Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:10 PM

95 posts, read 235,031 times

Advertisements

Thinking about purchasing my parents' house. It has a finished basement and converted garage. They also built a deck.

We have to go through the town and obtain C of O's for these things since they did not. Assuming all the work was done properly (I'm pretty sure it was), what's the process like of obtaining a CO? I am familiar with the normal process, but how do you go about doing this when all the work is already completed?

(eta... the basement is just finished for more space (playroom, etc). It's not an apartment. It has a half bath but we're planning on ripping it out and redoing it anyway.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 04:31 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
The converted garage will require as built plans. Everything will need to be to current code. You might need to look into egress issues -- the basement windows might not be to code. The deck -- did anyone take pictures during the construction process? The town might want to see the depth of the footings or tubes it rests on, the fasteners securing it to them, as well as the spacing and the framing/framing material.

Get the bathroom out BEFORE you start the process, get the pipes capped off, and if possible, make the bathroom look like a closet -- hang things, store boxes.

The process is pretty similar to opening a permit for work you're planning.

An inspector will be sent out, you might need electrical inspection for an underwriters certificate for the garage conversion and finished basement. Contact an electrical inspection service; they have an inspection they do post construction, so you don't have to rip out walls. Cross that bridge if/when you get to it.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The converted garage will require as built plans. Everything will need to be to current code. You might need to look into egress issues -- the basement windows might not be to code. The deck -- did anyone take pictures during the construction process? The town might want to see the depth of the footings or tubes it rests on, the fasteners securing it to them, as well as the spacing and the framing/framing material.

Get the bathroom out BEFORE you start the process, get the pipes capped off, and if possible, make the bathroom look like a closet -- hang things, store boxes.

The process is pretty similar to opening a permit for work you're planning.

An inspector will be sent out, you might need electrical inspection for an underwriters certificate for the garage conversion and finished basement. Contact an electrical inspection service; they have an inspection they do post construction, so you don't have to rip out walls. Cross that bridge if/when you get to it.
Thanks BIG help!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
You can get a co for the basement with the bathroom. We did it last year and the whole process was built before we bought the house. The bathroom needs a vent, if it does not have a window. There has to be two exits in the basement ; one being the stairs and the other towards the outdoors. If there is a bedroom, take off the door ; then its not a bedroom. If there is a kitechen area ; take out the stove and sink. then you can apply for the CO for the finished basement. You just have to file the paperwork, pay a fee,wait for the inspector (not a long wait) and he will check that everything is ok. If it is ok, then you will have your CO. Make sure you have enough smoke detectors and CO2 detectors ; and if you have a burner ; make sure to have a fireproof door around it and the ceiling ; that was the most $$ for us. Oh yes, after it is insepected, you also need an electrical cert. Its a little money, but worth it when it comes to selling it. Also the banks are extra fussy now, so its better to have it all properly. I learned the hard way.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
You can get a co for the basement with the bathroom. We did it last year and the whole process was built before we bought the house. The bathroom needs a vent, if it does not have a window. There has to be two exits in the basement ; one being the stairs and the other towards the outdoors. If there is a bedroom, take off the door ; then its not a bedroom. If there is a kitechen area ; take out the stove and sink. then you can apply for the CO for the finished basement. You just have to file the paperwork, pay a fee,wait for the inspector (not a long wait) and he will check that everything is ok. If it is ok, then you will have your CO. Make sure you have enough smoke detectors and CO2 detectors ; and if you have a burner ; make sure to have a fireproof door around it and the ceiling ; that was the most $$ for us. Oh yes, after it is insepected, you also need an electrical cert. Its a little money, but worth it when it comes to selling it. Also the banks are extra fussy now, so its better to have it all properly. I learned the hard way.
Dorothy, wow thanks for the info.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:47 AM

Smoke detectors need to be wired together -- if one goes off, they all go off. Sorry -- I forgot about that one.

Also, if there is a kitchen area -- hanging cabinets need to be removed as well. I had one client in the Town of Brookhaven who failed her final because (despite no stove or fridge) she had hanging cabinets and it was considered 'kitchen' space.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:08 AM

We had one client get hung up by that years ago -- despite the bedroom door being removed, the inspector saw it as a possible bedroom. # of bedrooms impacts the septic rating. If it's a 3 br house and the inspector 'sees' 4 -- there is the possibility that the Board of Health will get involved.

Chances are things will go smoothly like it did for okaydorothy, but there is the chance that you can end up in layers of building department muck.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:20 AM

One last thing -- during the past year, the Town has been looking for revenue wherever possible.

My friend's house was targeted because she had a shed too close to the side/rear lot line. She had to move it.

Next, they tried to increase her taxes citing she had a 2 family home. She is a single family, no apartment. For reasons no one can explain, on the previous owner's tax bill there was something about a 2 family collection. It was never caught when her spouse bought the house over 20 years ago. Neither her husband or her (after she moved in) ever sought a rental permit or sought a mother/daughter.

Her basement egress door was a full door to the exterior -- the Town claimed it was an apartment and she had to prove it wasn't by letting the inspector in. She had a den/rec room space, and a home office space for her husband's business (with desk, computers, phones, bookshelves and file cabinets) behind a door, and a bathroom (sink/lav/shower). They tagged the office as an additional bedroom, measured the height of her handrail on the inside stairs and made her move it up 2". There was something with the bathroom which I can't recall, but it was more nuisance than anything. The exterior railing around the egress door had to be removed and new railing put up. There wasn't a smoke detector down there, so next she had to get an electrician in to install a smoke detector and wire all the household smoke detectors together.

Every time she turned around, it was something else.

The moral to my story -- make sure everything else is 100% correct before letting the Town onto your property.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
One last thing -- during the past year, the Town has been looking for revenue wherever possible.

My friend's house was targeted because she had a shed too close to the side/rear lot line. She had to move it.

Next, they tried to increase her taxes citing she had a 2 family home. She is a single family, no apartment. For reasons no one can explain, on the previous owner's tax bill there was something about a 2 family collection. It was never caught when her spouse bought the house over 20 years ago. Neither her husband or her (after she moved in) ever sought a rental permit or sought a mother/daughter.

Her basement egress door was a full door to the exterior -- the Town claimed it was an apartment and she had to prove it wasn't by letting the inspector in. She had a den/rec room space, and a home office space for her husband's business (with desk, computers, phones, bookshelves and file cabinets) behind a door, and a bathroom (sink/lav/shower). They tagged the office as an additional bedroom, measured the height of her handrail on the inside stairs and made her move it up 2". There was something with the bathroom which I can't recall, but it was more nuisance than anything. The exterior railing around the egress door had to be removed and new railing put up. There wasn't a smoke detector down there, so next she had to get an electrician in to install a smoke detector and wire all the household smoke detectors together.

Every time she turned around, it was something else.

The moral to my story -- make sure everything else is 100% correct before letting the Town onto your property.
Thanks, you have been seriously helpful. I'm sure it's going to be a headache (with the Town of Brookhaven, what isn't?) but it's really my parents' fault for not doing things the right way. The house means enough to me for me to go nutty fixing everything though.

I'm taking notes on all of this by the way, and will make sure everything is 100% before having anyone come inspect.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
Also if you are going for a FHA mortgage, they are very fussy. Our buyers in one house are going that route. This weekend we had to put up a railing on the steps going into the basement even though there is a bilco door there ; it actually seems less safe now, than last week.

I agree with the smoke detectors. I dont know where you are in Brookhaven, but the inspector that we had was brilliant. He was so so sweet and completely understanding. Now dont get me started one other guy ; beware of him and his attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island