Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,572 times

Advertisements

there's always a handful of them in our town every summer...

the other end of our street always does one and we get invited because we're friends with a bunch of families from that part of the street, but it always seems to be the same time we go on vacation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:03 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary324 View Post
I am serious. Yes I am unable to walk to my house to unload my car. Why should I be inconvenienced when I do not agree to the party. Like I said you want to have a party go to a Catering Hall. No traffic and no people trespassing all over your property.
Sounds like you're in the market for a house with a moat.
Block parties are called BLOCK parties for a reason.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,482 times
The only time I had a problem with a block party was about a decade ago. We'd had a house fire and were getting rebuilt while living in one of those lovely 60 foot trailers on the front lawn (yes, this all matters...stick with me). Due to the size it overlapped onto about 1/2 my driveway.

Anyhoo, the street next to mine was having their block party and our street was again used for parking. I didn't care until twice I had to go into their party at different times with license plate numbers because on 2 different occassions during the party, the guests decided my 1/2 a driveway was an excellent place to park while I was out running errands.

Cool story, eh?

Old 02-24-2012, 02:15 PM

31 posts, read 88,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
The only time I had a problem with a block party was about a decade ago. We'd had a house fire and were getting rebuilt while living in one of those lovely 60 foot trailers on the front lawn (yes, this all matters...stick with me). Due to the size it overlapped onto about 1/2 my driveway.

Anyhoo, the street next to mine was having their block party and our street was again used for parking. I didn't care until twice I had to go into their party at different times with license plate numbers because on 2 different occassions during the party, the guests decided my 1/2 a driveway was an excellent place to park while I was out running errands.

Cool story, eh?

You should have petitioned the town in banning block parties. I would have.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Why? Because I was inconvenienced ONE evening ONE time in ONE year?

I'm sorry. The day I feel like imposing my will on others who aren't breaking the law is the day I can only hope someone will address my bloated sense of entitlement.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:21 PM

Yes thats why. If they do it once they will do it again. Better to stop them now then to deal with multiple times in the future.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,294 times
block parties are the cancer that is killing our once great county

Old 02-24-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Yes thats why. If they do it once they will do it again. Better to stop them now then to deal with multiple times in the future.

As I said, it was a decade ago and it has not been repeated. So, you would be incorrect.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
block parties are the cancer that is killing our once great county
Thank you. That is exactly how I feel.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:09 PM

9 posts, read 32,828 times
Quote:
Thank you. That is exactly how I feel.
Someone needs to loosen up a bit. Block parties are fantastic for kids and families. I think it's important to have them not only for the kids but it helps you get to know your neighbors better and builds a sense of trust and community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island