Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:57 AM

198 posts, read 779,490 times

Advertisements

Basically I am wondering if it's possible to apply to a school district for attendance while living outside the district. Maybe a few seats are reserved on lottery basis or tuition basis etc?

In specific I am curious about bay port blue point. But also in general does LI have this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 02:57 AM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
Never heard of such a thing.Private schools yes but not public because to expect taxpayers to pay for transportation of an out of district student is unfair.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:50 AM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
Basically I am wondering if it's possible to apply to a school district for attendance while living outside the district. Maybe a few seats are reserved on lottery basis or tuition basis etc?

In specific I am curious about bay port blue point. But also in general does LI have this?
Not widespread and not cheap but it does happen.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:21 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Not that I heard of. But some of the parochial schools have a program that you can apply to called Tomorrows Hope which helps with tuition based on your tax information. I dont know anything else about it.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:12 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Yes, like pp said it's not common at all and it's very expensive (like over $10K a year expensive I'm sure). I grew up in Huntington and one of my classmates ended up going to Cold Spring Harbor. He was having a ton of trouble in Huntington schools and happened to live literally like 10 houses from the school district border.

Most school districts aren't looking for people to come join them, it's too hard to calculate their needs from year to year if they make it easy so they make it way more than private school would cost. Also, no transportation provided and all your kids' schoolmates won't leave nearby and unlike sending your kids to private school, their parents won't care to drive them to you for get togethers and school projects.

No lottery or application process.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:34 AM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes, like pp said it's not common at all and it's very expensive (like over $10K a year expensive I'm sure). I grew up in Huntington and one of my classmates ended up going to Cold Spring Harbor. He was having a ton of trouble in Huntington schools and happened to live literally like 10 houses from the school district border.

Most school districts aren't looking for people to come join them, it's too hard to calculate their needs from year to year if they make it easy so they make it way more than private school would cost. Also, no transportation provided and all your kids' schoolmates won't leave nearby and unlike sending your kids to private school, their parents won't care to drive them to you for get togethers and school projects.

No lottery or application process.
More than one Huntington Bay resident has attended Cold Spring Harbor over the years but I am not sure CSH still offers this. The general public would not necessarily know about this. Other districts may offer this expensive option but, again, it is not widespread and you would only know by calling the district itself.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:31 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
As others have stated not impossible but not too common. It is far more common if you have a special needs child where districts often have too few of their own to start a class so there is a reimbursement for things connected with that child including busing.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:43 AM

184 posts, read 805,971 times
if the school will allow it, your looking between 10k-12k a year.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
I've heard of this happening only if the child is a special needs student and your own school district does not have a program set up for that.

For example, about five years ago I was told that someone who had a child with special needs, was not able to attend their own school district b/c the school district did not have classes set up for this so this child was able to go to attend a school out of district for those classes. However, I was under the impression that since then, all schools on LI must have a plan implemented for special needs kids living in their district.

This is the only way I have heard of a child being "allowed" to attend another district. A family member of mine used to work in the superintendants office and they told me that when the school finds out a child (who should not be attending that school b/c they are out of district), the parent or person who is saying this child resides at this address, when they really don't gets into a lot of trouble (not sure what kind). I know the schools frown upon this for years now.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:00 AM

198 posts, read 779,490 times
K thanks guys, I'll contact blue point district.

We live less than .5 miles away.. I didn't think we would be living here by the time kids are school aged .. Have 1.5 years left but none of the good school districts are within our budget. Long island just sort of sucks for the money
I'll be driving my kids to school anyway... Hovering parent here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island