specifically request it during the title search and from the attorney. Attorney and inspection reports are notorious for having teeny weeny fine print that says "not responsible for permit/building code issues."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:05 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommyq View Post
Where do u live , calling Nassau a dump?
Old Bethpage, atop the dump.

Originally from the hard streets of Massapequa Park.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:19 PM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
My advice is to make sure first that you don't have a problem paying 14K in taxes every year. That's a whole other mortgage payment.
I highly agree with this statement. Old Bethpage is very nice but those taxes are crazy! Keep in mind, taxes go up each year...a mortgage does not.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Does the house need a CO for anything ?
If yes, then it might increase the taxes even more. No offense, but do not trust everything on the listing and the parties involved, find out as much as possible yourself, whats the worst that can happen ? You might realize that the sellers are actually honest.... win-win situation.
I agree with the CO statement. When we looked at our house, I was told there was a CO for everything..I called the town myself and inquired about everything and there were CO's missing. We then had an escrow agreement drawn up and made the seller's liable to get the co's. I usually don't recommend an agreement like this though. It's much easier if the CO's are already in place. It took the seller's a year and a half after we purchased the home to get the variances taht were needed.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Love OB !! yes taxes are high but you get what you pay for. Make sure the house is in plainview-old bethpage school district. Some houses are in the bethpage district. Ask about any CO's. I asked and was told everything was done , it was not. good luck!

Lots of shopping between farmingdale and plainview
Bethpage is a VERY good school district. Either way, old bethpage or Bethpage schools are both very good districts. I'm going to say though byt eh amount of taxes you stated, this is Plainview school district. Bethpage has lower taxes and you get just as good of an education..if not the same.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&H View Post
Nassdump huh? I know there's an area used to be a dump site in Old Bethpage, just where exactly is it?? the tax after star would be $12,800, seems about the same comparing to other areas of Nassau. How do you verify on CO? I went to Nassau Propery search but didn't see anything stands out. Will the attorney verify the house has all proper CO?

Thanks for all inputs.

Call the Town of Oyster Bay Assessment office or the buildings deparment..I think one of them can help you out with co's, etc. Does the house have an extension, etc. or anything that requires CO's? I posted another post prior to this one telling you about my personal experience with Co's and not having them and what happend.

I believe the old dump is by Winding Road...there are stables across the way from the old dump site. I don't think you need to worry about anything with this though. I'm originally from Bethpage and never heard anything bad or causing probs with this dumping ground.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:29 PM

465 posts, read 1,709,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The only way your attorney will find out about an outstanding CO is when they do the title search, if there are open permits they will come out then. But if the people never got a permit it won't show up. Get a copy of the survey from the town. Match it up to what you see. Decks, pools, even sheds need a permit. Maybe they added a little roof over the front stoop. Needs a CO, maybe even a variance. BE AWARE. Once you close these become YOUR problems to solve. Do not rely on anyone else's say-so, including your attorney.
Agree 100%. Go to town hall building dept, ask for a site history on the property. Go to the assessors office, ask for a copy of the property card. Make sure everything that exists on the property today is accounted for on town records. Otherwise it becomes your responsibility down the road. You will need a survey to close, examine it closely that all setback requirements for structures, sheds, fences, driveways, etc are adequate

Old 01-27-2012, 12:32 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Where do u live , calling Nassau a dump?
s13 is from Bay Shore. They came 2nd to Hempstead in the prestigious "murder capital of LI" award.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
My lack of co was discovered through the title search. We closed , We handled it, but the old owner left a large cash amount in escrow for us to use to get the permits. We also got cash from them for the trouble. It's not a huge deal, as long as they agree to pay or everything.
It was for an extension done on the home.
You need an Escrow Agreement drawn up by an attorney to have the money escrowed for the costs that incur to get the CO. It's not such an easy thing. I dealt with it myself too and it took a year and a half to get 2 variances. They had to hire an expeditor in the end to get the ball rolling. However, sometimes they don't escrow enough and if that happens, and the sellers don't pay, it can go to litigation so it's not as easy as you say. You were lucky b/c your situation sounds like it was taken care of properly..sometimes it doesn't work out this way.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:41 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
s13 is from Bay Shore. They came 2nd to Hempstead in the prestigious "murder capital of LI" award.
Bay Shore rules. One of the few communities where you can buy crack, get a hooker, AND top it all of with some delicious ribs courtesy of Smokin' Al's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island