Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:31 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Yesterday you mentioned you weren't familiar with funding allocation for the separate schools in each of the regions for Fairfax County. But why are they grouped in such a way? Is it purely geographical? And are there poor-performing districts within the same region as a great one?

Region 1 - Herndon, Langley, Madison, South Lakes and Oakton pyramids.
Region 2 - Annandale, Falls Church, McLean, Marshall, Stuart, and TJ pyramids.
Region 3 - Edison, Lee, Hayfield, Mount Vernon and West Potomac pyramids.
Region 4 - Robinson, Lake Braddock, West Springfield, South County, and Centreville pyramids.
Region 5 - Woodson, Fairfax, Westfield, and Chantilly pyramids.

When the term school district is used for VA, it's about the administration of these regions. They still have separate schools for each town, correct? So the poor performing kids are still segregated because of location (more caring and/or wealthy parents move into better performing areas).

When the term school district is used here, it is about each town for the most part. Maybe we could stand to have one or two administrations spanning the island (don't ask me how), but each town still would want segregation because of performance. That's the bigger issue with consolidation of the kids' schools. It doesn't happen there either, correct? Nobody paying any decent amount of money to be where they are would want that regardless of the greater cause (saving money).
My comment on funding had to do with the special "fees" associated with areas of that county for road/sewer/rail projects (Ref: Real Estate - Tax Rates and Fees*- Fairfax County, Virginia ). There are no special fees/taxes for schools, as I said the school district submits their budget for approval by the county they are not a taxing authority.

The term "town" as used in NY may not be applicable, the only legal municipalities in the county is the city of Fairfax which is an independent city they own their schools but they are administered by the county school system (Ref: Fairfax, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) , the city of Falls Church and three incorporated towns, Clifton, Herndon, and Vienna, all use Fairfax County Public Schools. All other areas are unincorporated without separate governments.

I am sure there are schools with a disproportionate amount of upper/lower demographics that feed the school creating schools that perform better/worse than others with most being more balanced than not. Even among the LI schools their are schools that are perceived to better/worse because of what feeds them and I am sure people house shop based on these attendance zones. Very often the same town/village feeds 2 or more different school districts on LI and I read where this side of town is better than the other...yada yada yada . Where I live every high school is a specialty center so any student can apply for any program regardless of their school assignment. If selected they go to that school for everything, transportation provided.

As I said in another post Suffolk has 70 school districts that's ridicules and quite ineffective because each little fiefdom has the authority to tax. But after all it is for the children....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 07:00 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I can't speak for VA but you are right on the money in regards to where I live. One local RE Agent who posts on CD refers to it as "school hysteria". Funny we just bumbled into the right school zone because we liked the area. However, it doesn't always hold true - I have a friend who lives across town and is pulling her hair out because her million dollar house is zoned for a not-so-great HS here (she's not thrilled with the middle school either).

As far as county schools on LI, never gonna happen, logistically speaking it's not possible.
Same in St John's County, FL where my family is. They're out on the beach, which limits how far they can send students, while ensuring the enclave remains very valuable and bolstering the HS performance. Those more centrally located (or not out on a barrier island) are more easily moved around.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:45 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Same in St John's County, FL where my family is. They're out on the beach, which limits how far they can send students, while ensuring the enclave remains very valuable and bolstering the HS performance. Those more centrally located (or not out on a barrier island) are more easily moved around.
Yup same where I lived in FL. It was county schools but there were 'desirable' High Schools and middle Schools in the richer areas and 'bad' schools near the lower income areas. Simply having a county school system certainly dosent solve that issue.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Yup same where I lived in FL. It was county schools but there were 'desirable' High Schools and middle Schools in the richer areas and 'bad' schools near the lower income areas. Simply having a county school system certainly dosent solve that issue.

Schools also got rezoned all the time due to population growth. Myself, sister and brother all went to different high schools because of rezonings and building new schools.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:57 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post

It helps when you go back to bussing the kid around. Take rich white and bus to poor black, and vice versa. But ppl hate that.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:59 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post

Schools also got rezoned all the time due to population growth. Myself, sister and brother all went to different high schools because of rezonings and building new schools.

Yeah. they've tried busing here. That stopped. Of course magnets are still an option and that frees up seats in suburban schools for kids from the "inner city" (and I use that term loosely regarding Raleigh) to come to.

The re-zoning thing is overblown and not a big deal IMHO. I grew up on Long Island, never moved, and went to 3 different elementary schools. Big deal. At least the new schools are state of the art. They are building a new HS near me and should open when my youngest is ready for HS. I wouldn't mind getting re-assinged to it, but it's probably not gonna happen because my neighbors will throw a hissy fit if they try it.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yeah. they've tried busing here. That stopped. Of course magnets are still an option and that frees up seats in suburban schools for kids from the "inner city" (and I use that term loosely regarding Raleigh) to come to.

The re-zoning thing is overblown and not a big deal IMHO. I grew up on Long Island, never moved, and went to 3 different elementary schools. Big deal. At least the new schools are state of the art. They are building a new HS near me and should open when my youngest is ready for HS. I wouldn't mind getting re-assinged to it, but it's probably not gonna happen because my neighbors will throw a hissy fit if they try it.
To me it wasn't a big deal, but to others it may be. I had freedom of choice to stay in my HS if I wanted (I did) just didn't get buses the last 2 years I had to drive, my brother got sent to a beachside school and by the time my sister got to HS, the new HS had been built. There were portables at almost every school back then because the schools simply couldn't handle the influx of transplants. The 90s was a time of very rapid growth in FL though, from what I understand the school situation is much more stable now.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:33 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
It helps when you go back to bussing the kid around. Take rich white and bus to poor black, and vice versa. But ppl hate that.
How long is too long on a bus, though? My son was on a bus for 40 minutes when he was in elementary school The school was 2.5 miles from our bus stop. What ungodly hour would students have to be waking up if they were being bussed farther distances -- nevermind color. How many hours should a child have to spend on the bus, and doesn't that take away from time the child could be devoting to studying, doing homework, completing projects, playing outdoors to get some exercise?

Old 03-25-2015, 03:01 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
How long is too long on a bus, though? My son was on a bus for 40 minutes when he was in elementary school
longer the better. It will help prepare them for the 2 hour commute to work each way as a LI adult

Old 03-25-2015, 04:03 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
How long is too long on a bus, though? My son was on a bus for 40 minutes when he was in elementary school The school was 2.5 miles from our bus stop. What ungodly hour would students have to be waking up if they were being bussed farther distances -- nevermind color. How many hours should a child have to spend on the bus, and doesn't that take away from time the child could be devoting to studying, doing homework, completing projects, playing outdoors to get some exercise?
There are limits on how long you can be on a bus here if you're in your base school. If you are in a magnet or a "choice" school (which is no longer an option) all bets are off. If you're in your base school for elementary I believe the limit is 30 minutes.

However, this is just one reason why county schools won't work on LI. The other is what we deal with here - the weather. It's not uncommon to have enough snow to close school in Manhasset and just have rain in Massapequa. That kind of thing is a complete pain in the arse to deal with - trust me on this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island