Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 AM

95 posts, read 235,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney8 View Post
there are some Dominican/ Mexican gangs in the area. You can read the police blotters to get a better idea. Also a lot of Mexicans and blacks are moving into the area by the Train and Heatherwood apartments. I've also heard about people selling coke on the corner mostly in the Terryville area. West PJS mostly has a pill problem coming from its proximity to East Setauket.
Dominican/Mexican... are they interchangeable now? One's a carribbean island & the other's our neighbor to the south. I'm just saying. We barely have any Mexicans in Port Jeff. Most of the people you're referring to are Central American. I've heard of Salvadorean gangs but they're hardly centered in our area although I'm sure there's some "members" here. Gang activity spills over to wherever drugs are sold, which is unfortunately everywhere now.

No one sells "coke" on the corner anymore. Heroin, crack or pills are the drugs of choice from what I understand, and no one hangs out on the corner to do it! Usually some nice car pulls up next to some beat up car and there you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 12:31 PM

426 posts, read 960,418 times
How are the schools though? I heard Comsewogue is decent but neighboring Newfield is only ok?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:29 PM

140 posts, read 214,446 times
Port Jeff station and upper port are spiraling into the most dangerous ghetto on long island. Stabbings and muggings every week, gang presence is everywhere. The constables are meeting train riders to try to make them fell safe. not happening.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:48 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
i don"t even think Iraq is in the same area code as brentwood lol

Old 02-17-2012, 01:50 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
i don"t even think Iraq is in the same area code as brentwood lol
I don't think so either. Probably because it's on another continent.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
I found a site (I can't post it because it's a competing site), but it shows the population that is of a certain nationality in each census tract/block group. I was actually surprised to find out that there weren't a whole lot of Mexicans in most Hispanic communities on LI (I think the highest was Brentwood at something like 10%). I think Salvadoreans made up the largest Hispanic group on LI. For instance, in one section of Hempstead, the Mexican population was 2.3%, and the Salvadorean population was 44%. (Not a typo). There are always a large number of "Other Hispanic" (I guess they didn't fill in a country), so we don't know what they are.

In any case, city-data said that the Dominican population was 3.2% (I'm too lazy to look up the exact website). Like I said, there are probably a bunch who didn't fill out what Hispanic nationality they are. (And just for reference, the overall Hispanic population in PJS is 15%, at least according to the Census)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
I don't think so either. Probably because it's on another continent.
LMAO!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:56 PM

152 posts, read 292,269 times
How do you know their ethnicity? You assume they are Puerto Rican....did they all look like JLo or Ricky Martin? Just wondering.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:11 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
How do you know their ethnicity? You assume they are Puerto Rican....did they all look like JLo or Ricky Martin? Just wondering.
They spoke Spanish, so it makes no difference if they're Rican, Dominican, or Salvis - they're all the same! It's the same with English, I just assume anyone speaking it is white-bread American.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:17 PM

152 posts, read 292,269 times
"they are all the same ".....just lovely.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:49 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
"they are all the same ".....just lovely.
I could quote my favorite bumper sticker but then i get 5 points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island