Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fareela View Post
my husband and i recently went to see this same exact house. it's gorgeous - huge, built well, etc. BUT we have the EXACT same concern this person has. how is north amityville? We drove around and some parts look run down. it is up and coming or still run down? Someone living near route 110 in Farmingdale said Amityville is actually ok...so not quite sure what to make of it. Btw, we are moving with a 6 month old and looking to settle for a while with our growing family.
The house is nice for under $400k. I'd suggest Dm'ing LongIslandPerson, he knows all parts of North Amityville quite well. I believe he mentioned the area by the pool as being OK. Your biggest concern should be the School District and crime in the area. The SD may have improved slightly in recent years from worst to bad, but it's far from acceptable IMO.
N. Amityville may somewhat improve after the trailer park on 110 is transformed to apartments/retail center. I'd still be cautious though and make sure you really like the area before buying there.

edit: Nevermind the house for under $400k reference.. the new house I saw in that same vicinity is not 3500 sq ft. Wrong house. Are you and OP referring to the one on Brown ave?

Last edited by Pequaman; 04-03-2012 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 02:06 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,709 times
Quote:
my husband and i recently went to see this same exact house. it's gorgeous - huge, built well, etc. BUT we have the EXACT same concern this person has. how is north amityville? We drove around and some parts look run down. it is up and coming or still run down? Someone living near route 110 in Farmingdale said Amityville is actually ok...so not quite sure what to make of it. Btw, we are moving with a 6 month old and looking to settle for a while with our growing family.
Don't walk, run elsewhere.

You're just crazy to spend $500K, $13K taxes, on a house that you even have 1 doubt about it, the SD, or the area.

Just ask Pequa above----go just west to Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh through Merrick. Good trains, good SD, good access to beaches, good resale, quiet, what else do you want.

$500K, $10K taxes, can give you a good choice of homes in these areas right now.

Last edited by gag; 04-03-2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 02:34 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times
In terms of quality of life and safety: Northside is a safer part of North Amityville since it has good a neighborhood watch program; "Northside" is the area north of the Town pool but many blocks have a number of unappealing houses. The parts not too far south of the N.Amityville town pool are very nice, this is where they're building that new large luxury subdivision where the Original Poster probably is/was considering. The area east of Rt. 110, west of Great Neck Rd and north of Jefferson ave is okay, but not as good as the areas south of the town pool. The 40's streets can be iffy, I would judge on a block by block basis; the same goes for the areas west of Rt.110. I would not recommend the E. Smith Street area and the Emerald/Somerset Rd area.

In terms of Investment potential: I truly do believe it is an "up and coming" area. They are demolishing the trailer parks which will positively affect desirability of N.Amityville since trailer parks are an eyesore. I wouldn't worry that much about resale value since as the Recession progresses, more professionals will be seeking homes in more affordable areas such as N.Amityville. Plus, N.Amityville is in a VERY convenient area so it will always be attractive to many; it's close to Melville/Farmingdale business district;it's the closest you'll get to NYC on LI without paying Nassau County taxes!!; close to parkway; close to ALOT of shopping, etc.

In terms of schools: Amityville school district and Copiague school district serve N.Amityville but neither of them are good. There is a tiny chunk of N.Amityville that is served by Farmingdale school district which is an acceptably-performing district. Amityville schools have been improving in recent years but not to the point of it being up to most parent's standards. If not then send your kids off to private school when they are of age; there are many amazing private schools on the island.

Additional: There are definitely better areas on Long Island but I think N.Amityville could be a very good buy if you buy in the right area and plan on sending your kids to private school.

Good luck.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 04-03-2012 at 02:58 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 07:36 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Don't walk, run elsewhere.

You're just crazy to spend $500K, $13K taxes, on a house that you even have 1 doubt about it, the SD, or the area.

Just ask Pequa above----go just west to Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh through Merrick. Good trains, good SD, good access to beaches, good resale, quiet, what else do you want.

$500K, $10K taxes, can give you a good choice of homes in these areas right now.
+1, not to mention those homes are not far from the 40's which are full of gang activity

Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
In terms of quality of life and safety: Northside is a safer part of North Amityville since it has good a neighborhood watch program; "Northside" is the area north of the Town pool but many blocks have a number of unappealing houses. The parts not too far south of the N.Amityville town pool are very nice, this is where they're building that new large luxury subdivision where the Original Poster probably is/was considering. The area east of Rt. 110, west of Great Neck Rd and north of Jefferson ave is okay, but not as good as the areas south of the town pool. The 40's streets can be iffy, I would judge on a block by block basis; the same goes for the areas west of Rt.110. I would not recommend the E. Smith Street area and the Emerald/Somerset Rd area.

In terms of Investment potential: I truly do believe it is an "up and coming" area. They are demolishing the trailer parks which will positively affect desirability of N.Amityville since trailer parks are an eyesore. I wouldn't worry that much about resale value since as the Recession progresses, more professionals will be seeking homes in more affordable areas such as N.Amityville. Plus, N.Amityville is in a VERY convenient area so it will always be attractive to many; it's close to Melville/Farmingdale business district;it's the closest you'll get to NYC on LI without paying Nassau County taxes!!; close to parkway; close to ALOT of shopping, etc.

