Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 06:33 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I swear some people should get better things to do than always complain ... especially when they're wrong!
the funniest part was that her son owned a tile company and would park it at her house, on the street overnight with commercial plates!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
Ok I'll give you a perfect example, we have a guy who has a semi trailer on his property all of the time. No one has ever complained about it as far as I know. The street is adjacent to mine. He always has something big parked on the street but not all of the time. I was told by another neighbor that he has the town and cops wrapped around his finger and not to bother complaining about him. He's also a jerk and my husband knows him because he's a customer. I say you are oepning yourself up to alot of trouble by ratting out someone else because then they can turn around and start ratting you out. We just mind our own business and keep our mouths shut. I would not want someone ratting me out. But I am still curious how this neighbor gets away with it. Payoffs to the cops???At least I don't live next door to him.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,446 times
At least in some towns you not allowed to have commercial trucks parked on the street, or in your driveway overnight. I think it may only extend to the front of your house, ie if you park it behind your house or in a garage it might be "OK"

Its an eyesore to have a large imposing truck parked ina residential neighborhood, if you have a business and need a big truck for it, you should have it either at your plaace of business or rent a place that you can park commerical, cost of doing business.

Having said that, if you were my neighbor and you have an F350 that isn't lettered, I wouldn't be complaining. if you have a box truck, I would though

Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,997 times
i also have to add that the woman who complained also had a neighbor with a semi in his driveway. she just couldnt win!!

Old 03-24-2012, 09:44 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times

Were the Islip Rangers anything like the Central Park Rangers?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
At least in some towns you not allowed to have commercial trucks parked on the street, or in your driveway overnight. I think it may only extend to the front of your house, ie if you park it behind your house or in a garage it might be "OK"

Its an eyesore to have a large imposing truck parked ina residential neighborhood,\\
Your more then welcome to close your eyes.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:58 PM

886 posts, read 2,646,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Your more then welcome to close your eyes.
Exactly. I live on Cynthia Lane in East Islip and we have a guy who is worse than Fred Sanford. He has three or four vehicles piled in his driveway in various states of disrepair but he's a quiet guy.Next door I have a lady with 10 pound dog that yaps all day long. Guess who the better neighbor is to me.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:03 PM

233 posts, read 720,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
They don't make it easy. Traffic code came after everything else, despite being Chapter 59. TC5 spells it out.

I found a list of Traffic Violations and associated fines:

Traffic Violations

I just read TC5 and it seems like the code is primarily addressing the parking of commercial vehicles on public streets.

There is a restriction for all trucks over 5,000 pounds on the streets that appear on Schedule M. Do you happen to live on a street on Schedule M?

Even still, there is a exclusion for pickup trucks, which I think F350 would qualify as a pickup truck.

Just wondering if you've called up the Town officials to ask specifically what code you are violating?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,213 times
There is nothing in the TC5 or traffic violations code that deals with parking vehicles on private property at all - what you need to do is find out what type of residence district you live in and check the ZONING section of the Town Code (Chapter 68) to see if you're in one where parking of commercial vehicles is prohibited. It looks like the only one where you're not allowed to park a vehicle with commercial registration is Residence AAA District, but I'm gonna guess that AAA district covers most residential areas in the Town of Islip. The map is not available online, unfortunately...

According to the DMV website, your only option is to turn your pickup truck into a makeshift RV to get passenger plates (ridiculous) -- although I'd double check your title and see if you actually are over 5,500lbs. unladen weight... especially if it's an older F-350. Even in that case, the title could be wrong - as dummies at the DMV routinely mistake GVWR for curb weight. If your's is a 2WD regular cab or an older model, there's a very good chance it's well under the weight limit.

Personally, I think all these laws are ridiculous... a standard 1-ton pickup truck is a commercial vehicle but a 6,000lb. soccer mom SUV is a station wagon? Give me a break...

Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,699,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
There is nothing in the TC5 or traffic violations code that deals with parking vehicles on private property at all - what you need to do is find out what type of residence district you live in and check the ZONING section of the Town Code (Chapter 68) to see if you're in one where parking of commercial vehicles is prohibited. It looks like the only one where you're not allowed to park a vehicle with commercial registration is Residence AAA District, but I'm gonna guess that AAA district covers most residential areas in the Town of Islip. The map is not available online, unfortunately...

According to the DMV website, your only option is to turn your pickup truck into a makeshift RV to get passenger plates (ridiculous) -- although I'd double check your title and see if you actually are over 5,500lbs. unladen weight... especially if it's an older F-350. Even in that case, the title could be wrong - as dummies at the DMV routinely mistake GVWR for curb weight. If your's is a 2WD regular cab or an older model, there's a very good chance it's well under the weight limit.

Personally, I think all these laws are ridiculous... a standard 1-ton pickup truck is a commercial vehicle but a 6,000lb. soccer mom SUV is a station wagon? Give me a break...
Technically everything from a station wagon to the largest SUVs are registered as "SUBN" meaning Surburban. I know its dumb...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island