Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:20 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green2102 View Post
BigMike50, are you or were you in law enforcement ?

Thank you I am aware of no. 1 that is why we took the steps to contact the police. But why two police officers in full uniform in my kitchen or at a desks and not on patrol

I still say: So when seconds count when someone is coming at me with a gun of any type I am supposed to stand there with my cheap Walmart broom and beat them off while waiting minutes for a professional to arrive ?

Why is it only law enforcement's right to protect me with a gun ? Why as a upstanding law abiding citizen can I not protect myself with my weapon of choice ? This seems to be more about control and providing a purpose for the professionals then about me protecting myself and my family.

Further, one will never know how many crimes have been pervented because the would be criminal has knowledge that someone is armed.

Can you provide me a link to the statistic of Richmond, VA ?
Retired both PD and Military. If you don't know that Richmond, VA is one of the most crime infested city in that nation, you been living under a rock the last 30 years.

"law abiding citizen" Everyone is one until : They drink or get pissed off or get emotional or get personally involved, etc, etc.

Imagine everyone having a gun . Here's a typical day. You wake up and your neighbor is parked in front of your house after you ask him on several occasions not to...I'm going to show him.. Hey hun where's my gun. Your driving to work and someone cuts you off big time...hey where's that gun. During X-Mas season you get into an argument at Roosevelt field over that parking spot someone takes out a gun. Someone starts to chat up your wife (My wife is sexy and I know it) I get pissed off and take out my gun.
My son get into a fight with another kid, I yell at them to stop, so I decide to take out my gun to stop it.

Imagine 8 million people in the city and 4 million more on the Island with guns . You and everyone thinks they are normal but let me tell you not everyone is. Then you mix alcohol and drugs prescription or otherwise in the mix...... A lot of people have a very short fuse and the last thing I want is them to have access to a firearm. When my wife is PMS'ing I don't want her near a gun. A lot of my law abiding citizens friends I wouldn't want to see them with a plastic spoon in their hands nevertheless a gun

Throwing a gun into everyone's hands is not the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 08:21 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
This speaks for itself. Unbelievable.
You seem to have lots of time on your hands today, skippy. Guess you're screwing the boss by spending the day on these threads. Wonder if he knows?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:26 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
You seem to have lots of time on your hands today, skippy. Guess you're screwing the boss by spending the day on these threads. Wonder if he knows?
..and right on cue, PBA robo-attack/spammer arrives.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
I don't know why, but when someone trying to sound tough calls someone else "skippy" I just laugh and laugh.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:16 AM

37 posts, read 59,815 times
Good thing the third copy had a gun.

Work dispute sparked ICE agent shootout at federal building in Long Beach: report - NYPOST.com

Can you image if the UVA campus had not just outlawed guns just the prior year ?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 AM

37 posts, read 59,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Retired both PD and Military. If you don't know that Richmond, VA is one of the most crime infested city in that nation, you been living under a rock the last 30 years.

"law abiding citizen" Everyone is one until : They drink or get pissed off or get emotional or get personally involved, etc, etc.

Imagine everyone having a gun . Here's a typical day. You wake up and your neighbor is parked in front of your house after you ask him on several occasions not to...I'm going to show him.. Hey hun where's my gun. Your driving to work and someone cuts you off big time...hey where's that gun. During X-Mas season you get into an argument at Roosevelt field over that parking spot someone takes out a gun. Someone starts to chat up your wife (My wife is sexy and I know it) I get pissed off and take out my gun.
My son get into a fight with another kid, I yell at them to stop, so I decide to take out my gun to stop it.

Imagine 8 million people in the city and 4 million more on the Island with guns . You and everyone thinks they are normal but let me tell you not everyone is. Then you mix alcohol and drugs prescription or otherwise in the mix...... A lot of people have a very short fuse and the last thing I want is them to have access to a firearm. When my wife is PMS'ing I don't want her near a gun. A lot of my law abiding citizens friends I wouldn't want to see them with a plastic spoon in their hands nevertheless a gun

Thank you for your service.

You see I have decided to come out from under my rock and have started to question the many things that I see.

You admit that you were in law enforcement and that you were a lieutenant but you throw out "If you don't know that Richmond, VA is one of the most crime infested city in that nation, you been living under a rock the last 30 years."

With all do respect I believe that as a retired law enforcement professional which obtained a rank that I would have expected a better reply.

"Most crime invested city" could mean that all of the violence is being committed by gangs with illegal guns. Where is your back up that the law abiding citizen are shooting up the world or would if all were allowed to obtain guns ?

In reply to your speculations:

So why does not that drunk or anger jealous now not a law abiding citizen use that louse shot gun in accommodation of a gun to accomplish now these same scenarios that you describe above ?

What is the answer ?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:16 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Please stop insulting each other and bickering back & forth. That is the way to get an interesting thread closed. Thanks.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-17-2012, 08:49 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
But it sure makes for a polite society. I'm permitted to carry concealed, like a lot of folks I know, and it's not like the wild west down here.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:07 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Keep law enforcement to the professionals, that's their job and that's what they're trained to do. Untrained civilians with a firearm is a recipe for disaster...trust me.

What your saying is give me a scalpel and let me do surgeries, lol
In a perfect world that would work, but in reality not so much. After all a person should learn first aid as they'll likely be the first responder at any accident they see happen, they should also be able (and trained) to defend themselves if need be. Yes, let LE do the enforcement but when it comes to self defense the citizen should have the option to take responsibility for protecting themselves.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
..and right on cue, PBA robo-attack/spammer arrives.
Sometimes I wonder if the PBA has a "Bat-Signal" that they activate whenever some dares to speak out against the status quo.

One has the responsibility for their own security. Law enforcement, and the US Supreme Court has upheld this, is not responsible for protecting people. Their responsibility is to investigate crimes and to try and deter them. Get a rifle or a shotgun, an alarm, and a dog - no need to depend on a cop who is minutes or hours away when you need one at that very second. A good shotgun can be brought for less than $300. Average response time to burglaries in progress calls in southwestern Suffolk is up to 1 hour

Want more cops? Impose 40% pay cut and we would actually be able to afford more cops. It's quite simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island