Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 11,649 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a house in zip 11590 and looking to make a few improvements. Below is a list of items i'm looking to upgrade and wondering if the town requires permits. I will be doing some work myself and some will be done by contractors. I have been reading other forums about permits and most people say to keep hush about them but i do not want problems when it comes to selling down the road. Any comments will help.

1. New siding and roof.
2. Changing single back door to slider.
3. Kitchen upgrade. Plumbing and electrical will be shifted around.
4. Removing interior walls to open up space. One wall possibly load-bearing.
5. Changing windows on first floor. One will need a bigger opening.
6. Dumpster on property.

Also what could potentially be the fines if permits are not filed?

--Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 08:50 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,771 times
You're in the Town of North Hempstead, and may be in the Village of Westbury.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,996,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3Wirenut View Post
I recently bought a house in zip 11590 and looking to make a few improvements. Below is a list of items i'm looking to upgrade and wondering if the town requires permits. I will be doing some work myself and some will be done by contractors. I have been reading other forums about permits and most people say to keep hush about them but i do not want problems when it comes to selling down the road. Any comments will help.

1. New siding and roof.
2. Changing single back door to slider.
3. Kitchen upgrade. Plumbing and electrical will be shifted around.
4. Removing interior walls to open up space. One wall possibly load-bearing.
5. Changing windows on first floor. One will need a bigger opening.
6. Dumpster on property.

Also what could potentially be the fines if permits are not filed?

--Thanks
Permit necessary Y/N to the best of my knowledge:

1. New siding and roof. No permit needed if direct replacement.
2. Changing single back door to slider. Not really as the town doesn't have a record of the door and it doesn't require a CO.
3. Kitchen upgrade. Plumbing and electrical will be shifted around. Definite YES if relocating plumbing/electrical. Permits required for all three (building, plumbing, elec).
4. Removing interior walls to open up space. One wall possibly load-bearing. Likely YES as it will effect electrical and if any room becomes classified a bedroom it will have requirements for smoke alarm. Work could be done without permit but if the town sees the dumpster or anyone complains, they will come snooping.
5. Changing windows on first floor. One will need a bigger opening. Not necessarily. They usually have no record of windows.
6. Dumpster on property. In driveway, NO. On street YES. Dumpster rental co. will charge a few extra bucks for the permit if the dumpster has to be on the street. Not a big deal. No need to deal with the town for this one.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:59 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,958 times
Changing the back door to a slider definitely requires a permit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Permit necessary Y/N to the best of my knowledge:

1. New siding and roof. No permit needed if direct replacement.
2. Changing single back door to slider. Not really as the town doesn't have a record of the door and it doesn't require a CO.
3. Kitchen upgrade. Plumbing and electrical will be shifted around. Definite YES if relocating plumbing/electrical. Permits required for all three (building, plumbing, elec).
4. Removing interior walls to open up space. One wall possibly load-bearing. Likely YES as it will effect electrical and if any room becomes classified a bedroom it will have requirements for smoke alarm. Work could be done without permit but if the town sees the dumpster or anyone complains, they will come snooping.
5. Changing windows on first floor. One will need a bigger opening. Not necessarily. They usually have no record of windows.
6. Dumpster on property. In driveway, NO. On street YES. Dumpster rental co. will charge a few extra bucks for the permit if the dumpster has to be on the street. Not a big deal. No need to deal with the town for this one.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Changing the back door to a slider definitely requires a permit.
Really? Why? Very little about doors at all in building zone ordinance. It is not on the survey. Unless it affects electrical or plumbing (might if you have baseboard heat), where does the code say it needs a permit? I'm just curious. I don't see it in the ordinance at all.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:10 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,958 times
Can't tell you why. Maybe the structural issue of open a much bigger hole? I had to get a non-confirming CO to do work on my house. I needed permits for fence , shed and the slider in order to complete it.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,463 times
A larger opening for a door or window requires structural changes. You need to install a bigger header.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:38 AM

78 posts, read 234,986 times
And most of all, remember that the permit nazi's are not looking after your safety and well being, they are after your money.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:53 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,446 times
There is the question of do you have to get permits, or should you get permits....

1- Roof/siding, I don't know if its required, I don't know anyone who gets permits for this
2-its most likely required, you changing a structural element and therefore they probably require one.
3-again, required, plumbing and electrial changes
4-any layout changes they want you to update the plans, and doublely so if structural.
5-bigger opening--- again structural probably permit required.
6-in driveway its not reqired, don't know streetwise....

if I were doing it 100% myself, I probably would skip permits on all of the above. If I'm hiring a contractor and I don't know 100% what I'm doing, I'd consider getting permits when I did the structural changes. probably can all be wrapped into 1 permit, plus the plumbing electiral add ons

Old 03-12-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Can't tell you why. Maybe the structural issue of open a much bigger hole? I had to get a non-confirming CO to do work on my house. I needed permits for fence , shed and the slider in order to complete it.
Ah, another survivor of the TOH Bldg dept. Not surprised about the slider thing at all. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island