Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:17 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
why would you insult a famous lion like that?

he just can't waittttttt, to be Kingggg!!
As I said, if Simba really wants to be king he has to move to NY or LA.

You're not allowed to be king living in BFE.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:19 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Sorry I don't feast on Alligator as a normal every day meal..I only consume the finest dining the Island has to offer...such as Sonic.
I believe you mean bagels and pizza. Come on, get with the program!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
thanks to mother nature & chance, I finally caught the squirrel that had been living in my car... :

Squirrel release

This has been a battle since the beginning of winter. One day my check engine light comes on. O2 sensor is busted. Months later my gas is leaking. Techs found something has been living under my hood and biting random things beneath. Some weeks further, it's the gas line again. $600 in repairs later, I find leaves and branches in a pocket under the hood, but no squirrel. Home Depot, purchase trap, set peanuts inside... it's managing to grab the peanuts without tripping the trap - free meals for weeks.

FINALLY, today I see it climbing into my undercarriage. I open the hood and out it runs. Leaves are overstuffed in the pocket under the hood once again, but there's something still moving inside. I find 3 newborns and the squirrel watching my every move nearby. I place the babies into the cage and a couple hours later it goes for them. This is the release about 2 miles away from the house - complete with some of the garbage it stuffed into my engine compartment.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:20 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Wow!!! I did not know squirrels went inside the hoods of cars and made nests too. That's terrible but at least you released them. What happened to the babies??? Did she come back for them??? The ruined my siding and ate the wires for my secrity cameras had to replace all the siding and soffets and have the camera's replaced. SOB'S! They used to eat the tops off of my grandfathers tulips every year, he set a trap like yours with PB and peanuts, caught them and released them in a nearby park. It used to aggrivate him.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Wow!!! I did not know squirrels went inside the hoods of cars and made nests too. That's terrible but at least you released them. What happened to the babies??? Did she come back for them???
kinda interesting... it showed so much concern for them after it ran away from under my hood, but once caught, it was frantic and trampled one of them a bit. Then when I went to release it, it ran out without even grabbing one (you could see it was trying to hold one in its mouth before the gate was open). I left everything that was in the cage in a box under the tree it climbed up. So perhaps it went back for them, but I had left already. They were still alive. Judging by the amount of leaves it shoved into my hood, they need to be really sheltered but for the few hours while I was trying to lure it into the cage, they were exposed. I still classify them as rodents and just did what I had to - I wasn't going to kill them though.

I still have a few more to catch, just to be sure. And to make my $30 worthwhile.

Oh and mechanics mention it's not uncommon for them to nest in cars during the winter... heat source and all. I had a sound barrier which is made of foam on the underside of the hood ($150 I have yet to replace) which it chewed up and stuffed into crevices. I had taken that out afterward and it still persisted with leaves, branches, newspaper pieces, and plastic wrappers.

Last edited by ovi8; 03-20-2012 at 07:28 AM..

Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,772 times
Let me just add it is illegal to trap and release squirrels since they are considered rodents just like rats.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:56 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
Let me just add it is illegal to trap and release squirrels since they are considered rodents just like rats.
People do it all the time.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
It states this in the instruction manual that it may be illegal. Do you have a source?

Home Depot removed the sale of some pesticide because it was deemed illegal, yet they openly sell these rodent traps in all their stores in the area. So I didn't bother to look into it. Is the act of releasing the illegal part? Because professionals trap too.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:41 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
Too lazy to read all 5 pages, but has anyone suggested just going up there with a BB gun and/or a bowl of antifreeze?

Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Too lazy to read all 5 pages, but has anyone suggested just going up there with a BB gun and/or a bowl of antifreeze?
IlonaG did, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island