Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:26 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
What's a raise?

Its something that WE aren't privy too....

In the past 2 years i actually took a decrease, while expenses (inventory/gas/oil/tooling) went up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 AM

148 posts, read 556,967 times
Classic Citydata thread....

1. Starts out about villages

2. quickly moves to teacher bashing

3. unsubstantiated claim about an extraordinary contract (10% for CI)

4. Unfair contract for one group means ALL teachers are greedy

5. Finishes strong with working class martyr's sob stories

I am a teacher in a central Nassau district. We are getting 0% raise and .5 step and 1% raise with no step over the next two years---That my friends is more indicative of contracts negotiated in the last year or two.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:30 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post

I am a teacher in a central Nassau district. We are getting 0% raise and .5 step and 1% raise with no step over the next two years---That my friends is more indicative of contracts negotiated in the last year or two.
You are correct, my error. The CI contract is 3.5% average COLA for 10 years and 3.8% Step increase, 26 steps. Total around 7.3% per year from 2005 to 2015. They are the worst of the lot but many districts were in the 6-7% range.

Steps are almost never renegotiated and usually 2-4%, most districts only took a temp freeze on the the COLA, not the Steps. What district do you know of where steps are only .5%.

Many districts froze COLA's but retained steps, your example is not the norm. Additionally, only expired contracts were renegotiated made changes. Many districts are still under contracts not up for negotiation and enjoying the benefits.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 AM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:

Please don't confuse the teacher bashers with real facts. It is so much more fun reading their fantasies about the high raises and short hours of Long Island Teachers. (PSST - I heard teachers get huge raises, free medical, pay no property taxes, make 500K like that Syosset teacher, and work a half a year - pass it on)

Old 03-31-2012, 09:39 AM

148 posts, read 556,967 times
There are some districts who are starting to get the idea that with the Tax Cap step increases are going to need to end or become much, much, much more infrequent..Sachem just did something with theirs I believe.

They are a district that renogotiated mid contract..it can be done if both sides are reasonable. Even that Fred Gorman guy praised their union for seeing how bad the economy is.

On the other hand Lindenhurst ( i think it was them) was just in Newsday for rejecting a contract with 1% raises and is now facing big layoffs. As a teacher I can't understand how some senior member of a union dont want to save jobs. According to the news the vote was 54-46% against.

As for 7.3 percent increases that is just ridiculous. IMO thats about 7.0 % to high.

I would rather not say what district I am in...don't want to be too identifible but we did agree to what I previously posted..and I can proudly say that less than 10 members voted against what to me is a very reasonable contract in these times...of course Newsday dint even mention it on page a30--where they bury any good news about teachers.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:41 AM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You are correct, my error. The CI contract is 3.5% average COLA for 10 years and 3.8% Step increase, 26 steps. Total around 7.3% per year from 2005 to 2015. They are the worst of the lot but many districts were in the 6-7% range.

Steps are almost never renegotiated and usually 2-4%, most districts only took a temp freeze on the the COLA, not the Steps. What district do you know of where steps are only .5%.

Many districts froze COLA's but retained steps, your example is not the norm. Additionally, only expired contracts were renegotiated made changes. Many districts are still under contracts not up for negotiation and enjoying the benefits.

Are you saying that the average teacher's salary during the year's 2005- 2015 went up a total of 65%. So if you were hired at 40K in 2005, your pay would be 65K in 2015? Outrageous.

I would never generalize with limited information but I can say my district does not have steps for those teachers who have been working 20 years or more. Also, for those below 20 years, steps are actually only every other year. Further, they took a freeze (pay and step) for the last two years. The year prior (2009-2010), the raise was COLA only. I don't know about next year. Over 25 teachers and two administrators were laid off over the last two years.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't know of one district that had a hard freeze (no COLA or Step) even recently renegotiated contracts. The contracts that were in place the last few years reaped big benefits, while districts had a tough time balancing their budgets.

Quite a bit of negotiation and expense goes into contracts, I don't think you you want to spend the time each year. Central Islip went the opposite way, they signed a 10 year contract in 2005 with around a 10% increase each year, not a good idea to go much shorter than 3 years or longer than 5.
It appears that as recently as 1 year ago a total of 20 districts had agreed to salary freezes, mine included.

April 2011:

Teachers in 2 districts OK pay freezes
Quote:
Teachers in the Three Village School District and the Jericho School District have separately agreed to salary freezes, similar to recent action taken by at least 18 other public school systems on Long Island.
In the Three Village district, teachers will not get a 2.8 percent "step" increase for the 2011-12 school year, which the district said will save $2.1 million and preserve 25 instructional...

http://unitedteachersofnorthport.com/files/UTN_Open_Letter.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
In Three Village, teachers have agreed to roll back their 3% increase in 2010-2011 to 1%, while maintaining increment and
receiving a cash payment equivalent to 2% in June 2011.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:12 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,941 times
Quote:

So only take 30k this year and give the rest back.....

Be like us martyr's.....

. So only take 30k this season. . . and give the rest back....

Last edited by LIMA; 03-31-2012 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: the year i meant few months

Old 04-01-2012, 10:33 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It appears that as recently as 1 year ago a total of 20 districts had agreed to salary freezes, mine included.

April 2011:

Teachers in 2 districts OK pay freezes

http://unitedteachersofnorthport.com/files/UTN_Open_Letter.pdf (broken link)
You have to look at the total increase for each year, many of those mentioned in the first article are only a one year freeze of either step or COLA.

The Northport was a 1/2 step for 2 years still amounted to increases of 1.6% from the step and a 1% COLA for most of the contract. That is not a freeze.

They received increases of 6.5 % each year on the last contract and now they still want raises, there should be a hard freeze. The teachers union rep didn't address the the particular's and had a vague and rambling response. The District and the negotiator approved the contract but the union voted it down.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:00 PM

1,308 posts, read 1,664,894 times
Quote:
Even that Fred Gorman guy praised their union for seeing how bad the economy is.
Sorry to say the current revolt against school district funding is not about the economy but rather about the inherent inequity built in to the system that the non-municipal employee has become aware of. We are all tired of providing for teachers, cops, firemen, etc... retirements in addition to our own. Maybe it made sense forty years ago when the pension benefit equalized total compensation. But now? Not when teachers and cops here on LI easily approach six figures after a decade on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island