Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:48 AM

20 posts, read 91,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham1010 View Post
If the inspector comes to my house to check on the shed, do i have to let him INTO my house to inspect too?

I dont want him snooping around.
Hey I'm going throught he same thing in oyster bay. No the code agent can not enter your home or your property with out a search warrant. just tell em sorry. I belive the T.O.H. code enforcement is a re active agency, not pro active. This means the agent responded to a complaint made by someone on your property. He won't tell you who made the complaint or what the allegation is but if you decide to fight the issue and take the summons the Town will have to provide you with this information in court as it is your constitutional right to due process. You may be guilty but at least you'll know who your complaining friend is. The first thing you need to do is find out the exact town code you are violating by having the shed. In Oyster Bay your allowed to have 100 square foot sheds w/o a permit. maybe it would be cheaper to remove your old shed and replace it with a couple of sheds allowed w/o a permit? as mentioned in earlier post it cost a bit to file with the town to maintain a structure. If you think about it you can comply and break the code agents balls at the same time. good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
ToH has regs and Levittown even stricter regs. Size limits, setback restrictions, height restrictions, corner property 2nd front yard issue, neighbors driveway visibility, etc. Fun, huh?
Funny I read rants on here all the time about HOA's that are more prevalant in the south but even they are far more resonable about a shed..

Setback especially for a corner lot I can see but the potential for several hundred in fees with inspections.... They would have a heart attack if they saw my double 8x12's in the back yard...

Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkthewalk View Post
Hey I'm going throught he same thing in oyster bay. No the code agent can not enter your home or your property with out a search warrant. just tell em sorry. I belive the T.O.H. code enforcement is a re active agency, not pro active. This means the agent responded to a complaint made by someone on your property. He won't tell you who made the complaint or what the allegation is but if you decide to fight the issue and take the summons the Town will have to provide you with this information in court as it is your constitutional right to due process. You may be guilty but at least you'll know who your complaining friend is. The first thing you need to do is find out the exact town code you are violating by having the shed. In Oyster Bay your allowed to have 100 square foot sheds w/o a permit. maybe it would be cheaper to remove your old shed and replace it with a couple of sheds allowed w/o a permit? as mentioned in earlier post it cost a bit to file with the town to maintain a structure. If you think about it you can comply and break the code agents balls at the same time. good luck
Walkthewalk (etc), please stop giving erroneous information on thread after thread. You keep inferring to this as a criminal or civil matter where they have to tell you who complained, etc. THEY DON'T!! The Town is enforcing the code. There is no question of GUILT or INNOCENCE. The shed (or pool or whatever) is THERE, you are GUILTY!! The matter is simply to CLEAR THE VIOLATION as in remove it, get a permit for it and/or get a variance if necessary. EVERYTHING else is a legal means for them to make you comply. You don't subpeona ANYTHING, knowing who complained is moot. I keep trying to advise you of this, you say 'thanks" and then post more gibberish and links to your whacky Facebook video.

I'm trying to help someone out with an honest question. GPC concurs and went through the same process. I just spent 15 months getting 3 CO's for items that were in existence when we bought the house years ago. I did a ton of research and went through it all soup to nuts. I hate admonishing anyone and I understand your frustration.

Believe me, I'm the king of venting on these boards but I MAKE SURE to do my best to give accurate info to the best of my knowledge. It does a disservice to rant on with pointless inaccurate arguments while dozens of posters reply you are off base (some a lot less friendly about it than me). C'mon, dude, give it a rest please.

The answer(s) to the question:
1. Legally no they cannot come in without your permission.
2. They may only be interested in the shed but I wouldn't put anything past them.
3. If they see something that looks different than whats on file they could issue a violation for that (same process) to try and get in. It's a coin toss. Maybe he just wants to get you for the shed. Is it in an obvious bad spot/view? If he's driving by and saw it maybe busting your balls for that is all he wants to do. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Funny I read rants on here all the time about HOA's that are more prevalant in the south but even they are far more resonable about a shed..

Setback especially for a corner lot I can see but the potential for several hundred in fees with inspections.... They would have a heart attack if they saw my double 8x12's in the back yard...
I would laugh if it didn't make me cry. Levittown shed can be 144sqin BUT cannot be greater than 12' on any wall sooooo.....unless you have a yard that a square a shed (12x12) makes sense (in Levittown?!?) you are forced to go smaller. We replaced 2 dilapated sheds on the same footprint and needed rectangular. I went 10x14 to max. sqft only to find out the "no length longer than 12' rule' later. D'oh!!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Mine was an 8x12 on a slab then the previous owner build another 8x12 next to it so it is 8x24'. We refer to them as the Sharecroppers Condos but they look fine...

Old 02-10-2012, 09:32 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,280 times
Town of Hempstead seems like a bunch of @ holes why do people live their and put up with this crap.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:35 AM

78 posts, read 235,008 times
I don't see what the big freaking deal is. Why the hell do i need so much paperwork BS for a damn shed! Its not like plumbing or electrical.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham1010 View Post
I don't see what the big freaking deal is. Why the hell do i need so much paperwork BS for a damn shed! Its not like plumbing or electrical.
I did contemplate shooting the inspector in the kneecap but decided against it. Besides, he's already public enemy #1 in my town.
It's a revenue scam. They say we all "should have gotten the permit before constructing the shed." They know during the boom mortgage co's were not looking for CO's and couldn't lend fast enough. Attorneys and title co's recused themselves (in tiny fine print) from responsibility for "permit or code issues." So the homeowner is left holding the bag trying to make it right and the town sees an easy target for revenue.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:36 PM

20 posts, read 91,772 times
Default Your way off base

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I did contemplate shooting the inspector in the kneecap but decided against it. Besides, he's already public enemy #1 in my town.
It's a revenue scam. They say we all "should have gotten the permit before constructing the shed." They know during the boom mortgage co's were not looking for CO's and couldn't lend fast enough. Attorneys and title co's recused themselves (in tiny fine print) from responsibility for "permit or code issues." So the homeowner is left holding the bag trying to make it right and the town sees an easy target for revenue.

WHoooooa dude first off everything I've said is accurate. The 4th District Court in Hempstead is a criminal court where the rules of the C.P.L. apply. To verify I just called em at 516 493-4200. just because YOU didn't know your rights and were led around by the nose by the town doesn't make me an ass for standing up for myself. And who died and left you in charge? YOU already told me so why am I still posting? Sounds like you should of done your home work before buying your house and then going to court. and by the way although I have been called the king of revenge I've never had the urge to shoot anyone. lol ps knowing who made the complaint is not moot if your summons is dismmissed or you win the judgement. there is such a thing as a malicous procecution case. this does take place in civil court the more i read your post the more i laugh the town can just do whatever it wants? maybe to you but not to me.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 PM

78 posts, read 235,008 times
Can we kindly take the pissing match somewhere else, and leave this thread to its intended purpose, raging about the ToH building nazi's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island