Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:36 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Sure its out there......until the exodus of Long Island sheeple (who think that anywhere BUT LI is paradise, and NO ONE but them struggle in life to pay their bills) bring their thirst for Mc Mansions, expensive schools and 6 day a week garbage collection with them, exponentially increasing the property taxes, thereby obliterating the way of life for the locals. Ever wonder why they hate LI transplants?

Do your research. Areas that have no smart planning for growth and let the builders have their way in uncontrolled home building will be screwed in the future due to massive infrastructure bills. Look at Florida and how their taxes have increased so much. It ain't the cheap retirement place it used to be!

Thank you. I plan on doing a lot of research.. Im' not looking to change the way that life is lived where I am going, otherwise what would be the point of moving then. I understand that we have a lot of little "perks" that other counties in the country do not have (like the garbage collectino, which btw. I only get my garbage collected on 2 days and 3rd day is recycling.. it's 6 days only because there are so many homes and much ground to cover). I am not looking for a McMansion either.. although I am looking for McLand, if you know what I mean. I would probably prefer a house that's been there and established over new, depending. It's land I'm more concerned with because a small house can always be expanded as the family grows. I'm moving to enjoy a different kind of life, not impose the life I've been living on wherever I move to.

Basically I am willing to sacrafice those little luxuries because the price to me is way to high.. and I'm not talkign about money. I'm talking about both parents having to work work work just to pay the bills and not have time to spend with their children. They grow so fast and my husband has already missed so much he doesnt' even realize because he has to work work work.

And.. where people sprawl out too, yes change does happen and things get more expensive..BUT.. it's those that are in on the ground floor that will survive. Our parents are doing fine because they bought their houses BEFORE prices got too far out of hand (and salary increases do not match hte current cost of living increase). When they sell they are taking their big chunk of equity and moving to more affordable places. BUT.. it's the younger generation just starting out that is having a real problem making it here. I do not pretend that I am the ONLY one struggling to pay my bills.. quite the contrary. I see it all the time.. all my friends (I'm in the gen x generation.. and my brothers the gen y) are leaving for a better quality of life or so they don't hvae to live in their parents basements or supplement apartments.

LI has gotten Way out of control. The problem here is that you have the county , the towns and then even smaller municipalities that are taxing taxing taxing to death. So many politicians are living high on the hog and money is just hemorraging from all of them becasue of all the abuses. Just look at all the accounting scandals with the schools that have been exposed over the past couple of years since the Roslyn incident.. and those are the ones that we found out about! It's happening on EVERY level . That and we are double and triple taxed because the municipalities overlap each other. It's absolutely ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
No harm no foul. Heck, I moved from NB to a place called Short Pump VA that consisted of two general stores, an antique shop and one flashing stop light. Other business' down the road sold fresh chicken manure and there was a lady who cut hair in her kitchen. So for the first year or so I walked around scared wondering what I had gotten myself into. Fortunately for me I learned to turn off my LI accent and mannerisms when I lived in California where people laughed when I'd say cawfee and not coffee, so I could at least pass as a non-Damn Yankee. I learned to adjust fast. So I know those people you're talking about, the Bubba's, the Billy Rays and the Cindy Sues, but I know them as people and not stereo types. In return they got to know what Long Islander's are really like.

Besides a Target, Wal-Mart, Kroger, Ukrop's, several upscale jewlers, Khol's, Barnes & Nobels, Lowes and Home Depot here's what else we now have now in Short Pump. Welcome to Short Pump Town Center We're all up to date.

Also Glen Allen, which is just up the road a piece and where I now live was voted one of the best places to live (though we're behind Baldwin) and the schools are great. We've also learned to wear shoes and bath twice a week.

To show how small the world is this past week I was dining at the nice restaurant on the Disney Wonder when a refined lady over heard me tell the waiter where I'm from. Turns out she owned the antique store in Short Pump way back when. Going all that way to talk about little old Short Pump.

NB.. does that stand for North Babylon.. I am originally from there (grew up on Wicks Ave).. perhaps we know each other.. class of 92?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:03 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Class of '77, back when Asst Principle Scottalini was Mr. Scott the long haired social studies teacher and the high school still had fraternities. But howdy there home girl anyways.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:25 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
When first visiting here (1985) I had a rock thrown at my car (NY plates) when driving through Oregon Hill. Since then I've learned to go native as much as possible when traveling. Not many double wides in the nearby rural areas but plenty of farm houses, cinder block homes and even a few shacks. Now down in NC you'll see literally a mansion and the next property over is a single. Anyway, why in the world would you want to drive through a trailer park?

