Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,470 times

Advertisements

I just got offered a job at Stonybrook University, and will be moving to the Island from Washington DC this summer. I know that there are plenty of posts here that talk about neighborhoods to look for, and prices, but I'm wondering for folks that may have lived in both places, how does the housing compare?

I've lived primarily between Washington DC, and PG County, Maryland (with a brief, and unfortunate encounter in Baltimore, MD), and have always lived in either a Townhome or Single Family Home. My rents have ranged from $1200 - $1600 a month, with the lowest getting me a 2bd/2ba town home with a basement in a ghetto-fied neighborhood, that was safe, but crowded and annoying... and the highest getting me a 3bd/3.5ba townhome that was brand new with a garage in SW DC (the part that no one goes to).

I'm a 29 y/o single guy, with no kids, and no pets, and should have a budget of between $1400 - 1800 to spend on housing. I want to rent a house, and would love a town home, but from what I've seen, townhomes aren't really popular in Long Island, as searches for properties keep bringing me to apartments in other people's houses, or tiny houses that look like they haven't seen an update since 1980.

Could it be possible to find a comparable property to what I've had in DC that's relatively new or renovated, with 2 bedrooms, in a quiet neighborhood that doesn't cost more than $1800 a month in Long Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:50 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspikes View Post
I just got offered a job at Stonybrook University, and will be moving to the Island from Washington DC this summer. I know that there are plenty of posts here that talk about neighborhoods to look for, and prices, but I'm wondering for folks that may have lived in both places, how does the housing compare?

I've lived primarily between Washington DC, and PG County, Maryland (with a brief, and unfortunate encounter in Baltimore, MD), and have always lived in either a Townhome or Single Family Home. My rents have ranged from $1200 - $1600 a month, with the lowest getting me a 2bd/2ba town home with a basement in a ghetto-fied neighborhood, that was safe, but crowded and annoying... and the highest getting me a 3bd/3.5ba townhome that was brand new with a garage in SW DC (the part that no one goes to).

I'm a 29 y/o single guy, with no kids, and no pets, and should have a budget of between $1400 - 1800 to spend on housing. I want to rent a house, and would love a town home, but from what I've seen, townhomes aren't really popular in Long Island, as searches for properties keep bringing me to apartments in other people's houses, or tiny houses that look like they haven't seen an update since 1980.

Could it be possible to find a comparable property to what I've had in DC that's relatively new or renovated, with 2 bedrooms, in a quiet neighborhood that doesn't cost more than $1800 a month in Long Island?
Older stock is what you'll see on LI, and as you said not a lot of TH. Decent housing rentals are closer to $2ooo/ mo.+ unheated. Pay a realtor to find a legal decent place. There are probably a lot of illegal apts. within 20 mins. driving or right near SBU. Most are crap, and for anything nice or updated it will cost ya here on LI. GL JM2C

Old 02-02-2012, 12:13 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:

I lived in NoVA (mostly Arlington, Court House) for 23 years and moved back here in 2007. The short answer is "no." For $1,400-$1,800 you will get a 1BR apartment in a decent apartment complex that might actually have central air and a w/d in the unit, possibly a pool on the grounds. You might find a 2BR apartment, but I wouldn't expect a lot of amenities for that.

You'll find less expensive apartments, but you'll have to deal with laundry rooms and wall-unit A/C.

And no matter what, you will miss your garbage disposal, if you have one.

Avoid Fairfield Properties as much as possible. They are poorly maintained and the company is a bunch of smarmy rip-off artists.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:47 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
No, you will not find anything comparable on Long Island (BTW it is ON LI, not IN LI). At 2K, a full house rental will not be all that nice and here, 1980s is considered new. In western suffolk, most housing stock will be from the 70s and 60s, plus the really historic stuff. In Nassau, the housing stock is even older. You have to pay a premium if want to live in any type of updated housing. But as a young single, you really don't need all of that space. When figuring out your budget, remember that just about everything, not just housing, will be more expensive here.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
If it were me, I will first check into a place where I am not tied into a lease for a year, that means most apartments are off the list.... move into a home or apartment in a home with a "one month notice before leaving" kinda thing initially and feel it out here for a few months. If you like your job, the area in general etc, you can make a mature decision a few months down the line.
Lots of houses around SBU rent to students, who knows maybe your colleagues will help you out.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:05 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,581 times
Quote:

The short answer is NO.

Here is a thread about the rental market on LI:
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ng-island.html

I think your best 2 options with that budget as a single young guy would be to: 1) rent a 1BR in one of the very few apartment complexes close to the university (Port Jeff, Lake Grove, Smithtown) or 2) to find a friend/friends to rent a house together.

Here is a website at Stony Brook University for off-campus (rental) housing:
OCH: Housing

Nice areas to look for renting a house, or a room in a house would be in Stony Brook / Setauket within walking/biking distance - north of the university/25A and close to the beach, or around Stony Brook Road.
You may like Port Jefferson as a young person - short driving distance.
also explore St. James and Port Jeff Station for renting...
Cheaper rental houses can be found also further east along the north shore - Miller Place, Sound Beach, Rocky Point, but consider 25-30min commute in that case.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island