Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:51 AM

520 posts, read 1,653,410 times

Advertisements

I live in the ugly house on my block and I think it is time to change the siding. This is my first house so I have a few questions:

Are there contractors that specialize in siding? Or do I use a general contractor? Any recommendation?

Should I add insulation to the outside of my house? Has anyone done this?

I live in a 1,100 square foot ranch. I was told by a general contractor it would be around $10,000 to do siding without insulation. Is it really that expensive?

If you have any other advice I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 08:57 AM

426 posts, read 960,301 times
I would probably get the insulation, in the winter time it will probably save you money on your heating and utility bills so the heat doesn't "leak out"...

Old 02-18-2012, 12:05 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
I live in the ugly house on my block and I think it is time to change the siding. This is my first house so I have a few questions:

Are there contractors that specialize in siding? Or do I use a general contractor? Any recommendation?

I live in a 1,100 square foot ranch. I was told by a general contractor it would be around $10,000 to do siding without insulation. Is it really that expensive?

A general contractor usually subs out the work and takes a percentage for "finding" the people who do the work. Maybe getting referrals for a company that specializes in siding would work best?
Personally, I would take care of insulation at the same time - should definitely save you $$ in heating and cooling costs in the long run.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Insulate when you side. It will be worth the extra cost in the long run. What type of siding were you looking to do? Vinyl has gone up considerably as the cost of oil goes up. Did the contractor tell you how many squares you need?

Old 02-18-2012, 03:38 PM

I asked the contractor for a ballpark figure while he was doing some other work. Is there a certain type of siding I should be looking at? Does $10,000 see right? I think it is insane to spend that on siding.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:55 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:

we were able to deduct part of the cost of the insulation off our federal taxes several years ago - not sure if that still true today - any accountants out there?

Old 02-18-2012, 05:55 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
we were able to deduct part of the cost of the insulation off our federal taxes several years ago - not sure if that still true today - any accountants out there?
Ended in 2011

Old 02-18-2012, 06:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
I asked the contractor for a ballpark figure while he was doing some other work. Is there a certain type of siding I should be looking at? Does $10,000 see right? I think it is insane to spend that on siding.
It would be helpful if you knew what brand of siding and style (I'm assuming it is vinyl) as well as the number of squares. From there you can calculate a price per square.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Is there a certain brand or style I should be looking at? I am at the very beginning stages of this.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
We went with sears and paid $13,000 but we had gotten quotes from unified who wanted $9500, never called us back when we left messages about wanting to change some ideas we had. Window world was about $9400 but I was not impressed with the salesman. Another company and I forget their name wanted abot $8500 but told me I really did not need siding until I showed him the damage that the squirrells did to my soffets. Needless to say Sears was the best choice even though they were expensive, they did everything they said they were going to do, the job started in a week, took them 2 full days and we were very happy. Plus they give you a sears gift card to spend anyway you like if you go with the job. I think it was $350.00. Oh we went with the dutch lap style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island