Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM

123 posts, read 138,604 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to LI from Boston and am trying to find an apartment/place to rent. I will be working in Garden City, but want to be able to get to NYC easily. I perfer living in a highrise apartment building, but those do not seem to exist on LI, at least in this area. I am also 24 yrs old, I'll be living with my buddy as well so we would need a two bedroom place. Looking to keep rent around $2500, but obviously lower is better. I want a good, safe area and want the apartment to at least be somewhat new, no basement or anything.

What are some areas that I should be looking for places to live?

I've been told RVC, Garden City itself, and Westbury. But the cheapest rent for any where is those for a nice 2 bedroom is around or over $3000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,294 times
honestly, LI is no good for a single 24 year old, you will mostly meet people your age who are still living with their parents. Move to brooklyn since the lire goes right to garden city from atlantic avenue. You will be happier.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Check out Mineola. Decent area, excellent bus service & LIRR. Walkable to Mineola LIRR and you could probably bus to work depending where you need to go.

Click "refresh" at the landing page
$2400 2Br
MLSLI.com

$2100 2BR
MLSLI.com

Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
honestly, LI is no good for a single 24 year old, you will mostly meet people your age who are still living with their parents. Move to brooklyn since the lire goes right to garden city from atlantic avenue. You will be happier.
I figured that, I don't really understand the Lire yet, but how long would it take. Being from Boston I love taking the subway, but I literally hate the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Check out Mineola. Decent area, excellent bus service & LIRR. Walkable to Mineola LIRR and you could probably bus to work depending where you need to go.
I'd keep my car where ever I do end up, until I promoted into the city within 2 years.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:45 PM

i would say it's about 40-45 minutes on the lirr from any of the garden city stops to brooklyn. garden city is beautiful and I live on long island now but I would not have been happy here at your age. I think you will meet more motivated young people in bklyn, queens, manhattan, etc. Long Beach is the only place I can imagine a young dude living here.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
i would say it's about 40-45 minutes on the lirr from any of the garden city stops to brooklyn. garden city is beautiful and I live on long island now but I would not have been happy here at your age. I think you will meet more motivated young people in bklyn, queens, manhattan, etc. Long Beach is the only place I can imagine a young dude living here.
I've come to terms that my social life is going to be miserable. I will be working in the Roosevelt Field mall if that is any help. I really just want a nice place to call home for a couple years. That I can walk my dog and be comfortable.

I plan on just going to the city on the weekends. Can't wait till my job moves there in 2 years.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 PM

in that case, mineola is a good suggestion actually. some bars, good restaurants and such.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
in that case, mineola is a good suggestion actually. some bars, good restaurants and such.
I'm not going to get shot from the people living in Hempstead? ahaha

Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM

no, hempstead is closer to garden city actually

Old 02-21-2012, 08:27 PM

57 posts, read 166,600 times
You should rent in a high-rise apt in Forest Hills, Queens and then drive to work. I think the commute from Forest Hills to the mall will be worth it for your social life to be much better as you'll be right on the subway in Forest Hills in a luxury high-rise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island