U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:18 AM

20 posts, read 118,880 times

Advertisements

Between Lindenhurst, West Babylon and Levittown...which area has the best schools and lowest level of crime?

Also, I've read that some people say if buying a house in West Babylon you should try to stay south of Sunrise Highway away from the numbered streets. Their reasoning was that once you're north of Sunrise you are getting close to the Wyandanch border. Is this true?? I found a few houses online near the SS parkway but now I'm unsure if I should see them.

If so, does the same apply for Lindenhurst...should you stay south of Sunrise??

Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 06:34 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,567,967 times
lindenhurst is your best choice. its becoming the another massapequa.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:06 AM

5,887 posts, read 11,763,296 times
If I worked in the city I would go with Levittown.

If not I would probably pick West Babylon.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:02 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,015,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie424 View Post
Between Lindenhurst, West Babylon and Levittown...which area has the best schools and lowest level of crime?

Also, I've read that some people say if buying a house in West Babylon you should try to stay south of Sunrise Highway away from the numbered streets. Their reasoning was that once you're north of Sunrise you are getting close to the Wyandanch border. Is this true?? I found a few houses online near the SS parkway but now I'm unsure if I should see them.

Thank you in advance!
Lindenhurst and Levittown have the best schools out of the three. West Babylon Schools are still okay. A large chunk of West Babylon get N.Babylon schools which are also okay (i'm an NB graduate). Basically, as long your not in Wyandanch, Copiague or Amityville schools then you have nothing to worry about (as far as the Town of Babylon is concerned).

As for West Babylon-Wyandanch, the Wyandanch border doesn't start all the way until after you cross the Little East Neck Rd and Straight Path intersection. A sizeable part of West Babylon does in fact go north of the Southern State Parkway but this section is not a bad neighborhood at all, it is mostly (and has always been) middle class black people and is a low crime area, you have nothing to worry about being in or near that section.

The best-maintained parts of West Babylon are near the water and the Midwood Rd area. The part in between Sunrise and SSP seems to have the largest properties in WB (besides north of SSP). You really have nothing to worry about in any of West Babylon, it's a very safe, solid working class/middle class community.

Hopefully this map of West Babylon will make things more easier;
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/West-babylon-ny-map.gif (broken link)

As for Lindenhurst, Wyandanch shouldn't even be on your mind, they're not even remotely close to each other. Also, Lindenhurst is like the typical South Shore LI town, it gets much nicer gradually as you get closer to the water. As for Levittown, i'm not too familiar with the area but many people aren't fans of the housing stock in the area.

If you want stats such as median household income, racial makeup, educational attainment about each of the neighborhoods that make up the towns your interested in, go here (it's an AMAZING resource);
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

I lived in West Babylon most of my life.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 01-28-2012 at 10:42 AM..

Old 01-28-2012, 02:44 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,313,719 times
Quote:

Thank you in advance!
I've learned if you need special needs, go with Levittown. Also, most of those homes don't have basements, very small kitchens, etc. You have more of a mix in Lindy and WB. All of these are among the last true entry level middle class areas left. Lindy has a decent small downtown along Wellwood. Also, on good train to NYC, on Babylon line. I think most agree to stay south of sunrise, but if you go south of Montauk, you may add $2K for flood insurance.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:47 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,313,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
If I worked in the city I would go with Levittown.

If not I would probably pick West Babylon.

Just my 2 cents.
Why, Levittown doesn't have a train, and LIndy and WB have or nearby. You must mean driving in right?r

Old 01-28-2012, 11:06 PM

90 posts, read 197,069 times
I looked in all of these areas and picked lindenhurst. Levittown seemed way past its prime and overpriced. west babylon and lindenhurst basically a toss up, but Lindenhurst seemed to be a better value. regardless of where, shelling out 300k for a 60 yr old ranch/cape and then paying 10k a yr in taxes is a little annoying

Old 01-28-2012, 11:22 PM

20 posts, read 118,880 times
Thank you everyone for your responses! I truly appreciate your feedback. My husband and I are leaning towards Lindenhurst.

In Lindenhurst, should we stay south of Sunrise or is it okay if the house is 2 blocks north of Sunrise?

Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:47 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,015,075 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your responses! I truly appreciate your feedback. My husband and I are leaning towards Lindenhurst.

In Lindenhurst, should we stay south of Sunrise or is it okay if the house is 2 blocks north of Sunrise?

Thanks again!
There are no truly problematic areas in Lindenhurst: you don't have to stay south or north of anything. A lot of people have negative opinions of the area behind the Burger King at the Rt.109/Straight Path intersection and the train tracks but i've never heard any problems of the area personally. I have heard that this particular area has an above average amount of very very very working class types.

You have nothing to worry about in either town. Another piece of advice that I would like to give is to drive around any area you may be interested in A LOT and see if you like it and come to your own conclusion. Don't let anybody stear you away from what may be your dream home. You like what you like, you know

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 01-29-2012 at 06:03 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 AM

9,341 posts, read 27,615,078 times
Default A map of the Village of Lindenhurst in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County

Quote:
My husband and I are leaning towards Lindenhurst.
A map of the Village of Lindenhurst in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County:

The Village of Lindenhurst has a different border than does the "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address and not be in the Village of Lindenhurst and a place can have other than a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address and be in the Village of Lindenhurst): places that have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lindenhurst are in the Hamlet of Copiague, the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst and the Hamlet of West Babylon; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Lindenhurst with a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island