Check this site out for some real fun.
Great Mobile Homes of Mississippi - The Trailer Park (http://drbukk.com/gmhom/park.html - broken link)

You are right that there are people that move to an area who don't get a true lay of the land because they stay in their little enclaves. I'm always out in the country visiting friends so I've learned how to be comfortable out there. I find country people are a lot like LIers in that they don't have time for BS, but they are much more polite about it.

I've never had a problem with the Bubbas, as they share a lot in common with the typical LI Tony. Both talk funny, dress funny and obsess about their favorite sports team or driver. One of the things that Yankees forget is that there is a lot of culture down here. A lot of natives down here, from Southern blue bloods to that guy with one tooth, can trace their family back 200+ years to a given area, and they sure as hell don't need some damn Yankee coming down and bringing their Northern ways with them. Also saying things like "you guys lost the Civil War" won't win you many friends either. There is still a connection both spiritually and physically with the a lot of natives and the Civil War ( or The War Between the States or The War of Northern Aggression). It'd be like if Long Islanders were still aware of Long Island's history beyond the time when the Islanders were almost unbeatable.

The trick to fitting in is being sensitive to the culture and respecting it.
Whatever you say Short Pump

C

Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Default Many have come before you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
God..I grew up here, but I am really really really wanting to leave.

I have a little Levitt house.. too small for the family I plan on growing... and i pay $3300 month mortgage!! EEKK..

Everythings too expensive.. taxes, car insurance, health insurance... we pay so much more..

No more family left here.. so why stay and struggle just to get by.. No quality of life.. who has time to stop and smell the roses when you have to come up with $6000 / month just to cover housing, utilities and transporation costs!

I envision a place where ican get a house that's twice the size of mine for 1/2 the price on 3x's the land.. I know it's out there.

Anyone else thinking of making that exodus!!! Post here and let us know where you are thinking of going.

Me.. either Calvert County, MD or Lancaster County PA
Been there, moved here. While life on Long Island is, in many ways magical it comes at a steep price. I fit the profile that so many herein abhor; I moved to North Carolina in search of a more sensible way of living.

Much of the information you seek already exists and in threads almost identical to the one you started so I recommend you search the forum. If however you're looking for a perspective from someone who once was where you are now both financially and emotionally drop me a direct message and I'll be more then happy to answer any question you may have. You would also do well to search forums for those geographical areas you're thinking of moving to.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:28 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Yep heading to florida to pay 3500 in hoi 7000 in taxes and extra flood ins. Also to live with all the tansients and criminals. But it is sunny and I dont have to deal with ooops I will have to deal with what everyone complains about here. How about N.C. nah everyone hates us and I know people that are affraid to go out at night. How about tennessee ha ha ha ha ha thats like going back in time, suprised they dont crap outside anymore ooops thats rite some do. You see no matter where you go there is something I have been kicking this around for years and checked them all out , they all have there own warts . just what ones can you live with. Ill pay to live here cause I couldnt stand my kids talking like dumb goobers.
I moved to Nashville/Brentwood, TN. It's quite Modern, lol, I went there by way of LI, Then NJ. Don't go to NJ, LONG island is better.
I love it here, have a large house, low taxes, and no state income tax.
My husband asked for a transfer here, so has his NY salary.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
No panic at all my friend ,I really went to these places. I wanted to move to florida for the sun and fishing 12 months a year . but it is to damn expensive now, I would rather pay more for a house then 3500 a year for insurance. that is rediculous.
The Floridians are accually moving to Tn, and some very well off ones. They are buying Million dollar homes in gated communities in Brentwood, TN

Diane

Old 09-05-2007, 09:35 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Moved to the beaches of SC from Long Beach and loving it. There are things about this area south of Myrtle beach that remind me of LI 20-25 years ago and the people are really nice & polite. I haven't heard a horn honk out of frustration and please/thank you's are abundant.

My propery taxes were $1600 this past year and are expected to be cut in half for 2008 due to a readjustment in the sales tax. There is a wonderful life outside of NY.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Moved to the beaches of SC from Long Beach and loving it. There are things about this area south of Myrtle beach that remind me of LI 20-25 years ago and the people are really nice & polite. I haven't heard a horn honk out of frustration and please/thank you's are abundant.

My propery taxes were $1600 this past year and are expected to be cut in half for 2008 due to a readjustment in the sales tax. There is a wonderful life outside of NY.

Thank you.. your posts give me hope that there is a better way of livign outside of LI.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:34 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Thank you.. your posts give me hope that there is a better way of livign outside of LI.
Have you checked out Tolland County CT yet?

Somers made the Money 100.

(2wice as nice and 1/2the price of Baldwin.)

1 hour to the Ferry.

2hrs to NYC
90mTo Boston

Sweet.

C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island