In terms of schools: Amityville school district and Copiague school district serve N.Amityville but neither of them are good. There is a tiny chunk of N.Amityville that is served by Farmingdale school district which is an acceptably-performing district. Amityville schools have been improving in recent years but not to the point of it being up to most parent's standards. If not then send your kids off to private school when they are of age; there are many amazing private schools on the island.

Additional: There are definitely better areas on Long Island but I think N.Amityville could be a very good buy if you buy in the right area and plan on sending your kids to private school.

Good luck.
I don't really disagree with any of this overall but I can't see "young professionals" flocking there anytime soon when you have nearby areas like Lindenhurst and West Babylon that are much safer, have much better schools, and have tons of affordable inventory on the market.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:14 PM
gag

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
SD is very very important to value, and not too many want to pay taxes and pay again for private school. I think the only people who should buy there are those that are happy with the schools improving and feel comfortable living in that area.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:17 PM
gag

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I don't really disagree with any of this overall but I can't see "young professionals" flocking there anytime soon when you have nearby areas like Lindenhurst and West Babylon that are much safer, have much better schools, and have tons of affordable inventory on the market.
Exactly, lots of houses to choose from now.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:26 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
True, but i'm saying that affordable areas across the board will likely have an increase in prospective buyers in coming years. Since far less people will get involved in massive mortgage loans that they can't afford and will make a huge effort to live well within their financial means. If you really wanna think long-term, the United States divorce rate is increasing by the year so as more households become lead by one member, there will be an increase in demand for lower cost housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
SD is very very important to value, and not too many want to pay taxes and pay again for private school. I think the only people who should buy there are those that are happy with the schools improving and feel comfortable living in that area.
Agreed. But like I said there is a portion of N. Amity served by Farmingdale SD, which is decent-performing. As for the areas (majority) served by the poorer-performing districts, they are likely to be priced at a huge discount; even far lower than the affordable prices of Lindy, WB and Deer Park. So you may actually save enough in terms of Down Payment and Mortgage Payments to finance Private School and make it a real economical decision.

Here is a good example. This 5 bdr house in decent condition is only selling for $115k;
Real Estate for sale near North Amityville, New York, NY

Something like this would EASILY approach $800k if it was a few miles west;
Real Estate for sale near North Amityville, New York, NY

You WILL NOT find anything comparable for that price in Lindy, WB, DP or FD. With the steep discount in price, you have a lot of saved money for personal expenses such as private school, college fund savings, home renovations, etc, etc.

My point was that, depending on the circumstances, North Amityville could be a reasonable investment. If you're looking for an area with blue-ribbon schools, a near-perfect area, an area with a nice downtown then you should definitely look elsewhere.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 04-04-2012 at 05:14 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 06:49 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Quote:

Wow, that's amazing because my husband and I looked at this house too.
We have the EXACT concerns as you and your husband and the OP and the OP's husband regarding the neighborhood.
My husband and I have a friend whos husband said to avoid the area (He had heard this from a friends husband)
Even more amazing, my husband and I have a 6 month old and are concerned, as surely you and your husnband and the OP and the OP's husband are about the school district.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:34 PM

39 posts, read 123,796 times
My Wife and I were - - this close to buying one of the homes on brown ave last Fall. We had gotten them all the way down to 490 on one of those home as they were not selling well at all. The area like you said really looked nice and quiet but drive a few blocks and it was a different story. We also passed by the Pool located near by during the summer and lets just say I felt like I was back in brooklyn ny during my younger years.

We decided to pass on the home for a few reasons.

1. 13000 plus taxes easily can add over 1k to your mortgage cost of home
2. The school district was not so great so we would have probably ended up sending kids (We have twins and a 3 year old) to private school so add XXXXXX more dollars to cost for schooling.
3. The commute into the city where my wife and I work was longer then we were willing to travel.
4. We could not find any hard data or signs that the area was up and coming or going down for that matter. Too much unknown for us to be comfortable with the cost of home and area.

In the End we settled on a newly constructed home from the ground up with a basement in Levittown Island Tree's school district. The taxes are much less 11,500, the public schools is good so we won't have to double dip, and we are surrounded by great shopping and all the conviences of the city.

Now I have to be honest and say the home in Amytiville was much nicer, larger (Our home is 1996sq feet vs 3300) and looked to be built top notch. And I was pushing for it. My, wife was the voice of reason in the end and we went with levittown after much debating.

You really have to sit down and ask yourself are you ready for that additional financial burden a home like that, at that price, in that area will be and in the end will your familiy be better off from it or would you be better served living somewhere else.

I will be the first to tell you I was all caught up in the dreams of grander having a home that size would be. But in the end even with the home we have now purchasing a new home can be very stressful and at time you may secound guess some of your decissions. I see no reason to add to the list of things you might worry about after you buy a home.

I would look elsewhere unless you were financially stable enough to take those chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island