Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
A question for the informed - after how many years of service does the typical NCPD officer top out at 26 sick days/year ? Are all these unused sick days cashed out upon retirement ?
Nassau County Police Department

Does anyone else out there get 18-26 sick days a year ? Ours were reduced from 5 -> 0 last year, now we are forced to use our vacation days when we are sick.
You're asking ME? I believe unused sick days are cashed out upon retirement. However, the expert will be along soon if he cares to share that information with the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 06:22 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
When I read the article I thought it alluded to raising the cap on vacation time and sick leave cash in at retirement. Severance pay from what I read in print, includes base pay, holiday pay, shift differerntial, longevity pay, not vacation, etc.

It appears that they normally receive 2X the items mentioned if terminated, but under this agreement 2.5X.

Cash in of sick leave and vacation are in addition to severance?
The Newsday article ommitted a number of very cogent facts. Termination pay includes none of the things you've cited. It is primarily a payout based upon the number of unused vacation days, comp time and sick leave an individual officer has accumulated throughout his 20 year (or more) career.

Under the last contract, the termination pay was capped at twice base salary.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
A question for the informed - after how many years of service does the typical NCPD officer top out at 26 sick days/year ? Are all these unused sick days cashed out upon retirement ?
Nassau County Police Department

Does anyone else out there get 18-26 sick days a year ? Ours were reduced from 5 -> 0 last year, now we are forced to use our vacation days when we are sick.
There is a cap on the number of days that can be accumulated in all categories -- vacation, comp time, sick leave,etc.. And termination pay allows for payment of half of accumulated sick leave.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Actually that report showed overall crime DOWN in every category except burglary/robbery. All violent crime categories were down. Nice spin, though. Even the chief admits the mild winter has likely increased the burglary/robbery numbers over last year. Gold at $1600/oz is also a factor making what was petty now grand. Fewer burglaries/robberies when there is snow on the ground, go figure. Maybe you missed criminology 101 class that day, prince.

From your own article:
In Nassau, despite the increase in burglaries and a nearly 5 percent increase in robberies, overall major crime stayed level, increasing just 0.38 percent in 2011. In Suffolk, overall crime decreased 2.7 percent in the same period.

Some violent crimes showed big declines. Murder in Nassau fell by 57 percent and in Suffolk by 36 percent, and serious assaults fell by 1.6 percent in Nassau and 6.5 percent in Suffolk.

[URL="http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/long_island&id=8551024"]Burglaries up in Nassau County amid precinct closures | 7online.com[/URL]

From the story:

"VALLEY STREAM, N.Y. (WABC) -- The number of home burglaries in Nassau County has more than doubled in the first six weeks of this year.

Now some residents fear a shakeup in the police department could make the crime problem even worse in Valley Stream and several other communities."

Also, there has been an increase in sexual assaults, including a statistically huge increase in rape.

[URL]http://www.police.co.nassau.ny.us/nass_stat/pdf/TOTAL.pdf[/URL]

Old 02-22-2012, 01:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Default Maybe ***I*** should be a researcher, reporter or writer! :D :D :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Burglaries up in Nassau County amid precinct closures | 7online.com

From the story:

"VALLEY STREAM, N.Y. (WABC) -- The number of home burglaries in Nassau County has more than doubled in the first six weeks of this year.

Now some residents fear a shakeup in the police department could make the crime problem even worse in Valley Stream and several other communities."

Also, there has been an increase in sexual assaults, including a statistically huge increase in rape.

http://www.police.co.nassau.ny.us/na.../pdf/TOTAL.pdf
Only one little problem with that article.

I don't see what that story has to do with Valley Stream. Anyone who actually reads the story will see the victim they were interviewing's house is in West Hempstead and the other victim's home is in Manhasset.

Perhaps the "VALLEY STREAM, N.Y. (WABC)" was a misprint? Because NOTHING in it had anything to report on Valley Stream. As some here have mentioned, the main stream media makes mistakes, oversights, etc. (Yes, even the ones that aren't Newsday!)

