Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times

Advertisements

LIPA has changed the URL for its Long Island Population Survey page, and it now can be accessed by going to Long Island Population Survey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 PM

31 posts, read 56,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I've been working on mapping out every single city, village, hamlet, CDP and even some neighborhoods that aren't on the census in Wikimapia. I'm done with Nassau County and almost done with western Suffolk...I threw in the Rockaway Peninsula for good measure too since it used to be Nassau County.

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

When this is done (if it ever is!), every area will have pictures and a brief description/history....might take a few years though Zoom in/out to see more detailed areas, lemme know if I'm missing anything too!
Sorry to bump an old thread (well actually I'm not sorry at all, but I'll say that I am so that the administrators get less mad at me), but that's a really cool idea! One problem, though: when I highlight the area of Smithtown that I live in, the entire town of Smithtown gets highlighted, not just the hamlet of Smithtown. And when you highlight the hamlet of Smithtown, the area where I live doesn't get highlighted (yes, now all of you creeps can find out where I live).

Old 04-07-2016, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,380 times
Default So want Oceanside to break free

I so want hamlet of Oceanside to break free of the overbearing reigns of Hemstead town. I would like to incorporate so that we can:

1) Manage our delivery of communications via Cablevision and Verizon et al as does Lynbrook who negotiated beautiful studios for their own use, which is why there are always many TV shows on the municipal cable channels from Lynbrook.

2) Negotiate a better return on the methane produced from the Oceanside dump which Hempstead basically gives away to LIPA/National Grid/LILCO/Whoever. Very much under market give away. We can use said methane to produce our OWN electricty ala RVC and Freeport.

3) Get out from under the onerous Special Fire District and Special Sanitary District which truly are scourges on the area in that they operate as fiefdoms, having their shams of elections at odd hours on odd days to keep the turnout low. Typically a few hundred people show up for these sham elections and the overwhelming vast majority of the people are connected to the office holders. TERRIBLE way to run government services. If they had their elections on ELECTION DAY, we would truly see a totally different running entities, than these reigns of terror, especially the Sanitation district. OMG. Sandy was a total disaster. I had Cablevison at my door 10 days after Sandy and literally the garbage trucks came rolling down the street as the cameras rolled, and I literally was on camera helping throwing crap from the 5foot berms in front of our homes into the garbage trucks. It was if they followed this news crew around to show they were doing something. Will never forgive.

4) Negotiate for other snow removal services than that which we have now which is NOT from the sanitation district but conveniently from the Town, which supplements its OT snow removal budget by having an extremely over priced snow removal charge to help defray their overall Town snow removal costs. And we end up waiting days for plowing, or get short shrifted on plowing.

5) Police can be left alone and contracted with the County, even though we do not have a house within Oceanside and rely on calls to #4 in Hewlett and #1 in Baldwin. But, whatever, that is a much bigger tax nut to take on.

We have a large commercial tax base with Kohls/Staples etc, etc. and soon BJ's in oil city at the end of Lawson Blvd. Plus whatever subsidy was provided for the dump. Why do we have to live like peasants answering to idiots like Anthony Santino?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island