Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:20 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times

Advertisements

Don't forget according to the book "The Millionaire Next Door", the number one occupation of male millionaire's wife is teacher. So that 100K teacher salary, with a juicy pension and medical and summers off and all holidays off is icing on the cake.

Teachers are paid fairly. I dont think we should cut their salary. But new teachers should not get a pension or medical in retirement. They should chip into a 401K and the school district do a match in good years and no match in bad years.

It is the pension and medical time bomb that is killing tax payers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:36 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
LOL So how many of these male millionaires' wives live on Long Island and are public school teachers? 0 to one thousand or somewhere in between? This could be one of my favorite city data stats.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
LOL So how many of these male millionaires' wives live on Long Island and are public school teachers? 0 to one thousand or somewhere in between? This could be one of my favorite city data stats.
Well every one of my kids female teachers husbands (which are like 99% work), one her husband is a Veterinarian, the other a General Contractor, one works on Wall Street, most their husband earns more.

On the South Shore you see teachers driving in from Dix Hills, Roslyn, etc. Teachers dont live in blue collar towns like Baldwin, Island Park, Oceanside, East Rockaway. Why should they.

Women in general and this is another stat try to date only guys who make more than they do. Which is part of reason Professional, college educated Women who plan on working after Children have a much higher household income than similarly educated men.

My friend a big four Partner making 600K a year only wanted to marry a women who would be a stay at home wife and looked good. Married a pretty girl eight years younger out of some BS Florida School.

His female co-workers at that level making 600K all have husbands who are CFOS etc. Making 700k to one million a year.

Average teacher household income is most likely 200K to 800k.

No women goes to Harvard to marry an unemployed Janitor. But plenty of rich guys will basically marry any female who is hot and nice even if she makes peanuts

Old 03-24-2015, 08:59 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Don't forget according to the book "The Millionaire Next Door", the number one occupation of male millionaire's wife is teacher. So that 100K teacher salary, with a juicy pension and medical and summers off and all holidays off is icing on the cake.

Teachers are paid fairly. I dont think we should cut their salary. But new teachers should not get a pension or medical in retirement. They should chip into a 401K and the school district do a match in good years and no match in bad years.

It is the pension and medical time bomb that is killing tax payers.
The social compact for public employees used to be increased job security in exchange for below market compensation (compared to private sector workers). The dynamic has changed whereby compensation (salary plus benefits) in the public sector is far greater than those received by comparable non-public sector employees, along with the increased job security. The blame lies with both the unions (or equivalent) on behalf of the employees, whose sole purpose is to get the most possible benefit irrespective of fairness or impact on the public's finances, and the elected officials who take the politically expedient route by capitulating to special interest groups because it will help them get re-elected while they know that the fiscal impact will not be felt until long after they are gone. This is the primary reason you see base salaries to be justifiable while benefits to be fiscally crippling and far out of line with the private sector - its much harder to quantify (and therefore easier for a taxpayer to misunderstand/ignore) the financial impact thereof.

The average voter is going to get more up-in-arms if a teacher is paid $200,000 (compared to their $75k) than if they are paid $100,000 but have no insurance deductibles, and full pension befits with 80% of salary at retirement after 20 years because you are no longer comparing apples to apples. This is particularly true if the employee is not due to retire for another 20 years.

The system as it stands now is not sustainable.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:01 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
Quote:
Well every one of my kids female teachers husbands (which are like 99% work), one her husband is a Veterinarian, the other a General Contractor, one works on Wall Street, most their husband earns more.

On the South Shore you see teachers driving in from Dix Hills, Roslyn, etc. Teachers dont live in blue collar towns like Baldwin, Island Park, Oceanside, East Rockaway. Why should they.

Women in general and this is another stat try to date only guys who make more than they do. Which is part of reason Professional, college educated Women who plan on working after Children have a much higher household income than similarly educated men.

My friend a big four Partner making 600K a year only wanted to marry a women who would be a stay at home wife and looked good. Married a pretty girl eight years younger out of some BS Florida School.

His female co-workers at that level making 600K all have husbands who are CFOS etc. Making 700k to one million a year.

No women goes to Harvard to marry an unemployed Janitor. But plenty of rich guys will basically marry any female who is hot and nice even if she makes peanuts
This entire post is based off of "gut feeling" not real statistics.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:13 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cml View Post
It's 1 or the other, we cut down superintendents can merge/consolidate school districts or we overthrow the unions and eliminate tenure something has to done
That's what Cuomo and the Common Core Crew are attempting to do. They will eliminate teachers through review (2 years inefficient and they lose their license) then brand schools failing (closing them and bringing in charters.)

For profit education at the taxpayers expense to payback Cuomo's backers.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
All LI needs is ONE school district, but I don't see consolidation of any kind happening here. It's everyone and their little fiefdom with a moat around it for perpetuity, while the high tax whining goes on and on and on...

Y'all can keep it and do whatever you want. I'm sick of this place after living here most of life, and have one foot out the door.
One school district? The Town of Brookhaven and Smithtown combined has almost as many residents as the entire state of Vermont.
Other states make do with countywide districts; I've heard Henrico County, VA mentioned. It's 245 sq miles compared to Suffolk's 2,373 sq miles. St John's County, FL is 821 sq miles. Suffolk would need to be carved into smaller, more manageable districts, and even then, someone would be complaining that there was racial gerrymandering.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
This entire post is based off of "gut feeling" not real statis, I ics.
My sister is a teacher, two cousins teachers and I dated a few teachers when I was single and I have three kids in the long island public schools.

Teachers I date when single, usually wanted summers off, like to tan and were a big lazy. Lots of them also seem to date or marry Nassau County Cops or NYC Fireman, I guess theory is they both can retire early and they have someone to go to the beach with.

Last teacher I dated decided to avoid that value trap. She moved to Manhattan and did reverse commute so she could snag an investment banker. She wanted to quit working by 32 for good, ten year vesting, but was more than happy to quit immediately as she just broke five when I dated her.

I also dated a girl who get this was a secretary in the NYC Fire Dept and also got full Fire Dept benefits.

Thing I did not like dating civil servants they all seemed a bit lazy and unmotivated, think about it he Union gave them job protection, but vesting and years of service gives you the pension and medical. They cant switch jobs or even really move anywhere as they are tied down to one school district. My cousin for instance is only 34 and is teaching at the same elementary school she graduated from. So she did grades 1-6 there as a student, came back at 20 as an summer intern and got hired full time at 22. She is 34 and spent 20 years of her life going to that same school every day, how depressing.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:44 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
Quote:

So your answer is 0. Was a very funny stat to start with. The number one occupation of male millionaires' wives in the U.S. (who are working as teachers) really doesn't tell us how many Long Island female public school teachers are married to millionaires. Even with Common Core math. Even if it did, and it assuredly does not, I still wouldn't be jealous in any case of the husband or the wife.
That is separate and apart from the fact women may marry men who make more money than they do.Great examples!

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 03-24-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-24-2015, 10:03 AM

Lets get some Nassau County teachers to post their husbands salaries on here. Cough it up ladies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island