Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 8,273 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, first off, posts on this forum are great! A wealth of information out there and I thank you all for that.

Here's our situation, married couple, from Northern India, late 20s, our daughter is 18 months and we're moving next month from Madison, WI to LI to take up a new position in Melville.

Initially we're looking to rent (2 bedrooms and our budget is around $2500/mth)

Our wishlist is an area with lots of young families, close proximity (driving wise) to shopping areas, and walking distance from streets where you find plenty of restaurants, coffee shops, and most importantly, people after 6 or 7pm (we've lived in Dubai, Montreal, Los Angeles so used to lots of people). Commute wise, willing to do 30-45 minutes driving to/from Melville for the right place!

Any help would be appreciated!

The only place that we've read about that have a decent sized Indian population is Hicksville, wondering if there are others that fit the bill as well.

Last edited by mmalhotra; 03-07-2012 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: adding more information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:21 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Welcome to the boards, mmalhotra. You have the correct info about Hicksville. It has largely become The place to live for all things "India". There are indian markets, hair salons, clothing stores, banks and restaurants all catering to the indian population.
Another popular area is New Hyde Park although it pales in comparison to Hicksville in terms of the strong commercial presence. NHP is not without some of the above but again as stated Hicksville seems to have it all. I am not Indian but travel to Hicksville frequently and I have to agree that you have read excellent information on the town. Good luck with the move.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Some 25 or so years ago, I knew someone from Wisconsin who relocated to the NYC area and arrived with their refrigerator and stove not realizing that in the NYC area, the landlord supplies these things unlike in Wisconsin, where, apparently, the tenant supplied these things.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 8,273 times
Pretty random information Walter but thanks anyways

Definitely not planning on bringing a fridge and a stove...

Are there busy streets in Hicksville where you find people walking around and taking in the evening scene? Or is it very commercial and malls/major stores only?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmalhotra View Post

Are there busy streets in Hicksville where you find people walking around and taking in the evening scene? Or is it very commercial and malls/major stores only?
I believe Huntington would have more of what you're looking for in terms of walking around "town".
Or if you want to go further West, New Hyde Park, especially the Village...

Old 03-08-2012, 01:35 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,209 times
Quote:
Hi everyone, first off, posts on this forum are great! A wealth of information out there and I thank you all for that.

Here's our situation, married couple, from Northern India, late 20s, our daughter is 18 months and we're moving next month from Madison, WI to LI to take up a new position in Melville.

Our wishlist is an area with lots of young families, close proximity (driving wise) to shopping areas, and walking distance from streets where you find plenty of restaurants, coffee shops, and most importantly, people after 6 or 7pm (we've lived in Dubai, Montreal, Los Angeles so used to lots of people). Commute wise, willing to do 30-45 minutes driving to/from Melville for the right place!

The only place that we've read about that have a decent sized Indian population is Hicksville, wondering if there are others that fit the bill as well.
Do you really need an area rich with Indians? Coming from a place as liberal and diverse as Madison, just relax and enjoy eachother,and you'll be accepted anywhere here. A place like Huntington Elke added, and I would say Babylon village also has more what you're looking for than Hicksville. Babylon has a great easy train to NYC, and is about that driving distance 109 to 110 up to Melville. Check the areas for yourself, and you can easily just go to Hicksville when you want. It's really just another bland middle class suburban hamlet on LI. The others have nice walkable downtowns, Hicksville doesn't compare IMO.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:52 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:

Huntington, Melville (why not, you work there) Northport. ALL nice towns close by.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I agree with Huntington. I grew up there and actually knew someone with your name

Hicksville is very commercial. Nothing quaint about it. You'll find more of the "strolling" type atmosphere in HUntington and it's convenient to Melville.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:

I now live in PA but I'm originally from Long Island.

There are many Indians in Hicksville, but somehow I am not sure you would like it. You know those stereotypes about Long Island - flat, many malls, no community, streets filled with identical homes? Well that's Hicksville.
I can understand wanting to have an Indian community nearby, and not to want to be a total minority, but from what I know; there is very little interaction between the Indian community, and the "Old School Hicksville" community. It is also not a young community, Indian or non Indian.

It is congested, bad traffic and kind of unattractive.

Here are some other options, Syosett - great schools and diverse, including Asians of all sorts. Close enough to Hicksville if you want to shop for Indian specialties also.

Stony Brook Setauket East Setauket - Home of a large, well regarded branch of The State University of NY (Stony Brook University) excellent university medical center, great schools, library, shopping. Many young couples with young children. The University and Medical Center draws smart people from around the world. There are two Indian Restaurants there and supermarkets (especially Waldbaum's on 347 carry Indian Foods.

In both areas, pre-schools abound. In Stony Brook, the presence of the large university affords cultural events, independent and foreign films and not for credit classes.

The Stony Brook area is known for acceptance and diversity. Since we have an Asian daughter, we enjoyed living there for seven years, before we left for PA. It was a good choice.
Best of luck!.

Stony Brook, Setauket, East Setauket - Also

Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
Quote:

To answer your question, No. There is no real walking done in hicksville, you drive to Target, drive to Chipotle, and drive home.
I wouldn't live there. And especially since you're working in Melville, Hicksville is close enough to take are of any ethnic needs after work.

depending on how "city" you want to be, I'd go west towards NYC (Mineola, Floral Park, etc) or east like others have mentioned.

Babylon Village get my vote. Cafes, bars/restaurants, take-out, gym, dry cleaning, train station, parks, all within wakling distance. However, there are no indian restaurants. Closest Indian is Deer Park, you don't want to live there. There are 4 sushi places in Babylon, if you're into that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island