Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:10 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKE3714 View Post
Look around on Craigslist. Check on any realtor website that shows rentals. You will see many house shares.

Because of the high taxes a lot of people will rent out an empty bedroom in their home to someone to help pay the their taxes/mortgage.
Apparently you know best. However the person who would agree to $700/month for a bedroom would obviously have some real issues, and I wouldn't dare put that person in the room next to me. Have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 07:40 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
LKE3714, So you really don't know the numbers either. I still doubt it is as popular as you are trying to make it seem.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:18 PM

26 posts, read 126,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
LKE3714, So you really don't know the numbers either. I still doubt it is as popular as you are trying to make it seem.

If you really expect me to know an exact number or a number even close to how many are out there, then wow. There are a lot. Like I said, check craigslist, check realtor sites like MLSLI.com, they all have rentals listed that are house SHARES where people can rent out a room in your house and have access to the rest of your house. A lot of them are even in the 1000s if they have private entrances. It most certainly is a common thing. Here, I'm assuming you never even checked craigslist like I said, so I will make it easier for you:

long island rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

There is a list of all of the ads for Rooms for Rent on Long Island, and those are just ones that are on Craigslist.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:21 AM

372 posts, read 740,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
All you have to do is look at the craigslist ads. It's very popular, especially when to rent a whole apartment cost $1100 and up.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:51 AM

26 posts, read 126,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
All you have to do is look at the craigslist ads. It's very popular, especially when to rent a whole apartment cost $1100 and up.

Thank you LOL. I knew I wasn't the only person who was aware of how popular this is. How can it not be when like you said, trying to rent a whole apartment to yourself will be at least $1,100 and even then it'll most likely be a studio apartment.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:21 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,209 times
Quote:
That is exactly what he was going to do, the house share and sell for $750 with everything included and access to kitchen, living room, basement, W/D, backyard, and computer room. There are plenty of house shares out there that are more than $700 a month, some are even $1,000, we're only asking for $700 and with the price of apartments and everything on the island, I'd say it's a pretty good deal. I'm just trying to find someone to help us find people because ads on Craigslist are not cutting it.
Just wanted to add you may try going to Hofstra just down HT. Maybe a grad student, law, medicine, business, etc. would be a good roomate. You may need permission to post on the boards there.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:28 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
dont do it.
Could not agree more. When I lived in Nassau early in my marriage, we needed extra money.

We rented an extra room with a bath and shower to a quiet somewhat "older" student (24?) from Farmingdale College. She was crazy. She had rotting food in her room (down stairs of a split) and the whole house stunk.

She stopped going to class and just holed up in there watching TV and eating. The dishes piled up.

The came the cats...they had kittens.

Once we were having guests over and she came upstairs screaming that we didn't like her.

It was horrible. Her mother had to remove her.

We should have just cut down on cablevision. We were so into MTV at the time that cutting cable out was impossible.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:13 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I have two Handymen renting from me right now, and anything that goes south in my house gets fixed at the speed of lightening: plumbing, electrical, roof leaks, computer problems, you name it!

But one handyman is enough, what I need to do is find an auto mechanic to rent from me, and then I'll have my heaven on earth!

And I keep the rent low, keep lots of baked goodies around, sharing of my food, so they've never ever leave me!

Maybe you'll luck out like I have. The one handyman has been renting from me going on 13 years!

Would I rent to a student? Heavens no!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
That is what makes this country great. We are all entitled to our own opinion. I still stand by my original statement. I know it's done but on an overall basis I remain unconvinced that it is as popular as you state. Again, it is a subjective statement. Further, at least in the Town Of North Hempstead, unless there is a permit on file, it is not a legal rental. I wish you luck in your search.

Quote:
If you really expect me to know an exact number or a number even close to how many are out there, then wow. There are a lot. Like I said, check craigslist, check realtor sites like MLSLI.com, they all have rentals listed that are house SHARES where people can rent out a room in your house and have access to the rest of your house. A lot of them are even in the 1000s if they have private entrances. It most certainly is a common thing. Here, I'm assuming you never even checked craigslist like I said, so I will make it easier for you:

There is a list of all of the ads for Rooms for Rent on Long Island, and those are just ones that are on Craigslist.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post

But is it popular at the rate of rent the OP expects ... $750 a month for a room????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island