Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:20 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The 'average' plumber who works for a plumbing company like the 'average' teacher who works for a school district, might get a few tips from homeowners.
There is a lot more ca$h out there than just tips. Completely different topic but the cash economy is huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 08:21 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Maybe your wife hasnt been in the ranks long enough?

I had a retired neighbor that told me she still has healthcare paid by the district she retired from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Seriously, where does this free healthcare crap come from? Is it the old "keep saying the same lie and someone will believe it" method?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:22 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
By any chance would you happen to know what teachers (on average) might pay toward their health insurance package? I might be looking in the wrong places as I am coming up blank. Thanks.
It depends on the district. I know teachers in about 6 different districts and not one of them has free healthcare.

I don't have my wife's check stub in front of me but I think our plan is 165 or 175 a month. Not exactly free.

The "cadillac" plan at my job (which is actually better than my wifes insurance) is $205 a month. Coverage that is basically the same as my wifes is something like $195.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Maybe your wife hasnt been in the ranks long enough?

I had a retired neighbor that told me she still has healthcare paid by the district she retired from.
It depends on the district and what benefits they were hired under. It doesn't have anything to do with how long you've worked, benefits don't change, it's based on what "tier" you were hired under.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 AM

321 posts, read 595,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter
At this point I don't think any teachers on long island earn a base salary of over $140,000.00 and those would be at the 30+ year mark.

The latest available data on STNY is from 2008. Central Islip SD...

The first 15 results made over $140k base salary and most made over $200k after whatever additional stipends they earned.

$205k
$202k
$197k
$179k
$174k
$173k
etc...

My wife is a teacher and she worked hard to get her degree (and we are still drowning in student loans) but when she reaches some of the higher steps in another 8 years or so, I think she'll be overpaid.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times
When medicare kicks in it becomes primary and my employer only pays medicare part B cost. Should be the same for the schools.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:
After the plumber is paid, he has to pay the IRS, NYS, MTA, general liability, umbrella, workers comp, health insurance, retirement savings, disability, commercial auto, vehicle costs, rent/storage, utilities, materials, licensing, advertising, legal fees, chasing down deadbeats, etc.

I know a lot of plumbers who do well, but the teachers do have them beat by virtue of having the bulk of their health and dental paid for, as well as their retirement. Plus they don't have to worry about the taxpayers stiffing them

Plus they don't have to worry about the taxpayers stiffing them - YET!!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
So the average teacher takes home (after taxes) somewhat more than the average plumber (after taxes) ? I would have thought it was about the same. Nevertheless, hard to get excited over the average teachers' salary when one puts it in that context.
When it's being paid as a taxpayer "carte blanche" sky-is-the-limit ever-increasing property taxes with no rhyme or reason it is. A plumber has to make a profit. That is why public sector unions should be illegal: they drive up the price of labor to much more than what is paid in the private sector (see private school and parochial school teacher compensation) and stick the bill to the taxpayers.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yep, sounds like a bunch teacher bashing, why not just pay teachers minimum wage at an hourly rate and call it good. I am sure that would make you all feel so much better, make those elite teacher poor like everyone else.

Anyway, have fun with the teacher bashing.
Can't we ask for a happy medium without all the drama?

Teachers being compensated fairly and appropriately without breaking the backs of the taxpayers?

Minimum wage for teachers?

I think private/parochial school teacher compensation is too little and public school is too much on Long Island.

I am only talking about Long Island here.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
A 'gym teacher' making 150,000.00 a few years back was a rare bird unless he was racking up the coaching, drivers ed, supervision, or extracurricular stipends. Or, he was teaching an extra class - and this does happen. It is not at all unusual for a 'gym teacher' to be the highest compensated teacher in a district - given the availability of coaching stipends. At this point I don't think any teachers on long island earn a base salary of over $140,000.00 and those would be at the 30+ year mark.
Go to SeeThroughNY :: Home and look up compensation in your school district. It is not such a rare bird and also happens sooner than the 30 year mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island