The communities that are currently in "jeopardy" according to the direct quote of the NCPD's chief of department, Steven Skrynecki, are as follows:

LI cops target rising number of burglaries
Search Result item

Quote:
Among the trouble spots where the Nassau department has experienced "quite a bit of activity," Skrynecki said, are Plainview, Jericho, Levittown, Bethpage, East Meadow and Baldwin.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:13 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
My post deleted for "bickering back and forth?!?" Except that I made a cogent point, offered references and defended someone who was personally attacked. C'mon Nancy the Reader...get a grip! Personal attacks all over this thread you ignored. Enough of the selective censorship. The other "bickerer" is a big boy and we respect each other's opinions. That doesn't mean we have to pat each other on the fanny and hug. We're grown ups. I usually bite my tongue and respect moderator decisions, but this one is ridiculous and frankly, offensive.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
The Newsday article ommitted a number of very cogent facts. Termination pay includes none of the things you've cited. It is primarily a payout based upon the number of unused vacation days, comp time and sick leave an individual officer has accumulated throughout his 20 year (or more) career.

Under the last contract, the termination pay was capped at twice base salary.
It appears that they were confusing severance incentives with payment for sick, vacation, etc. in the article. I believe they raised the cap on sick leave, etc to 2.5X, nothinfg to do with salary.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:32 AM

84 posts, read 166,314 times
This is why unionized policing is such a bad idea. Do you really think some cop down in Tallahassee Florida is getting a retirement payout of twice his or her base salary plus benefits for the rest of their life?

And perhaps someone can tell me why the rank-and-file police officer has opted out of giving a property tax discount to disabled American veterans? The police headquarters issues the tax discount but the rank and file officer gives nothing to disabled vets. NOTHING! There are 100 percent disabled American Veterans out there who are on a fixed income and having a hard time paying their property taxes and the average cop doesn't want to give them a break on their county tax bill... But this is how union people think, it's all about THEM and not about YOU, and when the time comes for them to have some compassion on the less fortunate they do nothing for them.

Talk about a disgrace... Nassau County cops don't feel disabled veterans should recieve a dime from them! Water district employees, yes. Parks department employees, yes. Nassau County cops? NO! Someone explain to me how the highest paid county employees give nothing to our disabled veterans then call themselves "heroes"....

Old 02-24-2012, 06:47 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylander View Post
This is why unionized policing is such a bad idea. Do you really think some cop down in Tallahassee Florida is getting a retirement payout of twice his or her base salary plus benefits for the rest of their life?

And perhaps someone can tell me why the rank-and-file police officer has opted out of giving a property tax discount to disabled American veterans? The police headquarters issues the tax discount but the rank and file officer gives nothing to disabled vets. NOTHING! There are 100 percent disabled American Veterans out there who are on a fixed income and having a hard time paying their property taxes and the average cop doesn't want to give them a break on their county tax bill... But this is how union people think, it's all about THEM and not about YOU, and when the time comes for them to have some compassion on the less fortunate they do nothing for them.

Talk about a disgrace... Nassau County cops don't feel disabled veterans should recieve a dime from them! Water district employees, yes. Parks department employees, yes. Nassau County cops? NO! Someone explain to me how the highest paid county employees give nothing to our disabled veterans then call themselves "heroes"....
In all fairness, do you think the average cop on the street actually has anything to do with this policy? I'm sure the resident police supermen here would know more about this, but maybe the cops give to disabled veterans charities or something else that you aren't aware of.

While the police union is very selfish when it comes to sticking it to the Nassau taxpayer, I think your grievance may a little bit overblown in this case.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:38 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylander View Post

Agree on the huge payout but NCPD has absolutely nothing to do with denying Vets tax breaks, nor do unions. Actually you do get a discount on your Nassau County General Tax which pays for NCPD, just not on the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island