Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:12 PM

7 posts, read 8,318 times

Advertisements

What is it going to cost total for me to move (live on) Long Island? I have read various things and intend to rent, for the first year, in suffolk county. I have 5 kids one is in college in WV (yes we are our own state, Ask Clemson). I have rent budget at 28-3500.00. I have a career position being offered and the amount is being negotiated now so I need information to back up my counter offer. I pay 750 for a house with fenced yard in safe area crime not an issue. Commute not an issue I spent last 5 years working on the road and was lucky to sleep in my own bed 3 days a month so every night in my own bed is a huge plus. Good schools are vital. My research has found a min. of 28% cost of living increase so my salary prior * 1.28 nets me a number that the rest of this forum has stated is working poor. 96,000. Median incomes vary so much in my research that it gets very confusing as to what is real. I do not keep up with the joneses. One of the requirements of the Job is to live on Long Island. Taxes, School Fees. I spent last two years in and out of North Jersey so am familiar with food costs all that the city has to offer I just have very little knowledge of Long Island in person. Thanks to any who read this far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 08:03 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
Assuming you're married, does your wife work? Because if she doesn't, $96K with 5 kids will be quite a squeeze here on pricey LI.

Is that $96K gross salary or net pay?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:53 PM

7 posts, read 8,318 times
96 is the Cost of Living adjustment to my current salary of 75. I can live in WV very well on 75. Own 3 cars Harley. I rent a commercial garage bay for 600 in town. That is my problem I am trying to find the number that prevents me from going backwards when I move to LI. The company is offering more than 96 but I need to know how much keeps me in the same socio-economic arena I am in now. Loaded question for sure but I pay 1200 a year in real estate tax here. Will be paying that a month upon moving and buying something in LI. Will 150k be enough. I like Miller Place from what I have read but havent done the tour of the island yet to find out for sure where I will buy. Definite rent for first year though. Thanks

Old 02-05-2012, 09:24 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,111 times
Parking tickets.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:10 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,056 times
3 cars and a harley on 75k? I'd so move to WV if I felt it was a happening state.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:36 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Sounds like except for the road warrior work you've got a nice little quality of life down there. LI will bring culture and sticker shock. It can be done but while your salary will go up 28+% sounds like taxes and expenses will go up way more than that especially when it's time to buy ($1200/yr to $12,000/yr). Up here, under $100k will require a 2nd paycheck to maintain a standard that includes a few toys (cars, Harleys) and any breathing room. It's nice around here (especially in the summer) but unless you are really unhappy where you are, I'd crunch numbers heavily and definitely come up for a visit before making the leap. Good luck in whatever you do.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:49 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
I don't think that salary jump is sufficient enough for you to move. They aren't necessarily low balling you, but it doesn't really make financial sense. ALL of that jump will be eaten up by taxation alone..you have higher property taxes, higher state tax, higher sales tax, higher fees, not to mention higher auto insurance, electric rates, etc, .....

I'd counter with 120 and not move for under 115k.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:32 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't think that salary jump is sufficient enough for you to move. They aren't necessarily low balling you, but it doesn't really make financial sense. ALL of that jump will be eaten up by taxation alone..you have higher property taxes, higher state tax, higher sales tax, higher fees, not to mention higher auto insurance, electric rates, etc, .....

I'd counter with 120 and not move for under 115k.

If you re-read FatBob's post, $96K is the COLA - not the total salary

Old 02-06-2012, 09:47 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
I read it as current salary plus 28% (his estimate of COLA) = $96k
He doesn't say what the initial offer is but I guess that is his starting point.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:57 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob View Post
1.28 nets me a number that the rest of this forum has stated is working poor. 96,000. .
I seriously doubt he means he is getting a $96K a year raise.

If you plan on eventually buying a house and settling here long term you need to do some deep research, especially as regards property taxes, which go up every year on Long Island.

I'd also call a local insurance agent and get a quote on all your vehicles. Anyone will give you a quote for free. If you prefer to keep them garaged you may find an issue with that as many houses on Long Island have small one-car garages.

5 kids...that's your biggest expense. There's a reason you don't see many families with 5 kids in most parts of Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: