Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:03 AM

140 posts, read 214,393 times

Advertisements

McMahon: Nassau's wildly lavish police pay

I read this article on newsday and I think they should look at teachers pay to. yes, the cops make very good money, much more then I make today ($55k) that's why I'm trying right now for it....but its harder to become a cop on long island. u have to go against 40000 other test takers. then if u get lucky they call u and have to pass another series of tests. I took the suffolk test last year and hoping to get called but there was so many people taking it I don't like my odds. Teachers only go against maybe 5 other if theyre unlucky. cops go against so many more so the article should focus on that.

bottom line is they make great money but so do teachers. The teachers in syosset made half a million I read. That makes our taxes go up more. The police part of the taxes is only 9% of the bill. Do you see what I'm saying? Do you agree with me or the article? I thougjt someone should point this out to taxpayers because people are blaming the wrong union.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:49 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,373 times
I think teachers and cops deserve there money. We can't keep having rich people screw private sector workers, only to have them point to the people making more.

How much money to people on Wall Street make? How easy is it to get one of their jobs? I know from experience that business students aren't your brightest, which explains a LOT. These people should be paid less than Nassau cops. And people on Wall Street never produce a thing.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:54 AM

886 posts, read 2,646,880 times
qoute{Teachers only go against maybe 5 other if theyre unlucky. cops go against so many more so the article should focus on that.}quote

Boy are you in the dark. There are thousands of kids trying to get teaching positions and so few available jobs.I don't read these articles anymore as they serve no purpose.It would be like complaining about police and firemen being able to retire at age 43 after 20 years at 50% pay. What good does it do?

Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 AM

654 posts, read 2,120,315 times
Default Teachers

I interviewed in the Hewlett-Woodmere SD years ago and there were over 1,200 apps. for that one position. I was lucky to even be called.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 AM

155 posts, read 426,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I think teachers and cops deserve there money. We can't keep having rich people screw private sector workers, only to have them point to the people making more.

How much money to people on Wall Street make? How easy is it to get one of their jobs? I know from experience that business students aren't your brightest, which explains a LOT. These people should be paid less than Nassau cops. And people on Wall Street never produce a thing.

People who work on Wall Street arent paid directly by taxpayers through property taxes like teachers and cops are. You don't like Wall St. people, you don't have to pay their salaries. If you pay property tax on LI, you are paying for the salaries of cops and teachers.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,140 times
Easy way to save money on police and teacher salaries: Arm the teachers.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo631 View Post
McMahon: Nassau's wildly lavish police pay

I read this article on newsday and I think they should look at teachers pay to. yes, the cops make very good money, much more then I make today ($55k) that's why I'm trying right now for it....but its harder to become a cop on long island. u have to go against 40000 other test takers. then if u get lucky they call u and have to pass another series of tests. I took the suffolk test last year and hoping to get called but there was so many people taking it I don't like my odds. Teachers only go against maybe 5 other if theyre unlucky. cops go against so many more so the article should focus on that.

bottom line is they make great money but so do teachers. The teachers in syosset made half a million I read. That makes our taxes go up more. The police part of the taxes is only 9% of the bill. Do you see what I'm saying? Do you agree with me or the article? I thougjt someone should point this out to taxpayers because people are blaming the wrong union.
There are so many factual errors in this post, I don't even know where to begin.

There is no teacher in Syosset making a half a million. Those are administrators.

The reason that you have to go up against so many other people to get on NC and SC PD is because of the common knowledge that Nassau police jobs are the best paying and most secure jobs you can get with a very minor amount of education. That's why 40K people apply. Despite the inherent danger of being a cop, there are 40K people who are willing to pay $100 at a chance to grab a few spots. That alone belies how wildly overcompensated the police are. It's not the reverse, as you seem to think.

In order to get a teaching job, you need to have a 4 year degree, wade through thousands of other applicants, go through multiple interviews including presenting lessons to board members and administrators. After you do get the job, the initial pay is not great, and you have to get a masters degree on your own dime. And of course as we all know, the vast majority of teaching jobs are reserved for the relatives and friends of board members and administrators, so good luck if you don't have a connection. It took my wife 5 years of subbing and doing leave replacements to finally get a full time job..and she only got it because the principal at one school referred her to the principal of another, because she knew this kid was too good not to have a job. Meanwhile, there were 22 year olds fresh out of college with no experience getting hired because they had connections.

However, as with the police, a lot of people want to get these jobs because the end result is a secure, well paying job with a great pension, so they'll keep trying.

The bottom line is that both fields are getting paid too much on taxpayers dime. In my opinion, they both need to have their overall comp reduced by about 15-20% across the board. And I'm married to a teacher.

The taxpayer can't let fear mongering by the public unions deter them from what needs to happen.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,176 times
I personally don't have a problem with paying decent wages to police OR teachers. In the majority of the cases, these individuals provide a public service (at public expense) of a role I personally wouldn't - or more aptly COULDN'T - do. People who have a gift for teaching, who love their profession, who enjoy interacting with kids and seeing them succeed SHOULD receive a good wage. The same for the cop who goes out of his/her way to ensure public safety and is able to convey the belief that because he/she is out there, we are all safer in our homes and neighborhoods.

What taxpayers DO object to, however, are the abundance of mid to high level management all earning salaries and pensions that most of us just cannot wrap our heads around. We are given no logical explanations as to how many school superintendents are actually required and what precisely they do. How many of their roles overlap? How many support staff to aid these people? Further, when a teacher is found to be lacking in either control of their classroom, or having the correct skill set, or allowing kids to simply pass grades - these teachers are not immediately fired - as they would be in the private sector for poor performance. Instead, they are placed in the infamous rubber rooms where we continue to pay their salary and pension benefits. It's frustrating as a taxpayer to have a union protect these type of employees and expect us to continue to pay the cost.

As for the police - again - there is not much to beef about regarding the normal beat cops. What taxpayers get angry about are the number of politically placed, high paying jobs being handed out without the public's approval. How many assistant commissioners do we need? How much staff do they require? Personally, I would prefer that the salaries for these politically placed positions be thrown back at the normal beat cop in terms of improved training and equipment.

Unfortunately, so much of the ire at what taxpayers are required to pay is directed at teachers and cops - when in reality, our anger and frustration is really directed at the unions that these teachers and cops are members of. And for the record, I was fed, housed, clothed and educated by two Teamster parents. I have never in my life crossed a picket line (it's just in-bred). But the original founders of the worker's unions in this country would be spinning in their graves if they saw what a corrupt gravy train unions have now become. What a shame. What a perfect example of sheer human greed getting in the way of a wonderful ideal and marring its reputation and purpose for generations to come.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
:beatsdeadhorseagain:

Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,373 times
Default You are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyQueens View Post
People who work on Wall Street arent paid directly by taxpayers through property taxes like teachers and cops are. You don't like Wall St. people, you don't have to pay their salaries. If you pay property tax on LI, you are paying for the salaries of cops and teachers.
First, my tax dollars bailed them all out. They held the well-being of my economy ransom until the feds gave them trillions. Your memory is very short. Then, they acted offended when the Obama administration wanted to put limits on the compensation of CEOs who ran their investment firms into the ground.

Second, the system is rigged so that it grinds to a halt unless Wall Street gets what it wants. It may not be able to directly tax me, but it takes a cut of everything I earn.

Third, Wall Street is finding to allow people to convert SS contributions to private securities investments. They, of course, would get paid for this. As such, they would be converting money sent to the government to money paying for their yachts.

Stop being fooled. No teacher did any of this to me. And at least I get something out of their service. See if a worthless market analyst would be willing to save your baby if your house burned down. They were to busy writing small print into your home insurance policy to make sure you don't get to have your house rebuilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island