Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I am a huge advocate of Long Island statehood ... we should hold a referendum ASAP. I want Long Island to beat Puerto Rico to becoming the 51st state.
I'd be all for this. Collect our own state income taxes, sales & gas taxes, DMV.. NYS neglects most state roads anyway. We would become a huge swing state as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
Why do people waste there time with this BS? Do you think any one else in the rest of the country would want to see 2 more Northeastern Senators in Congress? That reason alone your living a pipe dream. There are about 500 other reasons why it would never happen.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 PM

75 posts, read 142,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
For that fact alone, LI statehood not only seems prudent, but likely.I'm absolutely certain Brooklyn and Queens would join as well.
While LI statehood seems quite far-fetched in my opinion this is even more unlikely. Brooklyn and Queens would not only need to secede from NY State but also from NY City. I doubt these boroughs want to loose the wealthy tax base of Manhattan (and even Staten Island) along with all the City services.

Theoretically, I could see the all of NYC + LI (and maybe Westchester) declaring statehood, but not just the geographical island!

Old 02-23-2012, 02:25 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead79 View Post
While LI statehood seems quite far-fetched in my opinion this is even more unlikely. Brooklyn and Queens would not only need to secede from NY State but also from NY City. I doubt these boroughs want to loose the wealthy tax base of Manhattan (and even Staten Island) along with all the City services.

Theoretically, I could see the all of NYC + LI (and maybe Westchester) declaring statehood, but not just the geographical island!
IMO I define Long Island statehood as Nassau and Suffolk alone. In fact, part of the reason why I favor statehood is to get away from NYC.

@ Dman, it is likely that a State of Long Island would be a swing state, it would not necessarily be solid blue Democrat ... especially if it were just Nassau and Suffolk.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:42 PM

57,242 posts, read 26,182,129 times
I don't think we need more taxing jurisdictions in the US let alone LI, not to mention the fact that those who work in NYC would now need to pay a separate state tax. Try to picture the new senators, governor, state police, DEC, comptroller all the state services paid by 2 counties, like they don't have enough trouble already. Maybe the new governor would be Mangano, Suozzi, be careful what you ask for... The last thing you want to do is divorce yourself fromone of the most prosperous cities in the US.

The downstate has never received it's share of revenue back because the upstate is not as affluent, would you rather they turn into a 3rd world state. NY State also is consistently a donor state when it comes to federal revenue to other states, that is good for the nation. Besides what where do you think that additional revenue would really go, do you trust our politicians.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Besides what where do you think that additional revenue would really go, do you trust our politicians.
Maybe back to reopening the Jones Beach Christmas light show?? And back to our schools where it belongs instead of nickel & diming LI school districts on aid. Maybe repave Sunrise hwy so it's not like you're driving through a war zone?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Maybe back to reopening the Jones Beach Christmas light show?? And back to our schools where it belongs instead of nickel & diming LI school districts on aid. Maybe repave Sunrise hwy so it's not like you're driving through a war zone?
Long Island tax money for Long Island! Think of how much we could do if we dident have to subsidize the rest of the state, especially upstate

Long Island aught to be run by Long Islanders, not politicians in Albany who mainly hail from NYC.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:43 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,876 times
Place is a mess as it is you want to make it a state? oh god (The condo state)

Old 02-24-2012, 11:50 AM

57,242 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Long Island tax money for Long Island! Think of how much we could do if we dident have to subsidize the rest of the state, especially upstate

Long Island aught to be run by Long Islanders, not politicians in Albany who mainly hail from NYC.
State Senators and congressmen from Long Island like Dean Skelos had as much to do with NY State in the last 30 years as anyone. Who do you think would be running our new state, the same people you have now.

If they wanted to do something positive they would combine Nassau and Suffolk into one county and get rid of the thousands of water districts, fire districts, villages, towns.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
State Senators and congressmen from Long Island like Dean Skelos had as much to do with NY State in the last 30 years as anyone. Who do you think would be running our new state, the same people you have now.

If they wanted to do something positive they would combine Nassau and Suffolk into one county and get rid of the thousands of water districts, fire districts, villages, towns.

The thing is, not all water districts, fire districts, villages and towns are run the same. There are fire districts that cost the taxpayer between a wide range of $100 to $2500. Same concept applies to villages, water districts and towns. Not all municipal entities are created or run equal. Do you know that in Syosset it costs something like $900 a year for their sanitation? Where in other districts it's as low as $15 to $500?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island