Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM

5 posts, read 20,333 times

Advertisements

I'm removing my old driveway and putting in a brand new one. I'd like to have it heated, as I'm not getting any younger and it's taking me alot longer to recover after snow removal. I've been researching the differences between electric radiant vs. hydronic systems. Can anyone share anything they may know about this subject? I'm also open to any contractor/installer recommendations. Thanks !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 05:34 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniTP View Post
I'm removing my old driveway and putting in a brand new one. I'd like to have it heated, as I'm not getting any younger and it's taking me alot longer to recover after snow removal. I've been researching the differences between electric radiant vs. hydronic systems. Can anyone share anything they may know about this subject? I'm also open to any contractor/installer recommendations. Thanks !!
Radiant would be very costly, in my opinion. It's inefficient and LIPA's not cheap. If you must heat the driveway, I'd think hydronic would be the way to go (although you must have to have the lines bled every year, I'd think.).

Old 02-02-2012, 06:40 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Ahhhh this is my dream project.

If you have a hot water heating system it wouldnt be that costly to do. You would have to add a mixing valve to get the water cooled down, heat exchanger, a pump for that zone a relay and temp. sensor.

What kind of questions do you have?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:00 PM

577 posts, read 979,450 times
I was putting in new pavers for my driveway (20' x 45) and also put in radiant heating. It's essentially a swimming pool boiler (gas) on the outside of the house and 6 zones/loops ( one of which is for future use) of pex
piping filled with propylene glycol. The system is activated by an automatic controller based the readings of sensors ( air temp, slab temp & moisture). There's a manual override on the controller.

First test a few weeks ago with the snow storm & subsequent icing. It had my driveway bone dry.

A few pointers:

* You'll need to install insulation boards under the pex piping, which unfortunately also reduces the natural heat coming up from the ground.

* The controller's not cheap because there's only a few companies that make them. I have a teckmar controller.

* Get a plumber & electrician that has installed snow melt systems in the past.

* Have plumber install an future use loop/zone in case you decide to do your walkway/etc in the future.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
^^ I take it you don't have a hot water heating system? Thats why you added another heater crv1010?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
I was putting in new pavers for my driveway (20' x 45) and also put in radiant heating. It's essentially a swimming pool boiler (gas) on the outside of the house and 6 zones/loops ( one of which is for future use) of pex
piping filled with propylene glycol. The system is activated by an automatic controller based the readings of sensors ( air temp, slab temp & moisture). There's a manual override on the controller.

First test a few weeks ago with the snow storm & subsequent icing. It had my driveway bone dry.

A few pointers:

* You'll need to install insulation boards under the pex piping, which unfortunately also reduces the natural heat coming up from the ground.

* The controller's not cheap because there's only a few companies that make them. I have a teckmar controller.

* Get a plumber & electrician that has installed snow melt systems in the past.

* Have plumber install an future use loop/zone in case you decide to do your walkway/etc in the future.
I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread except that this sounds FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:12 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniTP View Post
I'm not getting any younger and it's taking me alot longer to recover after snow removal.
Pay a couple of kids to shovel it - it'll be kinder to your body and cheaper than a heated driveway.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:42 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
Pay a couple of kids to shovel it - it'll be kinder to your body and cheaper than a heated driveway.

hola hermano, no podría haberlo dicho mejor. gracias

Old 02-03-2012, 07:48 AM
A&H

108 posts, read 456,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
I'd probably agree to this. say $10 an hour, 2 person to clean it in 2 hours, 5 snow storm a year, that's $4,000 for the next 20 years.

how much it cost to do the heated drive way? how much it cost to maintain it?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:27 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&H View Post
I'd probably agree to this. say $10 an hour, 2 person to clean it in 2 hours, 5 snow storm a year, that's $4,000 for the next 20 years.

how much it cost to do the heated drive way? how much it cost to maintain it?
Good luck finding kids to do it. They are drinking cocoa and playing call of duty inside while grandma pays a couple of nice El Salvadoreans to do a better job for less. Welcome to 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island