Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 PM

17 posts, read 45,405 times

Advertisements

My husband got a ticket for not having a valid sticker to drive on a hov lane on our hybrid car. We pleaded guilty and paid the fine amount of 195$+surcharge. Now after 1&1/2 months, we received another letter from the Nassau country traffic for the same violation and with two different summons?? So now basically we are fined twice with an amount of 500$(including the surcharge) for the same violation that we have already paid?? We are confused as to why this could happen and wondering what could be the best way to deal with it? Any suggestions on the same? Also I have heard from the same forum that it is not a good idea to go to the nassau county court? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 07:00 AM

376 posts, read 1,010,254 times
where do you get a sticker for a hybrid car for the HOV lanes ??? never heard of this on LI ??

Old 02-04-2012, 07:03 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,788,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsjusb View Post
My husband got a ticket for not having a valid sticker to drive on a hov lane on our hybrid car. We pleaded guilty and paid the fine amount of 195$+surcharge. Now after 1&1/2 months, we received another letter from the Nassau country traffic for the same violation and with two different summons?? So now basically we are fined twice with an amount of 500$(including the surcharge) for the same violation that we have already paid?? We are confused as to why this could happen and wondering what could be the best way to deal with it? Any suggestions on the same? Also I have heard from the same forum that it is not a good idea to go to the nassau county court? Please help!
DMV always screws things up. I can vouch for that.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 AM

330 posts, read 720,656 times
Quote:
We are confused as to why this could happen and wondering what could be the best way to deal with it?
Well that's an easy one. The people who get into government are generally morons.

You'll have to go to the court, or hire a lawyer to go, to clear it up. Make sure you bring proof of everything, in triplicate. When you hand something in to them make sure they time stamp your copy so you have proof that you handed it in. You can find the court hours in the website, Nassau County Traffic & Parking Violations Agency, and whichever time slot you choose, get there at least an hour early or be prepared to stand in line for a loooooonnnngggg time.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:03 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,003,931 times
Are the issuing agencies and the dates of occurrence all the same?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 AM

159 posts, read 404,439 times
Quote:
I have to ask what made the sticker not valid or did you not have a sticker at all?
The clean pass sticker does not expire and is registered to the vehicle not the owner.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 AM

17 posts, read 45,405 times
ar1458
You can call the DMV to get the sticker. We were also unaware of it until we got the ticket.

daveoliva
Thank you very much for your suggestions. Will try to make sure with all the things. But is it necessary to hire a lawyer for this? Do they make it miserable for us if we go in by ourselves? This is the first time we are going to a court we are concerned.

nassau2suffolk
Yes. The issuing agencies, the date of occurrence, the time of occurrence and the violations are all the same printed in different summons.

yoelmo
You are right. I was not sure about the validity my husband confirms that he did not have a sticker before and ordered it from the DMV after receiving this ticket.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 AM

99 posts, read 256,605 times
NYS DMV - Clean Pass

https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/clean-pass

Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 AM

20 posts, read 91,128 times
Quote:
ar1458
You can call the DMV to get the sticker. We were also unaware of it until we got the ticket.

daveoliva
Thank you very much for your suggestions. Will try to make sure with all the things. But is it necessary to hire a lawyer for this? Do they make it miserable for us if we go in by ourselves? This is the first time we are going to a court we are concerned.

nassau2suffolk
Yes. The issuing agencies, the date of occurrence, the time of occurrence and the violations are all the same printed in different summons.

yoelmo
You are right. I was not sure about the validity my husband confirms that he did not have a sticker before and ordered it from the DMV after receiving this ticket.

I suggest you go to the court where the summons is answerable. it should be in hempstead. there is an information booth there. you will need to bring all your documents and i agree you should make copies. there is no need for an attorney and I would be very suprised if you did not leave satisfied.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 AM

13,021 posts, read 17,830,114 times
Take all correspondence including the front and back of your check, or if credit card, your statement, or if online your confirmation and take it to where it was payable to, i.e. traffic court in the Town of Issue. Make triplicate copies and I might call the DMV to get the facts straight on the sticker also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island