Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 06:02 AM

5 posts, read 8,531 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I recently brought this house in the zip code 11758. I got the house at a great deal and the block I'm on is excellent, but not too far down, there are areas that look very run down. I knew of the issues regarding the school district and how my mailing address is listed as Massapequa but SD is amityville. My kid is currently 2 years old but when she turns 5, I am prepared to send her to private school. My question is should I give the public schools a chance, send her to private school, or if the market improves just move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 AM

886 posts, read 2,646,156 times
I have been an elementary school custodian for over 25 years and I assure you that 5 year old children see no color or socio-economic standing. It's the parents who do. I grew up in a racially mixed area in the 60's and we all got along. Again-the only ones who didn't were the adults.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:47 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianX View Post
Hi everyone, I recently brought this house in the zip code 11758. I got the house at a great deal and the block I'm on is excellent, but not too far down, there are areas that look very run down. I knew of the issues regarding the school district and how my mailing address is listed as Massapequa but SD is amityville. My kid is currently 2 years old but when she turns 5, I am prepared to send her to private school. My question is should I give the public schools a chance, send her to private school, or if the market improves just move?
That is exactly what turned me off about buying in that area. Has nothing to do with the few blocks that look a little run down but the school district itself. Has nothing to do with socio-economy and kids not seeing certain things like adults do. I know many people who live there, friends and family and they have all mentioned the drug problem and how bad that school district is. It's rated a 4 out of 10. If you search the schools and review the Math and English state scores they are just passing (passing is 650) or just slightly over passing. Some schools don't even list a report card to see the mean average. If you can afford private school, then I would suggest that. I doubt the market will turnaround in 3 years where you'll end up with a profit.

Last edited by bellakin123; 03-20-2012 at 01:24 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 03:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
I have been an elementary school custodian for over 25 years and I assure you that 5 year old children see no color or socio-economic standing. It's the parents who do. I grew up in a racially mixed area in the 60's and we all got along. Again-the only ones who didn't were the adults.
If only it were that simple. The lackluster quality of the school district itself, not the school demographics, would be the issue.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:49 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
The only true thing to look into is the elementary school you are zoned for.

Call the school up and take a day for a little tour.

Often in the less fortunate districts, the elementary schools are still well maintained, kids interested in learning, good teachers, etc.

The MS and HS are where you may likely have to invest in 7 years of private school. Though that is not without its benefit.

Amityville HS is a tough place, I can tell you that. They have historically had a lot of teacher turnover, partially because the SD is tough, and partially because they are one of the lowest paid in the county.

I'd wager though the elementary school will be a good learning experience.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:50 PM

5 posts, read 8,531 times
Thank you all for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island