Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 04:12 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times

Advertisements

Stupidist thread in awhile!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 07:16 PM

66 posts, read 151,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy Q Yankee View Post
FYI - The IHOP was robbed at knifepoint, the guy didn't even rob the cash register, he went straight up to a few customers and robbed them. It was bizarre.

Dominicans have lived in this town for years. The Puerto Ricans in this town are few and far between and the ones I know have been here for years as well. They aren't a problem. As a matter of fact, my neighbors for the past 20 years are Dominicans. (They are some wonderful neighbors by the way).

We have a very unique situation in the upper port area of a lot of homeless spilling over from Pax Christie/Hope House and also from the Day Rehab Center and the rehab at Mather Hospital. Not to mention the train station is right there. We have a huge drug problem on this island and people are bused in to these facilities. 99% of the problem in Port Jeff is not FROM Port Jeff.

People also like to blame illegal immigrants for bringing the town down, and while I understand that with illegal immigrants do come some issues, I feel the weight of the problem lies on the above ^. We also don't have nearly as many illegal immigrants in Port Jeff as there are in Brentwood/CI.

Take it from a resident. It's still a nice place to live. There's a LOT more to Port Jeff Station than the Upper Port area. There's plans to "revitalize" the area by upper port. I like the diversity of the neighborhood.
Port Jeff Station has always been shady on Route 112 but the new influx of homeless are being directed away from the train tracks and they moved to the area around Port Jeff Plaza and the 7-11. You can definitely see the spread of sketchiness all the way to that bank on the corner of the Plaza and farther. It doesn't help that a liquor store is going in at Blockbusters old spot. So how do you see things going in a year from now? It's a no-brainer.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:55 AM

426 posts, read 959,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney8 View Post
Port Jeff Station has always been shady on Route 112 but the new influx of homeless are being directed away from the train tracks and they moved to the area around Port Jeff Plaza and the 7-11. You can definitely see the spread of sketchiness all the way to that bank on the corner of the Plaza and farther. It doesn't help that a liquor store is going in at Blockbusters old spot. So how do you see things going in a year from now? It's a no-brainer.

Its just sad.....I used to live there and that bank you speak of is a TFCU which is right across from IHOP...

Is there a reason the homeless are being moved or directed away from Mather and the rehab sites?

Also I believe that a lot of the ppl who are coming to PJS are re-locating from the city (Queens and Bronx) but they are bringing ppl or having ppl visit who are of questionable character (ie-gang members)

Suprising the Dominican pop. of PJS is only 15%.....I thought it would be a lot higher....

Old 02-18-2012, 10:30 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Suprising the Dominican pop. of PJS is only 15%.....I thought it would be a lot higher....
No, the total Hispanic population is 15% (14.8% to be exact). The Dominican population is 4.8%. In Terryville, the Hispanic population is 15.9%, with a Dominican population of 5.9%.

Believe it or not, the CDP on LI with the highest percentage of Dominicans is Freeport, at 12.9%, followed by Copiague at 12.4%, and Brentwood at 6.9%. North Bay Shore is 5.7% Dominican, and North Amityville is 5.6% Dominican.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 AM

95 posts, read 235,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
They spoke Spanish, so it makes no difference if they're Rican, Dominican, or Salvis - they're all the same! It's the same with English, I just assume anyone speaking it is white-bread American.
Ignorance.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:49 AM

95 posts, read 235,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Is there a reason the homeless are being moved or directed away from Mather and the rehab sites?
I don't think it's necesarily that they're being directed or moved away from the rehab sites, some of the rehab programs are day programs. The bus stop & train station in upper port are where the attendees often congregate.

Also, from what I've heard, the Hope House and Pax Christie often turn people away from various reasons and then they have nowhere to go but around there.

Drugs have done a lot of damage to the island as a whole, brought a lot of nice areas down, not just Port Jeff. The areas with transit (bus/train) have it worse than others. We need a bigger MTA Police presence there as well. Heard there's plans for a satellite SCPD station @ the Port Jeff Station. Wouldn't be a horrible idea.

And by the way, on the topic of hispanics... I'm just hoping that my kids don't have to grow up around a bunch of ignorant racists who judge them based upon their last name/skin color/language. I'm so disgusted by some of the things said here.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
It should also be noted that Puerto Ricans are native born US citizens and the island is an integral part of the United States ... they are as American as the rest of us except they speak Spanish as a first language.

Most "Hispanics" on Long Island are either Dominicans or Central Americans (ie: Salvadorans, Guatemalans, Hondurans, etc) with a smattering of Ecuadorans.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:04 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney8 View Post
There are 3 liquor stores and one wine store on, 25A in Setauket. Things haven't gone downhill, but then again the clientelle for appears to be local residents.

Do you feel that the liquor store going in by the former Blockbuster will specialize more in the Night Train crowd?

I am less than thrilled that the walking path to Setauket ends up behind there. It is only a matter of time before some transient, gang initiate, or relocated criminal harms an innocent pedestrian or bicyclist.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:40 PM

69 posts, read 158,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There are 3 liquor stores and one wine store on, 25A in Setauket. Things haven't gone downhill, but then again the clientelle for appears to be local residents.

Do you feel that the liquor store going in by the former Blockbuster will specialize more in the Night Train crowd?

I am less than thrilled that the walking path to Setauket ends up behind there. It is only a matter of time before some transient, gang initiate, or relocated criminal harms an innocent pedestrian or bicyclist.
I'd say it's much more likely your retirement will be stolen by a rich, old white guy.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It should also be noted that Puerto Ricans are native born US citizens and the island is an integral part of the United States ... they are as American as the rest of us except they speak Spanish as a first language.

Most "Hispanics" on Long Island are either Dominicans or Central Americans (ie: Salvadorans, Guatemalans, Hondurans, etc) with a smattering of Ecuadorans.
Not in my book its not connected to america so their not citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island