Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:43 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Ok since this is hard for everyone to understand....

You're basement is below grade, do you think you're going to dig a hole throw some wood staircase there and your done....

Didn't think about the concrete for the retaining wall to keep the dirt from coming back in the next time it rains...

Figuring it's usually about 1400 just for enough concrete to make a parking space i wouldn't think 5k is to high.

You need 3 walls technically and then the stairs
I believe you misread the OP's question. There is an outside egress ALREADY.
The question was about replacing a once existing and now removed set of stairs leading from the INSIDE to the basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 11:45 PM

54 posts, read 330,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I believe you misread the OP's question. There is an outside egress ALREADY.
The question was about replacing a once existing and now removed set of stairs leading from the INSIDE to the basement.
This.
We're talking about an internal stairway from the main floor into the basement. The stairs were there before; so the framing, walls, and basement door are still in place. What was the basement door that led downstairs, is now a coat closet. They just closed up the ceiling/floor.

Luckily, their attorney finally knocked some sense into them and they agreed to do it and put it into the contract! Logistically, if they didnt agree they would only be able to sell to a cash buyer. And this is a house that's been on the market for 2yrs and has been recently renovated so it is not a flip candidate... It was about time they got some counseling.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, crossing my fingers there's no more hurdles!!!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J1016 View Post
This.
We're talking about an internal stairway from the main floor into the basement. The stairs were there before; so the framing, walls, and basement door are still in place. What was the basement door that led downstairs, is now a coat closet. They just closed up the ceiling/floor.

Luckily, their attorney finally knocked some sense into them and they agreed to do it and put it into the contract! Logistically, if they didnt agree they would only be able to sell to a cash buyer. And this is a house that's been on the market for 2yrs and has been recently renovated so it is not a flip candidate... It was about time they got some counseling.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, crossing my fingers there's no more hurdles!!!
Congrats. Hopefully they won't put in steps that are not properly installed. I would ask them to do it sooner rather than later and I would hold off on the home inspection so the inspector could check it out for proper installation. Also, make it a point to tell the inspector about the steps. Who knows if they are going to use a professional or a handyman who may not know the intricacies of weight bearing walls and things of that nature. Stairs are not something to fool with.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 AM

54 posts, read 330,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Congrats. Hopefully they won't put in steps that are not properly installed. I would ask them to do it sooner rather than later and I would hold off on the home inspection so the inspector could check it out for proper installation. Also, make it a point to tell the inspector about the steps. Who knows if they are going to use a professional or a handyman who may not know the intricacies of weight bearing walls and things of that nature. Stairs are not something to fool with.
Home inspection already happened, first thing after accepting our offer (which was a few weeks ago at this point!)...
But I'm assuming if the bank appraiser requests the stairs they will want to re-inspect/appraise after the stairs are finished. And I'm pretty sure they require it be a licensed/bonded contractor to do all work during the mortgage process. Could be wrong... Anyone know for sure?
Wlll we have to pay twice for the appraisal?!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:01 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
I can't help on that one. I would ask my attorney about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island