Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
A&H A&H started this thread

108 posts, read 456,552 times

Advertisements

Hi, would like to get some idea on how much these repair/replacement cost.

The roof on the house we are looking at is already the second layer. I don’t think it’s a good idea to add a third layer. How much would it cost to replace the roof for a building size of 1000 sqft.

Also how much it cost to convert oil heat to gas?

Lastly, how much it cost (range) to replace the CAC condenser unit?

Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 PM

465 posts, read 1,709,971 times
replace the whole condenser unit or just the compressor? what is the tonnage? I paid $1000 to have a 2 ton compressor replaced under part warranty, paid for freight, labor, refrigerant. Whole condenser would probably be around 4k.

Roof would probably be around 8-10k, but I haven't had one done, only a guess.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:17 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
My roof was on the third layer when we replaced it and I paid $8,500. I don't have CAC so I can't help there. I switched from oil to gas and it cost me $3,300. I already had gas coming in for stove and hot water anyway. I basically paid for a new gas boiler and parts. If you go with a recommened plumber from National grid they quoted me $8,000. If you know someone like I did who can do it as a side job you will save money. They removed my old unit, tapped into the exisiting gas line, installed the new boiler, added some new copper piping ect... took them about 5 hours. Best thing I ever did.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:20 PM

155 posts, read 426,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&H View Post

The roof on the house we are looking at is already the second layer. I don’t think it’s a good idea to add a third layer. How much would it cost to replace the roof for a building size of 1000 sqft.

Thank you all.

There are a lot of variables there, but there is no way all of those things will cost you less than 10K unless you do them yourself. However, don't try number 2 by yourself.

I would guesstimate the max being 20K, unless you get some over-the-top heating products.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:53 PM

863 posts, read 2,107,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My roof was on the third layer when we replaced it and I paid $8,500. I don't have CAC so I can't help there. I switched from oil to gas and it cost me $3,300. I already had gas coming in for stove and hot water anyway. I basically paid for a new gas boiler and parts. If you go with a recommened plumber from National grid they quoted me $8,000. If you know someone like I did who can do it as a side job you will save money. They removed my old unit, tapped into the exisiting gas line, installed the new boiler, added some new copper piping ect... took them about 5 hours. Best thing I ever did.
I did the conversion but left the stoves and dryer until i have more money but man the lipa bill is killing me for two kitchens and a dryer that's always running with 3 kids under 7. I am looking to have someone come in and make the change in April. I have to start looking for quotes

Old 01-30-2012, 02:02 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&H View Post

Thank you all.
Do you know if you have gas in the street? National Grid will pay for the first 100 ft; thereafter they estimate the cost at $75-$80/ft.

Also remember that if/when you do convert and you have an underground tank, it'll have to be properly abandoned (another cost )

Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM

863 posts, read 2,107,812 times
Default cost estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by a&h View Post
hi, would like to get some idea on how much these repair/replacement cost.

the roof on the house we are looking at is already the second layer. I don’t think it’s a good idea to add a third layer. How much would it cost to replace the roof for a building size of 1000 sqft.
if the roof is no in dire need of repair and there are no evident signs of leakage leave it be for a little. You're buying and will be spending another maybe 20 to 25k after doing this and anything else that comes up.

also how much it cost to convert oil heat to gas?
it depends based on if you have gas already coming into the home and how many zones your heating system consist of now and why type of boiler you're looking to get. A condensing boiler would be a little more upfront but saves on the back end. If there is no gas close to your home and you have to use a national grid certified person to convert then be prepared to pay more
lastly, how much it cost (range) to replace the cac condenser unit?
depending on the age of the system this may cost you the most because you're not allowed to just replace one part if i am correct. I have a good working outside unit but the handler in the attic does not work and the new rules for energy efficiency mandate i replace both, there are some rebates out there but they still wanted about 9g.

thank you all.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:17 PM
A&H A&H started this thread

108 posts, read 456,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Wow, that does sound like the great deal. the house we are consider already have gas line in for the stove. maybe I can ask your connection for the side job when we actually buy the house.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:57 PM

592 posts, read 919,601 times
No idea on the roof. It was $4700 after rebate for me to convert oil to gas all in (bring line in from street, new boiler, new chimney liner, removal of old boiler and tank). As far as the compressor goes, if it uses Freon, you might have to change the air handler out as well since I believe they don't sell freon units anymore -at least a $7k job.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:29 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
I did the conversion but left the stoves and dryer until i have more money but man the lipa bill is killing me for two kitchens and a dryer that's always running with 3 kids under 7. I am looking to have someone come in and make the change in April. I have to start looking for quotes
My dryer has always been electric since I moved in the house and I am keeping it that way. it's only 2 of us so it's ok. My stove has always been hooked to gas. I did the conversion mainly for the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: