Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:08 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
My sister is a teacher, two cousins teachers and I dated a few teachers when I was single and I have three kids in the long island public schools.

Teachers I date when single, usually wanted summers off, like to tan and were a big lazy. Lots of them also seem to date or marry Nassau County Cops or NYC Fireman, I guess theory is they both can retire early and they have someone to go to the beach with.

Last teacher I dated decided to avoid that value trap. She moved to Manhattan and did reverse commute so she could snag an investment banker. She wanted to quit working by 32 for good, ten year vesting, but was more than happy to quit immediately as she just broke five when I dated her.

I also dated a girl who get this was a secretary in the NYC Fire Dept and also got full Fire Dept benefits.

Thing I did not like dating civil servants they all seemed a bit lazy and unmotivated, think about it he Union gave them job protection, but vesting and years of service gives you the pension and medical. They cant switch jobs or even really move anywhere as they are tied down to one school district. My cousin for instance is only 34 and is teaching at the same elementary school she graduated from. So she did grades 1-6 there as a student, came back at 20 as an summer intern and got hired full time at 22. She is 34 and spent 20 years of her life going to that same school every day, how depressing.
this one time, at band camp....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 10:26 AM

19,224 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
One school district? The Town of Brookhaven and Smithtown combined has almost as many residents as the entire state of Vermont.
Other states make do with countywide districts; I've heard Henrico County, VA mentioned. It's 245 sq miles compared to Suffolk's 2,373 sq miles. St John's County, FL is 821 sq miles. Suffolk would need to be carved into smaller, more manageable districts, and even then, someone would be complaining that there was racial gerrymandering.
A valid argument seeing the size/population of the county, I just counted 70 school districts in Suffolk, any reduction in that number would be a savings. I am sure that an equitable consolidation could be done if the people were committed ...............

Old 03-24-2015, 10:35 AM

147 posts, read 543,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ not to mention we don't want Brooklyn Tech sized schools and buildings in suburbia. Over 1k kids per grade. We didn't move here for that.
I went to Brooklyn Tech and there's nothing wrong with having 1K kids per grade. You form your own circle of friends just like everything else in life. I was a Bio-Medical Engineering Major so I hung out with my circle of 200-300 friends who were also taking those same types of classes. It was a wonderful environment and everyone was smart and friendly. There were around 8 engineering majors you could have chose back then and of course I didn't know any of the kids that were majoring in Industrial Design or Aerospace Engineering for example but thats ok. I'd love to see specialized but high schools in Long Island like they have in New York City.....but I digress....

Old 03-24-2015, 12:22 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,509,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
I have to disagree with your post, or at the least, clarify a few things!

Number one - most teachers are women, most end up being married, so their salaries are a second income and we usually assume (though it's not always true anymore with the younger couples) that the husband earns more. Thus the ability to own a very nice car, or take nice vacations, or have big expensive homes is a lot easier. Visuals don't tell the whole story, neither does knowing someone who can afford all that stuff tell the whole story!

However, if it's the husband who is the teacher, earning the most of the couple, then I can tell you from personal experience, your family income is not as big and there are no expensive cars, you have an average home, you rarely take vacations and there is absolutely no second home!

Number two - the union is only part of the reason we have high school taxes. You fail to mention that over the last 50-70 years on LI, there has been an incremental increase in salaries and benefits alongside increased costs and a high regional cost of living. School boards over the decades felt comfortable in good times, giving raises. Few ever looked ahead at what the consequences might be in decades to come! Lawyers for unions and school boards got into the routine of giving raises or perks based on what other local districts were getting, and it mushroomed over time. People were only thinking about what their contract would do for them during their career - no one was thinking what it would do for teachers in following generations! The same could be said of any company with contractual workers I am sure.

Number three - your comment about "ALL teachers who retire" getting bonus pay for unused sick days is just totally WRONG! Some, maybe most, districts, MIGHT have that provision in their contract, but certainly not ALL of them! There are LI districts who offer unlimited sick days each school year, with proof of being sick from a doctor, BUT NO PAY OUT for unused sick days at retirement! So there are many teachers who do not get to add some amount to their final average salary to boost their pensions! This also goes for administrators - and again, it depends on their contracts, if they have a contract. For example, if a former teacher becomes a superintendent or assistant superintendent, they may have to negotiate getting a pay out for unused sick days as a teacher before they become an administrator - because some admininstrators do not get any provisions for sick days or pay outs for unused sick days at retirement from their superintendency. All of this is fact.

Number four - I don't know where you live in the town of Huntington or what size home you have, but my TOTAL property tax bill has never gone up by more than $400 a YEAR, and that includes school tax.

Number five - are you saying teachers shouldn't be allowed to marry other teachers? It seems to be a big bugaboo for you that their combined salaries allow them to afford the good things in life. Young teachers tend to meet other young teachers in their building or district, so it makes sense that they'd be likely to marry other teachers! I'm sure that happens a lot in large companies with a couple hundred employees.

Your huge bias against teachers is showing! You don't have to like it that they make good money on LI, but to attack individual teachers for what they have seems rather disingenuous. Individual teachers don't set the rules or negotiate their own little contracts - the system sets it in place for them. Politicians don't get rid of teacher's unions because they like the contributions to their campaign funds. Cuomo is attacking them now because he got very large contributions from the charter school billionaires. Ruining the public school system of NYS isn't going to do our children any good.

Lowering salary increases, asking for more contributions to the teacher's pension each year, asking for more contributions to their health care policies, changing contract structure so that step increases are far fewer or gone altogether, changing the Triborough Agreement and other ideas will help lower the tax bills for LI and NYS. Voting for school board members who will realize the fairness of these ideas and implement them in your district, is your responsibility.
Here's what I can tell you from personal experience...my over the hill, exhausted, hating her job aunt just kept accruing more and more $ in annual salary/pension/annuity. Took bs credits in college for extra $ to add to salary/retirement. She's now living in a mortgage free home in a tony town on the north shore, taking cruises four to five times year, buying new cars, buying a second place down south. No, no portfolio other than 40 years of teaching (miserably). So she retired at an outrageous salary, nasty to kids AND staff, protected by the union, when two to three new teachers with hope could've been instructing those students. The unions and tenure ship have to go!!

Old 03-24-2015, 02:06 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhasset hills1 View Post
I went to Brooklyn Tech and there's nothing wrong with having 1K kids per grade. You form your own circle of friends just like everything else in life. I was a Bio-Medical Engineering Major so I hung out with my circle of 200-300 friends who were also taking those same types of classes. It was a wonderful environment and everyone was smart and friendly. There were around 8 engineering majors you could have chose back then and of course I didn't know any of the kids that were majoring in Industrial Design or Aerospace Engineering for example but thats ok. I'd love to see specialized but high schools in Long Island like they have in New York City.....but I digress....
My wife went to tech too, so we are aware of how it works out there. It's a competitive school "centrally" located and accessible by mass transit. Not only would such a building not fit our neighborhoods, the logistics of transportation do not work. Would it really be ideal to have kids driven or thousands bused in morning rush hour for god-knows-how-long to go to such schools that may be 3, 4, or even 10 towns over? That doesn't work here even if you liked it better.

Last edited by ovi8; 03-24-2015 at 02:27 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 02:27 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
Quote:
My wife went to tech too, so we are aware of how it works out there. It's a competitive school "centrally" located and I don't think that type of thing fits our neighborhoods. We go to local schools in suburbia. She prefers this for our kids.

Even so, would it really be ideal to have kids driven or bused in morning rush hour for god-knows-how-long to go to such schools that may be 3 or 4 towns over? That doesn't work here even if you liked it better.

Not only that - large schools work well where everyone has a good IQ and are generally well-behaved. But large schools just taking an unselected bunch of the local population - you get all sorts.... and then you have all sorts of problems (the kind of things that can be dealt with and headed off at smaller schools because of the intimacy and easy awareness in smaller settings).

Old 03-24-2015, 02:41 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
But large schools just taking an unselected bunch of the local population - you get all sorts....
/thread

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-24-2015, 02:58 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
A valid argument seeing the size/population of the county, I just counted 70 school districts in Suffolk, any reduction in that number would be a savings. I am sure that an equitable consolidation could be done if the people were committed ...............
Yesterday you mentioned you weren't familiar with funding allocation for the separate schools in each of the regions for Fairfax County. But why are they grouped in such a way? Is it purely geographical? And are there poor-performing districts within the same region as a great one?

Region 1 - Herndon, Langley, Madison, South Lakes and Oakton pyramids.
Region 2 - Annandale, Falls Church, McLean, Marshall, Stuart, and TJ pyramids.
Region 3 - Edison, Lee, Hayfield, Mount Vernon and West Potomac pyramids.
Region 4 - Robinson, Lake Braddock, West Springfield, South County, and Centreville pyramids.
Region 5 - Woodson, Fairfax, Westfield, and Chantilly pyramids.

When the term school district is used for VA, it's about the administration of these regions. They still have separate schools for each town, correct? So the poor performing kids are still segregated because of location (more caring and/or wealthy parents move into better performing areas).

When the term school district is used here, it is about each town for the most part. Maybe we could stand to have one or two administrations spanning the island (don't ask me how), but each town still would want segregation because of performance. That's the bigger issue with consolidation of the kids' schools. It doesn't happen there either, correct? Nobody paying any decent amount of money to be where they are would want that regardless of the greater cause (saving money).

Last edited by ovi8; 03-24-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 03:58 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
They still have separate schools for each town, correct? So the poor performing kids are still segregated because of location (more caring and/or wealthy parents move into better performing areas).
).
I can't speak for VA but you are right on the money in regards to where I live. One local RE Agent who posts on CD refers to it as "school hysteria". Funny we just bumbled into the right school zone because we liked the area. However, it doesn't always hold true - I have a friend who lives across town and is pulling her hair out because her million dollar house is zoned for a not-so-great HS here (she's not thrilled with the middle school either).

As far as county schools on LI, never gonna happen, logistically speaking it's not possible.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:06 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
My sister is a teacher, two cousins teachers and I dated a few teachers when I was single and I have three kids in the long island public schools.

Teachers I date when single, usually wanted summers off, like to tan and were a big lazy. Lots of them also seem to date or marry Nassau County Cops or NYC Fireman, I guess theory is they both can retire early and they have someone to go to the beach with.

Last teacher I dated decided to avoid that value trap. She moved to Manhattan and did reverse commute so she could snag an investment banker. She wanted to quit working by 32 for good, ten year vesting, but was more than happy to quit immediately as she just broke five when I dated her.

I also dated a girl who get this was a secretary in the NYC Fire Dept and also got full Fire Dept benefits.

Thing I did not like dating civil servants they all seemed a bit lazy and unmotivated, think about it he Union gave them job protection, but vesting and years of service gives you the pension and medical. They cant switch jobs or even really move anywhere as they are tied down to one school district. My cousin for instance is only 34 and is teaching at the same elementary school she graduated from. So she did grades 1-6 there as a student, came back at 20 as an summer intern and got hired full time at 22. She is 34 and spent 20 years of her life going to that same school every day, how depressing.
Great story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island