Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:38 AM

16 posts, read 19,063 times

Advertisements

Ok this is my first post and I'm having an extremely difficult time deciding and hoping that I can get some insight and unbiased opinions from you guys... I am trying to decide if I want to go back to FL for schooling or do my schooling back in Ny. I am very active gym sports etc... I really enjoy south FL when I go visit family which I am very close to. They are one of the main reasons i am still giving FL an option. The heat is nice when i am poolside, beach or i can play basketball in just shorts etc. after a while living everyday life school work etc it starts to grate on me. I came down to south fl for college and was here for 2 years. It was awesome the fist year year and a half then the "paradise life" started getting old. I was missing the change in seasons and just missing some aspects of Ny, hopping on a train and the simple things we take for granted. If I stay in Ny I'd Borobudur still be living with my dad and if I was to go to Fl I'd be living with a friend splitting a home.... I know this is just a rambling on but if I could just get some opinions maybe from people that were in my situation or made the move and came back or whatever. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 06:37 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,317 times
Sounds to me like you are New York boy and that Florida is not for you. The people who want to leave NY seem to be the ones who are sure about it.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 PM

26 posts, read 126,663 times
As someone who lived in both NY and South Florida (Fort Lauderdale suburb) the only thing I liked about Florida is how cheap everything is compared to NY, but once I put that aside, I love NY 10 times more. It's easier to find jobs here, the education is WAY better, the cold doesn't bother me but if it does bother you then that'd be a negative, but overall I find NY to be a way better choice if you can afford to stay here.

Also, a lot of people think they want to move to Florida to get away from cold weather and it sounds like a fantastic option but when you live there all year and you're CONSTANTLY in heat and there is no real change of season, it gets old very quick. I hate hot weather and couldn't stand to live somewhere where it never goes below 65 unless it's winter and even then the coldest it usually gets is 50.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
It doesn't really matter unless you can get a job. My suggestion is to go on some job boards and posts resumes. At least you will have some options that will help the picture a little more. Personally, I tried Florida on two different occasions and both times I wound up back on Long Island.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:56 PM

185 posts, read 457,422 times
im trying to move back to FL myself. the only thing keeping me here is my good job...even though the money isn't the best. I'm nervous about taking a risk and jumping ship because I cannot afford to miss a paycheck.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM

26 posts, read 126,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post
im trying to move back to FL myself. the only thing keeping me here is my good job...even though the money isn't the best. I'm nervous about taking a risk and jumping ship because I cannot afford to miss a paycheck.

I don't know what career you have but it's harder to get a job in Florida than it is up here for the most part. If you really want to move back I strongly suggest securing a job before moving down there. Part of the reason I left Florida was because I couldn't find a job. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Everyone that is saying to make sure you can get a Job post resume etc. I'm in school and I work at a restaurant. I don't really have any serious tie downs as far as a job goes as of yet.... What are some aspects that you should really base your decision on when moving somewhere? Wouldn't it be better for me to get out on my own with a friend or do you guys think it is more beneficial to stay with. My father in the meantime?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:07 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Ive had several friends (im 24) move to Florida and then come back to Long Island rather quickly. Reasons given were: too hot/no seasons, hard to find a job, much higher crime rate, missing family/friends, and plain boredom.

I have one friend who hated Florida so much he swears he will never even visit the state again in his life. Everyday he was living there I got text messages about how Florida sucks, how boring it is compared to Long Island, etc. It got to the point where I said "bro why did you even bother moving?" ... he was back on Long Island by the end of the month.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 PM

Wow.... Really? Thats funny. While I was there I use to text one of my good friends back on LI with the same stuff. The only reason I'm considering it is because I have a place to live with a friend that is literally 2 mon from the beach. A 5 min walk to a strip full of bars restaurants and clubs. Seems like it would be the perfect place?! Now I'm starting to wonder if it would even be worth it...

Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM

185 posts, read 457,422 times
I've never heard anyone say FL sucks; especially how much WIHS's friends are downing it. Yes it's hot, yeah there are no true change of seasons (just cooler weather in the winter), it can be hard to find a job outside of a major city. However, I beg to disagree with the much higher crime rate. Yes there are areas that are not as safe as others (as it is everywhere in the world) but I've never not felt safe even driving through crappy areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island