Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 05:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Interesting article.

It repeatedly and solely refers to the clients of this organization as "boys," which I assume means they are kids, children, underage.

So this is what all the complaining about the homeless in PJ is about? Boys living in a program?

Or is "The Patch" softpedaling what is really going on?

You mentioned you drove through yesterday. Did you only see homeless or vagrant-looking type boys roaming around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 05:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Interesting article.

It repeatedly and solely refers to the clients of this organization as "boys," which I assume means they are kids, children, underage.

So this is what all the complaining about the homeless in PJ is about? Boys living in a program?

You mentioned you drove through yesterday. Did you only see homeless or vagrant-looking type boys roaming around?
They use the term 'boys' because the purpose of Hope House was to serve those. 16-21. They ministry does not limit itself to that age group.

This is an older article such illustrates some of what we see:
Homeless on Long Island

What I observed on my drive up Main St were primarily middle-aged, weary looking, unkempt men (one drinking from a brown bag) sitting in front of the boarded up 104 Main (PJS side of LIRR) a couple milling about on the bench on the PJV side of the LIRR. One leaning against the fence of the rest (?) Home. There were a couple of Hispanic men walking away from the train station toward the Hispanic deli.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:50 PM

13 posts, read 26,993 times
Quote:
Interesting article.

I honestly don't think the problem is Hope House. A close friend of mine stayed there when it first opened and from what I understand FF runs a tight ship. He eventually was able to attend college and held public office! Most of the "boys" are troubled teens from the area. His family lived in Terryville. Pax Christi, on the other hand, seems like a magnet for middle-age transients with the overflow clogging the Upper Port area. Wouldn't vigilant enforcement of loitering (not to mention, public drinking) laws solve a lot of these issues?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:26 AM

Port Jefferson Station latest news:

DA: Port Jefferson Station Meat Farms Parking Lot Used in Heroin-Prostitution Ring - Port Jefferson, NY Patch

Quote:

The Meat Farms on Route 112 and one area motel in Port Jefferson Station were singled out by Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota on Monday as he provided more details about a heroin-prostitution ring that he said operated throughout several areas in Brookhaven Town including Coram and Medford.
The troubled 'boys' aren't quite as local as you would like to believe or try to have others believe.

Quote:
Russell was purchasing raw, uncut heroin from Taquan Rashad, of the Bronx, which Spota said was unusual for these types of deals. The cutting and packaging was either done at Russell's home or at Lee Appling's home also in Coram. The heroin was then turned over to the runners, which Licata and Appling were a part of, Spota said.

The primary locations identified as where the heroin was sold included outside of the Meat Farms in Port Jefferson Station, a Handy Pantry convenience store in Coram and a Kmart in Farmingville, as well as several Centereach locations.

In addition to the heroin ring, Spota said that Russell was housing four prostitutes at a time.

"Most of the prostitutes ranged in age from 19 to 22, 23 years of age," Spota said. "And what she was doing in exchange for their prostitution services she was providing them with housing, clothing, food, cell phones, toiletries and what they needed absolutely the most is heroin, that's what she was paying them with for the most part."

One of the exhibits at the press conference was a record showing how much heroin a prostitute would get based on the amount of money they brought in. Spota said this started at $80, or 15 minutes or service, equaling two bags.

Spota said that all of the money and tips were turned over to Russell. Spota said the prostitutes worked out of the Comfort Inn, Gaslight Motor Inn and 112 Motel in Medford, and the American Motel in Port Jefferson Station.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Port Jefferson Station latest news:

DA: Port Jefferson Station Meat Farms Parking Lot Used in Heroin-Prostitution Ring - Port Jefferson, NY Patch

The troubled 'boys' aren't quite as local as you would like to believe or try to have others believe.
I read the article and there is no mention of Hope House or Pax Christi.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBassTian View Post
I honestly don't think the problem is Hope House. A close friend of mine stayed there when it first opened and from what I understand FF runs a tight ship. He eventually was able to attend college and held public office! Most of the "boys" are troubled teens from the area. His family lived in Terryville. Pax Christi, on the other hand, seems like a magnet for middle-age transients with the overflow clogging the Upper Port area. Wouldn't vigilant enforcement of loitering (not to mention, public drinking) laws solve a lot of these issues?
Interesting you should say this, considering one of the comments on this story:

Hope House Addresses Community About Homeless Issues - Port Jefferson, NY Patch

Quote:
BillLongisland
7:18 am on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What it is Mels Ditties, is, covering up for Father Frank and whatever he has a "finger in" locally !

Over the past year he was taking his "show on the road", as it were, appearing at local schools all over the area.

Once you have the gravitas that he has, doors "open" and doors "close" on things.

There are probably so many former or present "patients" of his, in and out of local government, among the Local Political Elites, and in the police itself...well, you know ;-)

What's ironic, is, none of this "help" he gets really helps him in the end...it just adds to the Hole he is digging for himself...Remember Pride cometh before the Fall ! And it may be a Big One for him someday.

It's Human Nature, and in Brookhaven it's just a way of Life !

Old 08-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Assaults, Robberies, and Drugs: Oh My! - Port Jefferson, NY Patch

One of the commenters stated she moved from Brentwood to get away from the nonsense and now she is dealing with it again.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I read the article and there is no mention of Hope House or Pax Christi.
Why should the article mention it? It describes a frightening organized crime ring who clearly don't need any charity from FF. Did you see the stacks of cash? This article convinces me things are on a downward spiral.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Interesting you should say this, considering one of the comments on this story:

Hope House Addresses Community About Homeless Issues - Port Jefferson, NY Patch
The friend of mine who stayed at Hope House held public office in Maine... far from the jurisdiction of P.J.!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM

414 posts, read 808,798 times
Why has FF not commented at all about the outcry from the local residents about this? If he is such a wonderful and helpful, caring man, you think he would have some words to say. I'd love for him to take up residence in the immediate area and see how much he likes it. A friend of mine recently asked him about it in person, he stumbled and backpedaled and had nothing to say. POS if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island