Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The USPS is the only agency that delivers mail in the USA unlike packages which have multiple competetors. So why is it as the "sole" provider they are still operating in the red! There is no competition!
What? You can't deliver an envelope by fedex?

jeez, I wish I'd known that since we send out about 20 every day at my company...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

jeez, I wish I'd known that since we send out about 20 every day at my company...
As the head mailroom clerk you should know that the only envelopes that FedEx can deliver must be urgent and time sensitive.

Hope you feel good putting postal employees out of work because you choose to use FedEx.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 AM

128 posts, read 251,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I've always been amazed that for pocket change I can send a greeting card one day and it arrives in someone's mailbox across the nation in two days.
I've heard complaints about the USPS but I wonder who would be able to provide for the delivery of letters if they should close.
What if that mailing is more than 1/4" thick? not so cheap anymore $2 ,$3. Tracking or return receipt? It's costly. The problem with the prefunding is the usps is drastically increasing all their prices way above CPI, while keeping mail at 45 cents. They are destroying small businesses that rely on them today, to make sure they are viable 50 years from now.....and to keep the grannies who still mail their bills in and the bloated worker beneficiaries, happy.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:53 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,034,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
The valuable institutions...the creaky old post office delivering circulars...and the creepy old libraries...the favorite haunt of derelicts and pedophiles. Close them both down.
Where would guys like you hang out if you close them? A derelict, pedophile bar in Massapequa I guess.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
As the head mailroom clerk you should know that the only envelopes that FedEx can deliver must be urgent and time sensitive.

Hope you feel good putting postal employees out of work because you choose to use FedEx.
Fedex doesn't deliver "regular" mail because they know they can't match what the postal service charges. Otherwise they would try to compete in that area.

I'm not sure what shipper your janitorial supplies come from, but no one is stopping any shipping company from delivering your love letters to Clay Aiken if they want to provide competition to the USPS.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:00 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,034,873 times
Quote:
Fedex doesn't deliver "regular" mail because they know they can't match what the postal service charges. Otherwise they would try to compete in that area.

I'm not sure what shipper your janitorial supplies come from, but no one is stopping any shipping company from delivering your love letters to Clay Aiken if they want to provide competition to the USPS.
LOL!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Quote:

It would be safe to say that Fedex's fees would be cost prohibitive to mail every single piece of mail..
And I am sure your company passes on the cost for such expedited and documented delivery..

Old 02-10-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It would be safe to say that Fedex's fees would be cost prohibitive to mail every single piece of mail..
And I am sure your company passes on the cost for such expedited and documented delivery..
Considering that postage is not even a smidgen of a fraction of our expenses, in reality, we don't pass it on. Another talk radio talking point that sounds nice to people who like to hear themselves regurgitate their daily dosing of Mark Levine.

Fedex could very easily create an "economy letter" facet of their business if they wanted to. No one is stopping them

Old 02-10-2012, 10:12 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,442 times
Quote:
Fedex could very easily create an "economy letter" facet of their business if they wanted to. No one is stopping them
Are other carriers (besides USPS) allowed to deliver to residential mailboxes?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,088 times
The thing is, even if the gov shuts down the USPS we aren't going to see any relief in taxes... So why bother. just let it run it's course. Did anyone raise this much noise when Kodak pulled out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island